Two - Dealing With This

Ross

I walk into my room around 1:30 after finally getting Romeo to sleep. I look at Lynn. her eyes are red and puffy, her cheeks covered in tears as she stares back at me, clutching a pillow to her chest. "Are you okay?" I ask leaning against the door frame. She opens her mouth to say something, but only a sigh comes out. I walk over to her and lay down. "It's okay, baby. We're all going to get through this as a family," I whisper as tears surface.

She shakes her head, throwing the pillow at the wall. "It's not fair!" She cries out. "Why did it have to be him!? Why couldn't it be me!? He can't go through this," she whispers the last part. I pull her into my chest as she cries. "Ross, I lost Lyddie. I had so many miscarriages. I can't lose Romeo. He's my baby. My first baby. I can't lose him to this. I need him or else I'm going to go insane," she looks into my eyes. "He can't leave us."

I nod in agreement. "I know, Lynn." Tears slide down my cheeks. "Let's just get some sleep."

She lays her head on my chest, running her fingers up and down my chest. "i can't sleep," she says into the darkness.

"Me neither. But we have to," I sigh.

She looks up, rubbing her nose against my jaw. "Can I have a kissy?"

I chuckle and wipe my eyes before kissing her. We pull back and lay down again. "I love you."

"I love you too," she replies with a sigh.

Hours later the door opens. "D-Dad?" Romeo stammers.

I look over at him, turning on the lamp beside me. "Come here, bubs," I lift my available arm for him.

He crawls into our bed, laying next to me. "I-Is mom s-st-still up?" He buries his face between my neck and the pillow.

"No, she fell asleep a couple hours ago," I reply softly. "You know you aren't supposed to climb the stairs without someone behind you," I scold.

He shrugs. "I wanted my parents," he whimpers.

I kiss his head. "You'll be okay, bud. I promise," I murmur.

He shoots his head up as Lynn starts talking in her sleep. "What's she saying?" He asks quietly.

I shrug. "Just listen to her."

She clutches onto me tightly. "Leave him alone. He's my baby," she digs her nails into my side. I hiss quietly. "Stop! Please don't hurt him!" She yells as she digs her nails farther into me.

"Okay, time to wake up." I shake her gently. "Lynn," I whisper. "Babe, wake up," I push her off of me.

She sits up with a gasp. "Th-They hurt him," she sobs.

I wrap my arms around her waist. "Who?" Romeo asks.

Lynn looks over at him. "Oh, my poor baby," she leans over.

He climbs into her lap. "Mommy, I'm scared," he cries.

I rub his back. "You'll be okay, baby. We're going to get through this as a family," Lynn lets her tears hit his hair.

"I'm sorry, mommy! I didn't mean it!"

"Bubs, it's not your fault," I whisper.

"Yes it is," he argues.