Chapter 15

My face goes white and my eyes go wide. My hands start shaking, and I run to the bathroom. I have to be dreaming. I splash some water onto my face, but when I look up, there is a bloody handprint on the mirror. So I do the only thing I can think of. I scream. I fall to the ground sobbing and shaking, and my face is as white as a ghost. Nash and Hayes come bursting into my room. "AVERY," they yell out. They run into the bathroom and find me on the floor. "Avery what's wrong?" Hayes asks in that comforting voice of his. I can't speak, but I point up to the mirror. They gasp. "B-but t-t-that's not all," I tremble. I shakily get up with the help of the Grier Brothers and I uneasily walk into my room. I pick up the note and show them. I don't know why all of this has to happen to me. Why me?
    I sit on the bed and continue to sob. I feel a pairs of strong arms wrap around me. Hayes lifts me up and puts me in his lap, and I sob into his chest. He strokes my hair and Nash is rubbing small circles in my back. I soon fall into a dreamless sleep.
   I wake up in Hayes' lap. What a wonderful day! Oh yeah. There's reality. I walk into my bathroom and look at my reflection in the mirror. I forgot all about the handprint. Seeing it makes me think of my mom. Darn it. Here come the waterworks. I lock the door and sit in the bathtub, sobbing. I try to be quiet but it's not working. I hear a bang at the door. "Avery open up," I hear but I don't say anything. I can't- I'm crying too hard. I hear more banging. Finally, I hear footsteps walk away. But, then they come back. I hear a jiggle at the door, and then Hayes comes bursting in. "Oh baby, don't cry," he whispers. He climbs into the tiny bathtub and wraps his godly, I mean strong, arms around me. We stay like there for about 5 minutes before I get up and start to get ready.
    "Can I use your bathroom?" I whisper to Hayes. "Yes, of course Princess," he says, using my favorite nickname. I quietly open the door and tiptoe to a sleeping Nash. I go over and gently shake him. "What?" He groans. "It's 7:25, it's time to get up," I say. "Oh yeah, thanks," he grumbles. Definitely not a morning person. I walk into Hayes' room and do my morning routine. You know, showering, clothes, makeup. I put on a Hayes Grier shirt and leggings and put my hair in a high ponytail. I go downstairs and grab a granola bar and my backpack. I decide to drive myself to school today. I needed some alone time.
Too soon, I pull into the parking lot. I walk in and let me tell you, it feels good not to be pushed into lockers, yelled at, and beaten. I get my textbooks and go to class. Fortunately, time flies and it's finally lunch. I go over to find Haydin talking to a boy. She sees me and smiles, and I wink and walk away. Hayes and I have the same lunch period, and I find him sitting at a table with some friends, stuffing his taco into his mouth (Taco Tuesday. Whoop whoop).
    "Mind if I join you?" I ask, smiling. "Come right ahead," Hayes says, grinning from ear to ear. "This beautiful girl is my girlfriend," Hayes says, continuing to grin. One of his friends pipes up, "it's about time you got her. She's the only thing you talk about." Hayes and I blush. "Oh um, I've been meaning to ask all of you, but one of Nash's friends is throwing a party, and I was wondering if you guys all wanted to come?" Hayes asks. "Sure," I say a little to cheerily. But I mean come on, it's my first high school party! All of the guys give a "sure" or "I'll be there." "Perfect," Hayes exclaims.
The rest of the day flys by, thankfully. I get home, grab an apple, and walk upstairs. I decide before I do anything to wipe up the bloody handprint. I go into the bathroom, only to find it gone! Hayes probably did it. I'll thank him later.
    I FaceTime Haydin, and she picks up on the first ring. (A/N Haha not in real life) "Give me all the deets," I squeal. "Well his name is Brent-," she starts, but I interrupt her. "Brent who?" I ask. "Brent Rivera," she blushes, as I squeal. "He came over and asked me out! I never told you, but I've had a crush on him forever," she says, totally fangirling. "Well then I have some good news... Do you have any plans yet?" I ask. "No, not yet," she confesses. "Well good, because Nash's friend is throwing a party, and I already asked Nash if you could come, and Brent could be your plus one," I squeal. "OH MY GOSH! I TOTALLY OWE YOU," she screams. "My treat," I say grinning.
----------------------------------
*Friday (day of party)*
*Beep*
Yeah school! Wow, I never thought I'd ever be saying that. I do my usual routine and throw on a T- shirt and shorts. Nash offered to drive me, so I go downstairs and hop into the car. I'm not hungry. "Avery did you eat?" Nash asks. "Yes," I lie, biting my lip. "Avery," Nash warns. "No," I whisper. Starving myself is a form of my depression, and Nash is constantly reminding me to eat. He pulls a granola bar out of his glove compartment. "Thanks," I mumble, grabbing it. Finally, Hayes gets in and we're off!
    We get there and get out of the car. "Bye Aves. Bye Hayes," Nash yells walking off. I start to walk toward the school building, but Hayes grabs my wrist and spins me around. Our lips connect and move in sync. "I love you Avery," Hayes says. I'm taken aback. "I love you too, Hayes," I say. We walk into the school hand in hand. "Oh and you've earned my trust back," I whisper. Hayes smiles.
    But, of course all good moments must come to an end when the school's slut, Tessa, comes up. "Hey Hayes," she obnoxiously says, batting her eyelashes. "Back off. He's my boyfriend," I snarl. "Why date this whore when you can have me?" She asks. Hayes squeezes my hand. "Ironic that you're saying that," I mumble under my breath. "What did you say?" She asks getting in my face. "Nothing," I smirk. "Fine then," she says. She slaps me the hardest I have ever been slapped and walks away. I clutch my cheek and fall down, tears threatening to leave my eyes. "AVERY," Hayes yells, crouching down. "It's fine. I'm good," I lie, biting my lip. "Avery, you're biting your lip," Hayes states. "Fine it hurts- badly," I confess, a tear leaving my eye. "Come on let's get you to the nurse. A bruise is starting to form already," Hayes says, standing up. He holds out a hand and I gladly take it. We walk to the nurse and I tell her I tripped and ran into the lockers. She gives me an ice pack, and I go to class. I love Hayes, and I never plan on letting him go.