43. Brady (Part 1)

43. Brady (Part 1)

"I'm sorry, but you know this guy?" I asked Sam. I guess what Crowley said earlier makes sense. If Sam has some connection to this guy, probably not the demon inside, then that would certainly complicate things.

Brady chuckled, sending shivers down my spine. "Brady hasn't been Brady in years," he said. "Not since, oh...middle of our sophomore year?"

"What?" Sam growled. I saw his hands go into fists.

"That's right. You had a devil on your shoulder even back then. All right, let it all sink in."

I put what Brady was saying in my head. So Sam had a demon watching over him when at Stanford? How in the hell could he not have noticed that?

"Wait, wait, Sam!" I screamed as he started towards Brady.

"You son of a bitch." His voice got louder. "You son of a bitch!" Dean and I had to hold him back—well, I got in front of Sam and tried to push him back with all my weight. "You introduced me to Jess!"

"Ding, ding! I think he's got it!" Brady crowed. "But it looks like you've moved on pretty quickly!"

"Shut up!" I bellowed, helping Dean keep Sam in line. It was difficult between the two of us. I could see a blazing fire in Sam's eyes, one that didn't look to want to die anytime soon.

"Damn it, Sam!" Dean shouted.

"I'm gonna kill you!" Sam roared.

"Enough!" I joined in.

Working together, Dean and I herded Sam out of the room and into another. All the while, Brady laughed, which made my blood boil. I turned around and almost barreled back into the room, but Dean nearly pulled my arm out of its socket when he grabbed me.

"Oh, no, not you too, Dak," he grunted as he threw me back into the loop. Dean spun me around so I could help act as a barrier between Sam and Brady. I could feel the heat running through my veins. I'd be pretty pissed too. I kind of was.

"Get out of my way!" Sam demanded.

"No," Dean said.

"Get out of my way, the both of you."

"There is only one way to win, and it ain't by killing that thing in there."

"Dean's right, Sam," I said softly.

"Well," came Crowley's voice. I hissed in surprise as the demon reappeared. "Sounds like you got him nice and fluffed. Thanks so much."

"Listen to me," Dean cut in. "We need Pestilence to get at the Devil, and we need Brady to get to Pestilence."

"Why?" Sam asked hotly. "Because Crowley said so? Because we trust him now? Like I trusted Ruby? Or like I trusted Brady back at school?"

"Look...do the math yourself," said Crowley. "If Lucifer wins, he'll turn this place into his kingdom. When the Morningstar cleans house, we all get the mop. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'd like to have a proper chat with him."

I snorted.

"Just keep the moose in line." Crowley eyed Dean and me. As Crowley went to talk to Brady, I went to Sam, who was still quivering from the rage inside. I rubbed his arms. I looked over at Dean.

"I got this," I mouthed to him. Dean nodded and disappeared into another room, leaving me with his angry younger brother.

"Look at me, Sam," I whispered. His eyes were still hostile, but the hostility wasn't meant for me. "You need to get a hold of yourself. You have to. It's not a good situation, we all know it. It's not easy, and I get it—"