Chapter 12

*Hayes POV*
I stuff the note in my pocket to show Nash later and I run upstairs and grab a T-shirt and shorts for Avery. I run back to our house and hand the clothes to Avery. She gets up and stumbles to the bathroom. She doesn't deserve this.
    I then remember the note. "Hey dude check this out," I say to Nash. I fish the note out of my pocket and unfold it. Nash's eyes go wide. "I think Avery hid it," I say. "Well he said she couldn't call the police, but he never said we couldn't," Nash says. "Yeah but he'll probably assume she called the police though," I say. "Good point," Nash agrees. Just then Avery stumbles back out of the bathroom.
    Just in case you're wondering, we haven't called the police yet because we want to comfort Avery first. As long as Avery is with us, her dad won't be hurting her. She trudges back over to the bed and lays back down. Nash and I pull the covers over her. "Sleep tight," I say kissing her forehead, Nash doing the same.
We walk into my bedroom and I get into my bed while Nash gets into a sleeping bag. I then fall into a deep sleep.
I hear a scream and I walk into Avery's room to find her dad standing right next to her with a knife. He lifts up his knife and...
I sit up panting. It was just a dream. Just a dream. I keep repeating that in my head. I decide to check in on Avery. I stand up and see that Nash isn't in the sleeping bag. He probably went to the bathroom. I walk into Avery's room, expecting to see her sleeping. But when I walk in, my heart drops. There I see Avery and Nash making out. I quickly run back to my room, without them noticing.
-----------------------------
*Nash POV*
I had a nightmare about Avery's dad about to stab Avery. I woke up sweating and decided to check in on her. I walked into her, er my room, only to find Avery quietly sobbing. "Hey," I quietly say walking into the room. "Hi," she sniffles back. "Do you want to talk about anything?" I ask, sitting down on the bed. "I am just in shock of the whole situation. I mean, once I finally get my mother back she's killed. And if I call the cops, um never mind," she says. "Hayes found the note Avery," I say. "Oh," is all she manages to get out. She looks at me with her beautiful blue eyes, and before I know it our lips are connected. I get a fluttery feeling in my stomach. Her lips are soft and I can taste cherry chapstick. Out lips move in sync perfectly. I've been waiting for this moment my whole life. I bite her lip asking for entrance and she accepts. Our tongue explore each other's mouth like Dora the Explorer. We both hear a noise and look to see Hayes running back to his bedroom. For the first time in a long time I see Avery smile that gorgeous smile. We look at the clock and notice that it's 5 and there's no going back now. Avery and I get out of bed and walk downstairs. We find that Hayes is already downstairs. "Good morning," he says avoiding eye contact. "Hi," I mumble. I make pancakes for everyone and we sit down and eat an awkwardly silent breakfast.
---------------------------------------------------
*Avery POV*
I walk upstairs and find a folded up note on my
pillow:
Dear Avery,
You can't be protected forever.
Your Father
That means my father was in the house. He could still be in the house. I feel like I'm falling and everything goes black.
•••••••
I wake up on my bed with an ice pack on my head, and the Grier Brothers staring at me. "You're awake," Hayes says cheerily. What happened to his foul mood? "What happened? I ask. "I heard a thump upstairs and you were on the floor. Your face was pale, and you looked like you had just seen a ghost," Nash says. "Oh, um I wonder why," I lie. "It's fine we saw the note," Hayes says. "Oh." That's when I break down. All of the emotions of the past, everything I've kept bottled up come spilling out, and I start sobbing. "I don't know why all of this happens to me. Why me? I know you apologized but I can't forget the past. I have no family now," I cry out. "Hey it's ok," Nash whispers. "Yeah you can stay here as long as you want," Hayes whispers as well. That's when I realize my mom's body is still in her bedroom. I can't just leave it here. That's when I realize- I have to call the police no matter what it takes. "I have to call the police," I say. "Are you sure?" Nash asks. "Yeah," I say gulping nervously.
    I get up and call the police. I explain my situation, trying my hardest to hold back tears. I finally hang up. I'm supposed to head over to the police station so they can question me. I walk into Nash's and find him sitting on the bed staring at his phone. "Nash do you mind doing me a favor?" I ask. "Of course. Anything," Nash says looking up, smiling. "Do you mind driving me down to the police station?" I ask nervously. "Of course," Nash says.
    We get in his car and start driving the 20 minute drive to the station. "Hayes and I talked to our mom and she is perfectly fine with you staying here as long as you need," Nash says. "Thanks, but I feel bad. You really shouldn't be opening up your home to me. I'm just going to be a waste of space. Plus nobody would care if I slept on a bench outside. I don't think I can go back home," I say. All of a sudden we pull over. I look up and see that Nash is staring at me. He tilts my chin towards him. "Don't ever say that again. You do matter, you just may just not realize it. You have us and Haydin and that's all you need because we're here for you. So many more people care for you without you knowing. God has a plan," he says. "Nash, nobody has ever said anything close to that before in my entire life. I really needed that. All my life I've been called a loser and names by people. And I believe them. If so many people had the same opinions then I just believed it," I said. "No you are perfect," Nash says. And then we kiss. I get the same fluttery feeling that I did last night.    
     But for some reason I don't feel the same around Nash as I feel around Hayes. Although I did feel butterflies both times Nash and I kissed, I don't feel the same way I did around Hayes. But then of course I've never dated or kissed anybody before. We spend the rest of the ride talking about little nothings. And then we finally pull up. Nash insists on staying so I give up arguing.
    "Hi. I'm here to be questioned by I think Detective Smith," I say. The lady at the desk points to a door on the right and I head over. Nash made himself comfy in a chair, and when I looked back he gave me a reassuring smile. I smile weakly back at him. I get into the room and see a tall man with black hair and a business suit on. Not anything like I expected a detective to be like. "Hi! I'm Detective Smith," he says giving a warm smile. He asks me a few questions like where I was last night, what time it was, and if I had brought the note. Thankfully I had and I gave it to him. After a lot more questions and a description of my dad, I was free to go. I walk back out and spot Nash quickly. "How did it go?" He asks. "Surprisingly well," I admit. "Good," he says smiling. We walk to the car and get in. "I can't keep sleeping in your room Nash, where am I going to sleep instead?" I ask. "You can sleep in our guest room, I just wanted you to have a calming environment," Nash says. "Ok thanks," I say.
    When we get back "home" I walk upstairs to take a shower, before I realize I don't have any clothes. I don't want to bother Nash again so I go to Hayes. I go to his room and knock on his door. I hear a muffled "come in," and I walk in to find Hayes listening to music. "Um, I'm embarrassed to ask, but I need to get some stuff from my house and although the police got my mom, I was wondering if you could come with me-if that's ok of course," I stammer, feeling my eyes welling up with tears. I know some might say I'm overreacting but I was just getting close with my mom and then poof! Just like that she's gone. "Of course," Hayes responds. "Thank you so much," I say. We go over to my house and I pack up all my stuff.
    When we get back "home" I go to the guest room and unpack all of my stuff. Before I shower, I know I should tell Mrs. Grier thanks. A/N Coach Grier and Will aren't in this story.
    I walk downstairs and find Mrs. Grier on her MacBook. Since today is Saturday she isn't working. I walk up to her and she smiles. "Hey Avery. How are you holding up?" She asks. "Ok I guess," I say. "I just wanted to say thanks so much for opening up your home to me. This was so kind of you and I know I wouldn't be able to stay in my house for long with what happened," I say. "No problem honey it's the least I can do," she says, standing up to give me a hug. I walk back upstairs and take a nice long shower. I change into a different T-shirt and shorts. I blow dry my hair and put it in a ponytail. I then put on some mascara and lipgloss.
    I walk out of the guest bathroom to find a note on my bed. But this note was surrounded by rose petals in the shape of a heart. The note read:
Dear Avery,
    Although we've been on one date, I've known you my entire life. And I have one question- will you be my girlfriend?
                                        Hayes
I turn to the door and there is Hayes standing with a bouquet of roses. "I would love that," I say smiling. I give him a hug. "Now would you, Ms. Avery Sadie Lillison, like to accompany me on a date tonight?" Hayes asks. "Yes, Mr. Hayes Benjamin Grier, that would be delightful," I say giggling. Hayes winks and goes to his room. How can life be so good yet so terrible at the same time?

1,882 words not counting this authors note. Happy ending... For now 😏😏😏 comment what you think!