Chapter 4

"Lex."

She ignored her friend as she continued to write frantically.

"Lex!"

Still ignoring him, she looked up only to look back down at her quill.

Vic slammed down three rather thick books right in front of her nose but Alexandria didn't flinch, she was used to this behavior. She slowly put down her quill and looked up at her friend.

"What is it, Vic?"

"Took you long enough! I'm hungry! Let's quit for the day," Vic complained.

"Go on without me, I want to keep working," Alexandria went back to work.

Vic groaned and he took her hands in his and pouted, "I skipped breakfast for you and your crazed work schedule and we're about to miss lunch...please I demand food or I swear you'll pay."

Alexandria sighed, "our N.E.W.T.S. start tomorrow!"

"Yeah, and with the amount of work we've put in all year and especially all this week, I say we're ready."

"You would, because you don't care!"

Vic gave a shrug, he honestly didn't care. He did care at one point, when they were fifteen; he had wanted to be an auror, knowing that it was his dream. But then everything changed when he learned about Alexandria's secret, now all he wanted to do was protect and care for her. He wanted to find that cure, he knew Alexandria didn't believe in it, many didn't--although there were legends about it, just like most things. But not all legends are fake and Vic believed that true for the cure of vampirism.

"You're exhausting, you know that?!" Alexandria shouted at him, throwing her papers around like a madman.

"I'm exhausting?! I'm exhausting?!" Vic puffed out his chest, glaring daggers at his best friend, before smirking slightly. "I know I am."

Alexandria frowned before giving a small smile, "I'm sorry...I just can't believe that this is it!"

Vic nodded, "you'll give it your all and do brilliantly like always."

Alexandria gave a deep sigh and nodded as she rubbed her eyes, "come on. Let's get you food."

Vic grinned, "that's all I've ever wanted."

Alexandria packed away all of her belongings, jinxing her bag to levitate as they walked, since she had every possible book in there. As they walked through the halls, Alexandria noticed a few more stares and glares directed her way more than usual. Possibly had to do with the party she'd attended about two weeks ago now. Ever since then, Scott Fairos had warmed up to her, talking more in class and walking around with her and even sitting at meals with her and Vic.

It made Alexandria feel...normal, and she was secretly enjoying the attention he gave to her. But a voice in her mind kept telling her it was only because she was a Veela and nothing more, why else would he take so long to talk to her?

"I know that look," Vic interrupted her thoughts with a snap. "Stop it."

"Don't know what you mean," Alexandria lifted her shoulders a little higher as they continued walking.

Vic shook his head but said nothing, allowing Alexandria time to dwell in her own mind.

"Alexandria pay attention to me or else!" Vic whined.

It took her a second to even register that they were in front of the kitchens, but they weren't alone. Ron Weasley and Harry Potter stood there looking slightly shocked. Alexandria tensed as she gazed at Ron Weasley. Even from six feet away, she could see his pulse quiver underneath his skin as they all stood gazing.