Thirty Two - Backtrack

Maya - earlier that day

I walk downstairs, a hand on my stomach. I walk over to Lynn who's making lunch. "Hey, Maya. What's up?" She smiles.

"H-Have you ever had a miscarriage?" I ask quietly, a tear escaping my eye.

She nods, stirring whatever she's making. "I've had my share, yes. Why?" She glances at me, noticing my tears. "Did he know?"

I shake my head. "I was planning on telling him tonight when he got home," I murmur as I sit on the counter. "I was told I couldn't have kids, Lynn. There's been so much damage to my ovaries that I don't even get my period anymore," I whisper.

She turns off the stove, looking up at me. "Are you going to tell him?"

I nod, wiping my face. "I have to. He deserves to know. But were you ever scared to tell the other person?" I question as she continues making the mac n cheese.

"Scared didn't begin to describe it."

I let out a whimper as Rocky enters the room. "What's wrong, My?" He rubs my knee.

I shake my head. "I'm gonna go lie down with Caity," I sigh.

******************************

"Maya?" Romeo enters the room. I look at the clock, 9:57 P.M. "Are you awake?"

I roll over onto my back. Caitlyn sits next to me, eating one of her teething toys. "Yeah," I murmur.

He picks up his daughter, kissing her forehead. "My mom said that you aren't feeling well," he frowns.

"If that was the only problem," I scoff as I turn on my side so my back is to him.

He carries Caitlyn out of the room, probably to her room. "What's going on?" He asks as he kneels down.

I shake my head, tears continuously leaking from my eyes. "I-I.." He grabs my hand reassuringly. "I lost the baby!" I sob. "I was planning on telling you today," I whisper.

He climbs into the bed with me. We lay in silence, his fingers twirling my hair. "It's not your fault," he breaks the tension. "I know that you think it's your fault. But it's not, baby. I promise you."

I cuddle closer to him. "I was happy I got pregnant, Romeo. My dad hit me so hard that I only get my period like twice a year. I can't have kids."

He holds me tighter as my sobs return. "Shh, baby. Shh," he rubs my back.