Chapter 8

*Avery POV*
I told Nash to leave me alone and I walked outside. I was planning on walking around the corner and back, but before I stepped a foot on the sidewalk a black car slowly pulls up to my house. A man, a man I never thought I'd see ever again, my father, if I can even call him that, steps outside the car. I scream and he throws me over his shoulder and into the trunk of his car, and slams the trunk shut.
-----------------------------
*Nash POV*
I run out of the house and chase after the car. I call 911 and Hayes. "911, what's your problem?" The dispatcher speaks. "Hi, my uh, friend was kidnapped, I think by her dad," I say into the phone. "What street on you on right now?" The dispatcher asks. "Well right now, we're on (insert road here), but the car is moving pretty fast," I say. "Okay we're sending the police and ambulances right over," the lady says. "Thanks so much," I exclaim before hanging up. I turn around and see Hayes is right behind me, running as fast as he can as well. I explain what happened to him, giving him the motivation to run faster.
------------------------
*Avery POV*
    I've been screaming, but there's no use. Wait, I have my cell phone but my "dad" will hear. I decide to give it a try anyways. I dial 911 and they pick up on the first ring. "911, what's your emergency?" I explain everything that happens and they say they already got another call about it. From who? I hung up and then called by mom and even Haydin. I look out the window and see Nash and Hayes chasing the car. What? I start banging on the window and then my "father" tells me to shut up. We finally pull up to what looks like an old shed. My dad opens the trunk and flings me over his shoulder. Apparently he has someone with him. I'm trying to punch and kick him, but nothing's working. Once we get inside, he slams me onto the cold tile floor. I'm already bleeding and I see bruises forming. Him and his friend tie me up with a rope. I'm screaming but with every scream I get a kick, punch, and slap. They proceed to beat me. Then my father pulls out a gun. I scream the loudest I have ever screamed. Then, he pulls the trigger. Everything goes black...
---------------------------
*Nash POV*
Hayes and I arrive at the shed. I'm surprised there's not a lock. But all of a sudden, we hear a loud scream and a gunshot. Then everything goes silent. Hayes and I look at each other in both shock and fear. The police followed us here and are surrounding the place. "We have you surrounded, come out and put your hands above your head," one police officer says into a megaphone. 2 men come out with their hands above their heads. "Where is the girl?" The police officer says. They don't answer and police officers run in, along with paramedics and a gurney. They come out, wheeling Avery, beautiful Avery, on a gurney. Her clothes are soaked with blood and she has a hole in her stomach where she appears to be shot. The paramedics put her in an ambulance and let us in, considering we don't have a ride. They drive to the hospital and take Avery in. There goes the love of my life. Hayes and I sit in the waiting room fiddling with our thumbs, our cheeks tear stained. The doctor's have contacted her mom and her mom is now running in. We explained everything. "Mrs. Lillison?" The doctor calls. Mrs. Lillison runs up to him. They talk for a few minutes and Mrs. Lillison comes back with new tears running down her face. "He said that she's in a coma and they have no idea when she'll wake up. It could be hours, days, weeks, or even months," she says. Hayes and I look at each other and start crying even more. Then, all of a sudden that new kid Haydin runs in. "Hi. Avery called me and I didn't know where to find her so I called the hospital and found out she was here," she said out of breath. We explained everything once again and she too burst out into tears. The doctor then told us that we could go in one at a time. Her mom went in first.
---------------------------
*Avery POV*
Everything is black. I feel like I'm awake yet I can't move my arms or legs. I'm trying so hard to open my eyes, yet I can't. This is frustrating. I'm trying to say something but my mouth won't move. I hear my mom come in. "Hi sweetie! The doctors say you're in a coma. They don't know when you'll wake up, but I hope soon. I feel like this is all my fault. I love you sweetie you don't forget that," my mom says kissing my forehead. Then I hear a deeper voice come in. "Hey, Avery. I know you really don't want to listen to me right now, but just know that I am extremely sorry. I feel like I'm to blame for this. This is de ja vu, but I love you Avery Sadie Lillison," he says as he kisses my forehead. That's when I realize- it's Hayes. The next voice that comes in is even deeper than Hayes. It's Nash. "Hey Avery. I know everybody is saying that they feel like their to blame, but I think we all know this is my fault. If I hadn't let you have your space, you would never have left. The amount of sorriness I am feeling is indescribable. I would ask you to forgive me, but what I was doing was unforgivable. I have the same case as Hayes- I was threatened with a deep secret. I miss our best friend days. I miss our games. I miss our secrets. I miss your sense of humor. Your happiness. I miss you Avery. I miss how you could make Hayes and I happy on the darkest of days. I love you Avery Sadie Lillison. And more than a friend," Nash says, kissing me on the forehead. I want to react. I want to scream. The boys I had crushes on as a kid, my ex-best friends both love me. Me of all people. What did I do? I'm just a worthless nobody who deserves to die. I hear a voice I never expected to hear. Even though we just met, I can still recognize that voice. "Hi Avery," Haydin says. I can tell she's been crying. Wow, she really cares about me. "I know we just met and all, but you can't leave. I won't let you. You were the first person to befriend me. I'm depressed. That day was one of my lowest points. That day I was extremely depressed, but you lifted up my spirits and hopes Avery. And I can't thank you enough for that," she's full on sobbing now. I don't know what comes over me but I feel the urge to say something. I'm not leaving Haydin. "It was the least I could do," I say weakly smiling. "OH MY GOSH, YOU'RE UP," she screams. "I'M GOING TO TELL EVERYBODY," she yells, "Ok you do that," I say laughing. Five seconds later everybody comes running in. "AVERY YOU'RE ALIVE," everybody screams.  "Nope I'm dead," you sarcastically say. I notice though that Hayes and Nash are standing in the corner awkwardly. I make eye contact with both of them, but I quickly look away. "How long am I going to be here?" I ask. "2 weeks at the most, but you need surgery and stitches," my mom says. "And what about Dad?" I ask. "He's sentenced for life," Mom says relieved. "And what about his friend?" I ask. "He's sentenced for years, you don't have to worry about him," my mom says. "Oh," is all I say. Nash finally pipes up. "Um, Mrs. Lillison and Haydin are you guys ok if Hayes and I talk to Avery," he clears this throat, "um, alone," he sheepishly says. "Sure thing, sweetie," my mom says confused. Haydin gives me a knowing look. "Good luck," she mouths.
------------------------
*Nash POV*
Here goes nothing...