41. West Nevada

41. West Nevada

There needs to be some variety in these cases. Too many hospital visits. Too many sick people. We were stuck in West Nevada, picking up the trail of the third horseman, a nasty son-of-a-bitch named Pestilence.

How we ended up on the horseman's trail was rather strange (but I'd been with the Winchesters for months now, so nothing should really sound that strange) and a bit gruesome at the same time. Before this road trip, we'd made a stop in Muncie, Indiana, at a rather nice four star motel. We found some strange happenings going on, from strange sightings to finding eyeball soup and a herd of people in a cool room. We got caught trying to free the people only to turn around and be escorted into—and I couldn't believe it myself at first, like with any new case—a conference room that held various gods ranging from many religions. It was just unfortunate luck on our part to have stumbled across the gods' conference.

The reason they'd gathered was simple: the apocalypse. To them, us finding the motel was a stroke of luck, because they were well aware of Sam and Dean and their importance to the whole apocalypse deal. We were held hostage, used as bargaining chips. Now, at this point, you'd think, well, why weren't you killed? You're not a vessel. You're not of any importance to them. Why would they want to keep you around? I, myself, thought that at one point in time too.

Let's just say an angel by the name of Gabriel saved my ass.

Actually, he saved all of our asses on more than one occasion in that place. Long story short, we couldn't escape so easily thanks to the goddess Kali; we had been bound to her thanks to a blood spell. None of us were happy about that. Gabriel tried to worm us out of that, which only resulted in tacking him on the spell as well.

The gods ended up finding out that Gabriel was an archangel (to this day, I still hadn't been given a lesson on what they exactly were), and Kali tried to stake him with an angel blade. Of course, he wasn't actually killed—the blade Kali had used was fake. In the end, Sam, Dean, and I reluctantly agreed to help the gods call Lucifer only under the condition that the hostages they had go free.

Lucifer ended up crashing the party, which was inevitable, looking back on it. And boy, did he look terrible. His vessel looked even worse the last time we had seen him, and that had been back in Missouri. He slaughtered most of the gods until Gabriel had stepped in when Lucifer had tried to kill Kali. At that point, Gabriel told the rest of us to get the hell out of the motel and run to safety and to take Kali with us.

We didn't know what happened to Gabriel until the next day. His way of telling us he was dead: at some point, he'd given Dean a Casa Erotica DVD, which was disturbing enough in itself. The fact that he starred in the film and used it to give us information made my skin crawl.

So, thanks to a dead archangel Gabriel, we learned that, in order to put Lucifer back in his cage, the four rings from the Four Horsemen were the keys to open the cage. Sounded pretty easy, right? We'd already gotten War and Famine. Two down, two to go.

That was how we ended up driving to yet another hospital, posing as CDC officials. We got in pretty easily once we arrived and got ahold of the nearest doctor we could who could catch us up on the illness break out. For all of our safety, we had to put on a surgical masks and be adorned with gloves.

"Check it out," Dean said. "I look like the king of pop."

I rolled my eyes while Sam let out a sigh.