32. Famine

32. Famine

I shifted restlessly. The tub wasn't feeling so comfortable anymore. I moved to the toilet as I put the seat down. Sam wasn't faring much better. He was shaking. My arms were kept around my stomach, which was beginning to ache again. The fries were definitely not enough. I'd already chewed off all my nails. I was seriously contemplating biting my toenails next. Or Sam's nails.

This hunger needed to stop. I was craving food, sure, but I could find substitutes. I didn't want to find replacements, but if this kept up, I'd have no other choice. Either I got something, anything into my system, or I ended up dead.

"H-how long has it been?" I asked, doubling over from the hunger pains.

"It feels like a long time, huh?" Sam agreed. My hands were pulled apart, and one of mine was in his. Right now, I didn't pull away from the contact. Well, at least we aren't loving each other to death like the two couples had. Our hungers differ. What if Cupid was wrong about us being destined to be together? If that's true, why aren't we going insane from love? "They'll take care of it, Kota."

"I'm guessing you were all high senses when you tracked the demon into the alleyway?"

"I heard his heartbeat in the hospital, and I got a good smell. Earlier tonight was the same way."

"You've got the desperation of an addict in you, Sam. Me, I've got the desperation of someone who knows what it's like to starve." I gasped. "But this is temporary. We'll never be this way again once they take care of Famine."

"Too bad talking doesn't ease it any."

I laughed wryly. "Too bad." My head picked up at hearing a noise. I looked to see Sam jiggling the cuffs. The pressure on my hand increased. His hunger was starting to rise. Mine seemed to be killing more than driving me insane right now. "Keep it together, Sam. We'll get through this."

My eyes fell on the bathroom door. We both kept quiet; Sam stopped struggling against the cuffs. We both heard it: whatever had been planted in front of the door was being moved out of the way. Sam and I looked at each other. Dean and Cas couldn't be back already, could they?

No. I haven't stopped with my stomach pains, and Sam's shaking was only getting worse. This problem wasn't solved.

"Guys?" I rasped. "Guys, what happened? I don't think it worked. I think we're still—" My heart plummeted at seeing two unfamiliar faces at the bathroom door. I assumed these two were demons. "...still hungry."

"Look at this," the female crooned. "Someone trussed you up for us. Boss says we can't kill you...but I bet we can break off a few pieces. But you"—her eyes were on me—"he doesn't know about you, so you're free game."

The male broke Sam's cuffs, and Sam launched him into the shower wall. I stumbled off the toilet seat but was ripped out of the bathroom by the female. I went flying across the room, hitting the floor face first. I rolled over to see the female in pursuit. I scooted back as Sam launched himself at her, both of them crashed into the glass table. I was rooted to the spot as I saw Sam pick up a shard of glass and thrust it into her neck.