Twenty Four - An Amazing Change

Romeo

I sit on my bed with Maya in my arms. Caitlyn sleeps peacefully next to me. Maya draws lazy shapes on my chest as she tries to stop sobbing. I rub circles on her back, attempting to stop her crying. "I love you," I whisper to her.

Her eyes close as I speak. "Say it again," she breathes onto my neck.

I lean closer to her ear. "I love you so much. A lot more than you could ever think," I kiss her earlobe.

A soft smile appears on her face as she nuzzles her nose into my neck. "I love you too," she murmurs as her arm goes around my waist.

We sit in silence for about an hour before I lace my fingers with hers. "When I go off to college- well I'm not even going away. Just to community college- but anyways. Would you wanna come live with me or do you want to stay with one of my parents?" I ask into the dark room.

"I wanna come with you. But how would I get to school?" She sits up to look at me.

I shrug as she climbs onto my waist. "We could get the bus to come get you or my mom can come get you and Caity," I suggest.

"Why don't we just stay with your mom until I graduate?" She questions as she plays with my fingers. "That way we can both save up our money from working. We can afford a bigger place, maybe with three bedrooms so when we decide- if you want more- we have a room for another child," she mumbles.

I smile, lifting her chin with my fingers. "You are so smart, baby. We'll do that then," I kiss her gently.

She shakes her head, tears rushing down her cheeks. "I'm not smart," she huffs as she leans her head on my shoulder.

I wrap my arms around her so our bodies are touching. "Yes you are, Maya. Don't listen to anyone else. You're smart, you're beautiful, you're-"

She cuts me off, "I'm a slut."

I push her gently to look into her eyes. "You aren't a slut, babe. Didn't you tell me you've never done it?" She nods, looking down at her hands. "Then there's no way in hell you can be a slut."

"Yes I am!" She whisper/yells. "He wouldn't have done that to me if I wasn't."

I kiss every bruise on her face gently, kissing her upper arms also. "What else hurts?" I ask as I lay her down so I'm hovering over her.

"My legs and stomach," she whimpers.

I lean down, lifting her shirt slightly. Bruises and red marks are visible on her lower belly. "I'm so sorry," I mumble as my lips linger on her soft skin.

She whimpers loudly as I kiss her thigh. "Stop. Please stop," she squirms.

I sit up, moving to sit next to her. "I can't believe I let you go home," I sigh.

She climbs into my lap, holding Caitlyn in hers. "I'm home now. I'm in your arms, with our daughter."