11. Garber, Oklahoma

It was the quiet game with Sam and me. I didn't like it one bit. We kept pretty quiet during our hitchhiking rides. None of our drivers ever asked for anything in return, a refreshing change. We got lucky when it came to who gave us rides.

Our trip took us to a town called Garber, located in Oklahoma. It felt like ages since Sam separated himself from Dean. At least I was with him on this not-so-isolation trip. The first chance I'd get, I'd call Dean and tell him what was going on.

It didn't take us long to get settled into Garber. The town name didn't sound too appealing to me. The town was small, almost reminding me of River Pass, back in Colorado. I tried to erase those memories from my head. I needed to focus on the present, and Sam.

We got dropped off at the Great Plains Motel, our new hideout. We were lucky enough to get a room with two beds. Not that we wouldn't have shared a bed; it was just less awkward that way.

Sam took some time to burn some of his old things in the sink: old fake IDs that I'd seen, old credit cards. I could use some of those for myself. I wonder if the search spread to Oklahoma. I wrinkled my nose. I shouldn't dwell on that too much.

"So, new start?" I asked Sam. "How're you going to manage that?"

"Got to work some place."

"Oh, so we're trying to be Mr. Normal now. What kind of job did you have in mind?"

"Any that I can take. It might be good for you to look into one too."

"Maybe." I chewed on the inside of my cheek. I wasn't too keen on the idea. Interviews meant names and other important information. I couldn't let that get leaked out. God forbid the wrong people caught wind and came looking for me.

"You want to tag along?"

I pursed my lips. "I don't know. I might just stay in today, properly rest and everything."

"Whatever you want."

"Just come back in one piece, and if at all possible, sober."

"I'm not an alcoholic, Dakota."

"Hey, I don't know what you do." I put my hands up in surrender. "But you owe me—"

"Yes, I remember. I'll give you story time soon."

"Thank you. Now, change out of whatever that is and go job hunt!"

* * *

Sam finding himself a job was actually pretty easy for him. He landed himself a busboy job at a bar. Granted, it wasn't the best thing in the world, but it kept him busy and out of trouble. As for me, I stayed in the first few days until I decided to accompany him to work. Since then, I remained there and kept a good eye on him.

There were a few things I noticed when at the bar: people loved to drink. Sam had a lot of work for him each time, and I could easily tell one of the waitresses—Lindsey—couldn't help but find him attractive. I felt like I took on the role of Dean, more or less, watching over Sam, making sure nothing happened to him. I mean, for all we knew, Lindsey could be a demon in disguise. It was a way out-there theory, but not impossible.

I kept myself isolated in a back corner of the bar, just keeping tabs. I watched as Lindsey threw darts at the board. Her accuracy made me envious. Sometime I'd want to try darts. I could tonight...Nah. Not worth the effort.