Chapter 6

*Avery POV*
  The last thing I remember is everything going black. I lost so much blood, yes that's how much I'm beaten. I open my eyes and see I'm in a bed, but not my bed- a hospital bed. Wait who called an ambulance? As soon as I open my eyes, a doctor comes into the room with a clipboard. "Oh you're up," he says without any enthusiasm. "That boy called just in time. Any later and you could've died from the amount of blood loss." "Boy?" I question. "Yeah, the boy sitting out in the waiting room. Would you like me to send him in?" the director asks. "Uh sure?" It comes out more of a question though. The doctor leaves and my heart drops. The boy is Hayes. Hayes called the hospital. Hayes saved my life. Hayes, my bully. My ex-best friend. My first crush. My first kiss. My first love. 
    "Hey, you're up," Hayes shyly says. "Uh, yeah," I say. "Listen, Avery. Remember when we were in 5th grade and we told each other we loved each other?" Hayes questions. "Yeah," I simply state. "Well I never stopped loving you," Hayes confidently says. "It's kind of hard to tell considering the fact that you've been beating me for the past year," I cringe at the memory. "Yes, and I can't believe I chose popularity over you, Avery. I hope you can find it deep down in your heart to forgive me. I love you Avery Sadie Lillison," Hayes says, leaning in. "I'm sorry I can't do this," I say. "That's ok, I'm so sorry I was rushing things and  I got caught up in the moment." "Hayes can we not forget the fact that I'm in the hospital because of you and your brother? I almost bled to death," I remind Hayes. "Wait, you almost bled to death?"  Hayes freezes. "Yeah, the doctor said you called just in time," I explained. "Avery I am extremely sorry, what we did was unforgivable. I promise we will never beat you again," Hayes says. "How did you even get into my house?" I ask. "I still have that key you gave me in middle school," Hayes states. "Oh. Well do you know when I'm getting out of this place?" I ask. "Yeah the doctor said you could leave now, actually," Hayes says. "Ooh goody!" I say. I get out and change in the bathroom to the clothes I was in earlier.
     Once Hayes and I leave the hospital we head back to our houses. We had to walk, since we both rode in the ambulance. By now, school was obviously over. The walk back home is a silent walk. A very awkward silence. But just as we were rounding the block to our houses, we run into Nash. Oh great. "Yo Hayes what are you doing with this loser?" Nash asks. I expect Hayes to stand up for me, but instead the exact opposite happens. "I decided to ditch school and I was at Starbucks, and this loser was here so she stalked me the whole walk back," Hayes says. "What a loser," Nash says. "Yeah let's go," Hayes says, pushing me into the grass and kicking me once before leaving. I let a tear fall and then many more follow. I run the rest of my way to my house, and slam the door once I get inside. For the second time today, I run into the bathroom and bawl my eyes out. I just want to quit life, and get away from everything. I decide to go back into my bedroom. I look out the window and see Nash. But wait, Nash is staring into my room. Why? I get up and close the blinds. All of a sudden I hear a door shut. At first I expect it to be Hayes once again, but instead it's my mom. What? She's never home this early. She comes into the house with tear stained cheeks. Why is mom crying? Ugh. Today is so confusing.  "Mom what's wrong?" I ask her. "Honey, I love you so much. Ever since your father and I separated I've been out all day partying. I don't know why it took me so long to realize, but you have grown up without any parental figures in your life. And honey I am so sorry, I love you so much, and you deserve nothing that you've been going through," my mom apologizes. "You should see what I go through at school," I mutter. "What honey?" my mom asks. "Oh nothing. I'm going to be honest, I'm so glad I have a mom figure back in my life. All is forgiven, and I love you so much Mom," I say. "And I got a job with very little hours but a good pay, so I can provide for us and see you a lot too," Mom says. "Yeah," I exclaim. For the rest of the evening Mom and I watch movies and play board games! Home life has gotten so much better!