Alternate Ending #2

Alternate Ending #2

"Mommy, when is Daddy coming home?" my little girl asked, tugging on my jeans.

"Soon, baby. Why?"

"You always wait until he comes home before you make food." She looked up at me with his eyes, those big hazel eyes. "And I'm hungry."

"Fortunately, you're not a rabbit like your father." I picked her up into my arms. "That's a good thing. If I can train you to be like me, I can convert him too."

It had become a tradition since we moved in together that when he came back from work, we made dinner together. It was bonding time for us, and then we always talked about our day over food. Unlike some couples, we did almost everything together. He didn't come home and become lazy. He wasn't that kind of husband.

"Hey, hey, easy on Mommy's belly," I scolded my little girl as she kicked. "You forget your baby sister is in there."

"Oops, sorry." She reached down to pat my distended belly. "I'm sorry."

I kissed the side of Leah's head, which was a head full of straight, dark brown hair. She really had no say in her looks. Her hair was kind of a given. The eyes had been mine when she was first born, but overtime they changed to his.

I carried Leah outside so we could stand out on the porch and wait for him to come home. He was due any minute.

I had been hesitant to move back into a neighborhood, what with my track record. But he somehow convinced me to give them another shot. He was very persuasive when it came to it. No wonder he went back to college and finished up his major. Now look where he was, an on-the-rise lawyer. He got the job that he'd always wanted in the end. As for me, school was out for a bit. I wasn't due back to teaching until the fall semester. I kept away from teaching in the summer, especially now with Leah, who was almost five years old. Soon, she'd be starting school.

How time flew.

"He's here, he's here!" Leah crowed as the two-door car parked alongside my four door. I shook my head. Though it was a nice car, I still believed he had an early mid-life crisis. I guess one car wasn't good enough. It really wasn't when we both worked.

Leah wriggled in my arms as her father stepped out from his vehicle. He shut the door, his phone pressed to his ear. I sighed. He seemed almost as busy as a real estate agent, always on the phone. That was a consequence of the job, but he made up for it once he got the time.

"Okay, settle down, wiggle worm," I told Leah. "Daddy's on the phone. You don't want to interrupt."

"But—"

"Patience, Leah."

While we waited for him to get off the phone, Leah played with my hair. She'd been a puller around the terrible threes, but she grew out of it pretty quickly. Nowadays she wanted to make my hair look nice and style it. I wasn't sure if this was just a phase or if it was going to be a career path.

"Can I go now? Please?" Leah pleaded the moment he had his phone away from his ear.

"All right, go get him!" I set her down.

"Daddy!" she yelled, barreling towards him.

"Hey, baby girl!" He bent down to scoop her up into his arms. Her tiny arms got around his neck and they exchanged Eskimo kisses. My hands fell to my stomach, feeling my heart grow a size. She was such a Daddy's girl that it almost wasn't funny.