35. "Miss Social Butterfly."

Start from the beginning

I ordered a simple nacho platter and some soda as I quietly observed. As the time went on, more people filed in. The night crowd was coming alive, so it was bound to bring action. I was ready to see where the night would take me.

I saw a few different matches as I slowly munched away on my food. Some of the players were calculated, some were too drunk to realize what the hell they were doing. They were the stupid ones who made stupid bets and lost a hell of a lot in the process. The drunks needed to keep away from those pool sticks anyway. Angry drunks could take advantage and get violent. Not that I would intervene, I'd just watch and keep my nose out of that business.

"You play?" a voice asked. 

For a minute, I didn't think the question was for me until I pulled my eyes away to see a rather attractive looking man across from me at my table. His hair was golden blond and ruffled in a sexy bedhead kind of way. He came off a bit predatory to me, just in the sense that he happened to flock to me whereas he could have found some other girl to chat up, but his blue eyes looked innocent enough.

"When I can," I finally answered. My fingers searched for more nachos.

"Too afraid to butt your way in?" he teased.

"Nah, I was hoping to lure someone in by testing my aim," I retorted lightly.

"So you're one of the sly ones, the one that leads people into her traps." He smirked. "I can see that."

It was obvious this guy was flirting with me, but I didn't mind it. This felt normal, and I needed some normal right now. Would I tell this to Sam later on? Of course. This was harmless flirting, this wasn't going to amount to anything. Though our relationship was fairly new still, I was faithfully loyal to him. I'd been loyal to him since I got pulled into this apocalyptic mess.

"I'm guessing you didn't come here to challenge me." I sipped on my drink.

"I kind of did. And I saw you needed some company." He leaned against the table. "Tell you what, let's make it interesting."

"Whoa, hang on," I half laughed. "I never agreed to a game with you."

"Yet," he said. "But I think you just might. Whoever loses buys drinks."

My lips pursed. "That's all? Come on, there's got to be higher stakes."

"All right. You want high stakes? You win, I don't bother you, and we part ways like the good sports we are. I win, I get your number, you pay for some drinks, and we see where the night takes us."

My skin crawled at the challenge. It was too tempting to not refuse. I sat in thought, mulling it over. I didn't know how skilled this guy was. I couldn't try and act like I sucked, I wasn't too keen on losing.

I felt, deep down, that I already accepted the bet before I could get the words out of my mouth. He watched me eagerly. He didn't seem to think I was going to back down from this challenge, either.

"All right," I conceded. "Challenge accepted. You, me, pool table, right now." My eyes flickered over long enough to see the battleground had emptied.

I scarfed down the rest of my nachos before we headed over. We got the game set, and in a gentlemanly manner, he let me start the game off.

I impressed him on the first strike. In turn, he impressed me. He was no stranger to this game, and neither was I. Something told me I was going to have to fight tooth and nail to win this one.