39.5 - Healing

39.5 – Healing

You can do this, Dakota. You called, you made the appointment. All you got to do now is walk through those doors and see her. She'll help. You've already been cleared by a doctor.

I took Bobby's words and Sam's to heart. I dropped by the hospital after Bobby lent me a pair of keys. I checked out healthy, which was a relief to me. I could tell everyone some good news when I returned. Before my hospital visit, I had quickly researched nearby therapists and called. Luckily, I was able to be squeezed in.

So while Bobby remained at the house, and Sam and Dean were on their way to rescue Adam, I sat in the car, watching the sun set, staring down the office. Just one session. See where it goes. One session might be all that you need. I'm surprised the office is still open at this time of night. Most would be closed by now.

It took a lot of will power to turn off the car and physically walk myself into the waiting room. I told the receptionist my name and my time, and I went to an empty seat. There were a few other troubled people in the room with me. One was twiddling her thumbs. Another was on his phone, mindlessly scrolling. Another man had his head resting against the wall, eyes closed. I wondered what brought them here.

The man on his phone got called back first. Another lady called the only woman other than me back. I was the second to last to get called in. I followed my guide as she directed me to one of the rooms. A few other doors were shut. I heard the muffled voices. There's therapists here, not just one.

"She'll be here in a few minutes," my guide told me before shutting the door. I took a seat on the couch, putting my hands in my lap. I felt jittery, like I should have brought a weapon on me. Holy water or something so I knew I wasn't confessing my ordeal to a demon who probably caught the news through the grapevine.

There was a plant next to the couch on my right. There was a bookshelf full of volumes. A chair was opposite the couch, and behind the chair was a desk. The chair belonged to the desk as the desk didn't have one stationed behind it. The blinds were pulled on the windows, so I couldn't set the setting sunlight.

The door opened, and I jumped upright. This woman was (obviously) older than me, with streaks of gray in her dark hair. She dressed professionally.

"You must be Dakota," she greeted me warmly. "Doctor Bagley."

"Thanks for seeing me on such short notice. I don't know how many people you get like this."

"Not many. Please, sit." She took her seat in the chair across from the couch. She crossed her legs at the ankles. "So...where do you want to start?"

"Ease me into it, Doc. I'm not gonna spill my heart out for you easily."

"All right. Tell my why you're here."

"Well." I put hair behind my ear. "I've been dealing with a lot lately. My life's been crazy. I've been recommended that I find some help for myself, but I haven't had the time to until now." I wrung my hands. "Recently, I—I was..." I avoided eye contact with Dr. Bagley.