49. The Light in the Dark

"Reports are flooding in—a seven-point-six earthquake in Portland, eight-point-one in Boston, more in Hong Kong, Berlin, and Tehran. The U.S.G.S. has no explanation but says to expect a six-figure death toll."

This was just the latest news report Dean, Cas, Bobby, and I were all watching from a store window. I kept a fist to my mouth. Hold it together, Dakota. We're not done yet. Losing Sam to Lucifer was a hell of a blow, though. One I didn't expect to hurt so much.

"It's starting," Cas noted.

"Yeah, you think, genius?" Dean retorted.

"You don't have to be mean."

"So what do we do now?" I asked.

"I suggest we imbibe copious quantities of alcohol...Just wait for the inevitable blast wave."

"Yeah, swell. Thank you, Bukowski," Dean sassed the angel-now-human. "She means how do we stop it?"

"We don't. Lucifer will meet Michael on the chosen field, and the battle of Armageddon begins."

"Okay, well, where's this chosen field?" I asked.

"I don't know."

"Well, there's got to be something we can do."

"I'm sorry, Dakota. Dean. This is over."

"You listen to me, you junkless sissy," Dean snarled. "We are not giving up!" Dean looked at me and Bobby. "Bobby?" Now I looked to the older man. My lips parted as I saw no hope in his stature or his eyes. No, not him too. Not Bobby.

"Bobby?" I whispered.

"There was never much hope to begin with," the older hunter admitted. "I don't know what to do."

I swallowed down a nasty comment or two. Cas and Bobby could roll over and let the world go to shit, but Dean and I weren't going to. He and I were alone in this. There was a chance that we could still fix this. How, we still needed to figure out. But there was a way.

There always had to be a way.

Bobby, Cas, and I watched as Dean decided to walk away from the apocalyptic news reports. I didn't blame him, but I didn't want to be around the other two right now. Standing around them was sucking the hope out of me, what little I had left. I decided to tail Dean and found that he made his route back to the Impala.

"Going somewhere?" I asked.

Dean spun around. "No. Making a call."

"To who? Lisa?"

"No. I think I might know someone who knows where this showdown is gonna happen."

I nodded. "Mind if I listen in?"

I didn't see why it was necessary to sit in the Impala to do the phone call. But it was nice to sit down, though this was the last thing we should be doing. We needed to find Lucifer and Michael before they duked it out.

Dean put the call on speaker. It rang a few times before a voice answered.

"Mistress Magda?" asked a mousy voice.