004 | Newt

Dearest Tommy,

I have three agendas in this letter, seeing that I have to make it up to you in some way.

Agenda no.1: That first letter? Throw that klunk out of the window. That wasn't me. I'm really sorry, Tommy; that was my best friend Minho. He probably got hold of your letter while I was changing for practicd and wrote you a reply on my behalf. I'm really x1000 sorry, that shank can be bloody immature sometimes. I hope you don't resent me or anything now, because I would never call you a slug. Or anyone else, for that matter.

Agenda no.2: Now that I've explained Minho's buggin' idiocy, I should probably introduce myself.

My name's Isaac. Everybody's got a bloody thing for calling me Newt, but I'll let you have the pleasure of knowing my real name. Minho's the first one to call me Newt, and although it's supposed to be just between me and him ( like the way you and your girlfriend Teresa keep 'Tom' ), I woke up one day with the entire school calling me that, and it just kinda stuck. Whether you call me Isaac or Newt--it's all up to you, really. Just like you ( surprise, surprise! ), my parents named me after a scientist: Isaac Newton. Must be a coincidence, eh? That makes the two of us nerds.

I'm seventeen, too, and as you know, I go to Glade High School ( which is probably more known to your kind as 'the public school downtown, right next to the old church with lots of graffiti ). Unfortunately, I'm the youngest one in our family. I have an older sister named Sonya, and we look very much alike, although she'd a stick and I'm a shank ( please don't ask, I just decided to put that inside joke in for effect. I'm a loser that way ). Luckily for the two of us, we've both got our parents with us, thank you very much.

I have two best friends, whom I have known since primary school: Minho and Alby. There's also this big guy named Gally who hangs out at our lunch table, a guy named Zart who's my lab partner in biology, and more guys named Jeff and Clint and Winston and Ben--but hold on, I'm mentioning too many names. Probably because I tend yo call everyonr on the lacrosse team a 'friend', althought Minho and Alby are really the only ones who matter to me.

So, yes, I'm on the lacrosse team. Shocking, huh? Sorry, Tommy, but a science club doesn't exist here in GHS. We prefer to have sportd as extracurriculars here. On the lacrosse team, we have Alby as captain and Minho as vice-captain ( yes, he can be a child sometimes, but he's a good player ). I'm not really the best at lacrosse, but I'm pretty good-- good enough to be on the team, that is.

We seem to be two different people, Tommy: you're one of those students who wear a bloofy sweater and blazer and slacks uniform at school, while I'm one of those students who scavenge around for some clean clothes in the morning. You're right, Gladers and WCKD-ers never get along, but hey, look at what we're doing. We're acting like two civilized people. That's got to be sonething, right?

I know some people in class who're buggin' furious with the pen pal thing, too: they think that you shanks there at WCKD are snobbish slintheads, but you seem like a cool person, Tommy. I look forward to writing to you for the rest of the year.

Agenda no.3: I have decided to call you Tommy in my letters. I hope you don't mind.

Again, I'm really sorry for Minho's behaviour.

Yours sincerely,
Isaac