35. "Miss Social Butterfly."

I was more than happy to not be around Sioux Falls, South Dakota for a while. Of all the things I'd seen since joining the Winchesters, the zombie thing was the worst. People had been coming back from the dead in Bobby's town. It was especially difficult for him, as one of the said zombies turned out to be his wife. I was just glad we hadn't been in Maryland, because I could think up three family members of mine who would have come back. That would have been the worst thing for me. The memories alone would have killed me inside.

So after that awful time, we ventured away. Naturally, we booked ourselves a motel room. But things were different now, in a good way and a bad way. Speaking of the good way, we got backlash for it, Sam and I. Bobby wasn't as vocal about it as Dean had been, but he didn't approve of it. It didn't turn out into a screaming match, more like someone left once the argument was done in a heated huff. Mind you, that was before the zombie incident. When that happened, it was like the disapproval had dissipated in the air.

We were hunkering down for the night, but I was wide awake. I wanted to explore. I wanted to stretch my legs. No monsters, no zombies, no demons, just a walk. And I wanted it to be on my own. The boys looked like they needed a good few hours, or days really. And I thought my eyes looked bad. Theirs saw years of missing sleep.

"I'm surprised you don't want to go out," I voiced to Dean. "I mean, bars equal women."

"Not tonight." He took a sip from about the third beer can. There were already two on the nightstand near him. "You can go ahead and do whatever, just be careful."

"I'm surprised you still care." I snorted.

"Why wouldn't I?"

"You tell me," I said pointedly.

"You have your phone?" Sam butted in.

I held it up as proof. "Full charge. If I'm in any serious trouble, I'll call. If I'm not back by tomorrow afternoon at the latest, call."

"You plan on partying the whole night?"

"No, but I don't know where the night will take me." I shrugged. "Now, you two just lay in bed and sleep." I walked over to Sam's bed, bending over to kiss him. I frowned as I heard Dean make gagging noises behind me. I headed out the motel door, sparing Dean from seeing my middle finger. Stirring the pot wasn't going to do any good. He needed to get over this. Bobby took less time to get over it.

I inhaled the crisp night air. I tucked the phone away in my jeans, already having my night planned out. A bar sounded really appealing. Just a place to hang out and feel like a normal person for once. I needed some normalcy right now. Even my relationship with Sam didn't sound normal. It had to be because the hunting business brought us together.

I picked the closest bar I could find and entered. It wasn't too late yet, so it wasn't so crowded. My eyes located the pool table, and I felt the urge to hustle. It brought me back to my days when I traveled with Sam and stayed in Oklahoma. I'd done my fair share and collected a decent pool of money. Who was to say I wouldn't try my luck here?

I milled around a little, keeping to myself. I did carry some cash on hand. I found a table and sat all by my lonesome, observing. It was easy to see who was together and who friends were. I watched with high interest as a match of pool was going on near me. To me, pool was a game of patience and luck. If you played your cards right, you came out on top. If you didn't have luck on your side, or patience, you were almost guaranteed a loss. A decent aim also benefited you more than your opponent. A little trash talking could help you too, as it could in any game, but at the same time it could make things worse.