A school teacher

The days shifted to late November and early December and it came as a shock to me when I realized that winter didn't exist in Arabland.The temperature hardly went below 25 degrees which was the maximum cold.The slightly cold winds of night and the chills of dawn was the "winter" these arabs gave the name to.I didn't exactly miss the frost biting winter as I prefered sun over icy winds but I had to admit I missed the soft white snow.
Things were still peaceful.At school,Jyl and her gang had lessened the torments on me because everyone seemed to be obsessed with studies.
I walked out of the exam hall after my first paper,practically the first person to come out.My dad had warned me about my grades so I had studied hard for the test.Otherwise I still couldn't put much focus in school.
"How was the paper?"Ky asked as he joined me half an hour later.
"I think I'll pass."I shrugged while I sipped an energy drink.
"I really aced it."Ky said popping open his own drink.
I sneered at him."Right.Says the witch who has got no problem studying."
He sneered back."Says the human who is jealous of me."
"Jealous my ass."I said haughtily.
"So where's Sabrina today?"I asked casually while concentrating on my drink now.
"She had to go to the witch council.I told you before!"he accused.
I shrugged."Maybe I didn't hear.So what does her majesty want now?"I said sarcastically.
"If her majesty heard that tone..."Ky began.
"Which she wouldn't."I cut in.
"Well, the demons and us are still in that tight situation after what happened at the last Arabian nights." he informed.
I took another sip, thoughtfully.
"You know it comes on you in the end.They still want you."he said seriously.
"Yeah yeah I know."I waved my hand trying to sound as nonchalant as possible.
To be honest,fear still gripped me whenever I thought about those hunters and those demons because I knew the former wouldn't rest until they slaughtered me for sacrifice and the latter wouldn't rest until they made sure I wasn't sacrificed,but I had learned to control my fears and develop some sort of acceptance.
"What about the hunters?"I asked slowly.
Ky shrugged."They are still quiet."
"I can't believe you still didn't find out which one attacked my dad."I said"And you say your Goddess is so powerful."I said scornfully.
The night of the Halloween party and the day my dad had an accident still confused and despaired me.My mind said it was him who had caused the accident but my heart fretted at that.
The only solution was to confirm who caused it and that was what the Witch Goddess failed to find.
"I don't understand either."Ky said.He lowered his voice"I think the Goddess is up to something."
I stared at him."What makes you say that?And why are you whispering? She isn't around here?"I glanced at the nearly empty cafeteria.
He sighed."I don't know but it's not possible for Catty not to find out anything.Like I said that witch is planning something of her own."
I raised an eyebrow."Excuse me? Did you just insult her?"I asked sardonically.
"For heaven's sake she is a witch.Why would I insult her by calling her that." he said in exasperation.
"It sounded like an insult though."I pointed out.
"What.ever.My point is that..."he said frustrated now.
"Yeah I get your point."I cut him again."And since when isn't she not up to something.I told you before that witch."I put on more emphasis."..is plain evil and frankly speaking I do not trust her."
"That's what Sabrina said too."he said"But the thing is that we don't know what she is planning."
"Easy to solve.She is planning to kill me."I said tipping my head back and slurping the last of my drink in the can.
Ky grabbed the can from my hands.
"Witches don't kill humans you dumb baffoon."he said impatiently.
"Dumb buffoon?"I raised my eyebrows grabbing my can back from him."How do you know they are dumb?"
He gritted his teeth.
"Relax."I patted his shoulder."You don't have to answer that question."
He lost all patience and moved forward to attack me with his dagger which he had pulled out, out of nowhere.
"Woah.Keep that thing to yourself.You could be hurting number one sacrificee and the hunters will kill you for that."I backed away partly serious now.Then I reached out and plucked the dagger out if his hand in a blink of an eye.
He couldn't help laughing at that.I smiled in victory and returned to slurping my drink.
"Alright,I'll let you live this one time human." he said.
"And I'll keep that for now."I said pocketing his dagger.
"That's not fair."
"Is fair."I replied"Anyway I understand what you were trying to say."I told him."Catty can't kill me unless there is this biiiiiiiiig reason"I gestured with my hands".. and you wanna find out this biiiiiiiiiiiig reason am I right?"
He nodded."Exactly.Before it's too late."he said gravely.
"You guys don't know anything yet."I said screwing up my nose."You call yourself witches and you all still don't know why this human."I pointed myself up and down."..is related to you all."
"We know you are a sacrifice to all the creatures."he said accusingly."What else is there to know?"
"That biiiiiiiiiiig reason Catty has to kill me."I said looking at him as if he was stupid.
"We don't even know if Catty wants to kill you Kat.It's only a theory."
"Ugh."I said."You guys have your theory classes while I work on survival okay."I said in a sweet voice.
"Uh..okay?"
I glared at him and started walking away.
"But where are you going?"he asked,confused.
"To the restroom."I called over my shoulder.
I headed to the girl's restroom which was empty and silent.Everyone was still giving their paper.
As I splashed some cold water on my face a movement on the mirror caught my eye.I whipped my head around.No-one.
Funny,I thought I saw a shadow.I mused inwards.
Maybe it's Ky.
"Alright Ky I know that's you.Game's up."I called.
Silence responded from the shut cubicles.I stared at each one of them.
Another noise caught my guard and I spun around again.It had come from the cubicles I couldn't see because they were built in the inside portion of the restroom.
I started feeling uneasy and my heart had started pounding loudly.
Relax Kat.It's not danger everytime.
If it was Ky,I would definitely have to endure his teasing till the end of my life.
But what if there was something in there?I absolutely couldn't risk my life.
Stepping back silently,I started tiptoeing toward the door.Nothing moved and silence resumed.
As I passed the mirror,I noticed my phone lying on the marble counter.
I paused to pick it up and move on when another movement caught my eye.I glanced up and gasped.
A black demon's reflection was on the mirror.I froze for a millisecond as I took in the ugly creature, skeleton faced, horned head and bony fingers.
It really was a demon in the restroom in my school!
Then we both sprang into action, the demon leaping toward me with a long spear and I leaping out of his way.
I collided with the wall to my right,pulling out the dagger I had borrowed from Ky earlier.
The demon slashed out and I demonstrated with my weapon,resulting with a full block.
Wow.My training actually worked.
A duel broke out between him and me.I kept my calm and blocked the frightening whips of his weapon.
The demon seemed shocked that I was actually defeating him.
He stabbed my arm suddenly and pain hit me.
"YOU UGLY CREATURE...." .I screamed and lashed out at him blindly.
My dagger went through his form along with my hand.
"Eww Jesus...."Disgust filled in me and I snatched my hand back.
The demon seemed to be frozen.Then he went limp.I raised my hand to attack him again and make sure he died.
"You!"
I spun around,whipping my dagger out of sight.
It was Jyl.
I quickly looked back and saw the demon was gone.A wisp of smoke faded away and the restroom looked like nobody had been here except for me.
Jyl marched in eyeing me curiously.
Hadn't she noticed the demon?
"You bitch."she said acidly towering at me.
I raised my eyebrows.
"What is your problem now?"I asked distractedly.
"I know you did this."she spat hurling a journal at my feet.It lay open and I saw red crossed lines on each page spoiling every line.
"Why would I do that?"I cried in wonder.
She looked at me with a malicious smile."Play dumb go ahead."
I shook my head and looked back at the place where the demon had been.Were there more?
I looked back at Jyl."Did you say something?"
Her eyes narrowed."You won't get away with this."she promised.She snatched up the journal and stormed out of the restroom before I could form a word.I quickly followed her after one glance at the empty restroom;I didn't want to be alone.I was glad Jyl came just in time,even if it was about some stupid journal I had never seen before.
I hurried to the cafeteria and sped up toward Ky.
"Did you lose the battle with that hottie?"he drawled lazily from the table,eating a snack."Cause I saw her marching with this journal in...."
"A demon was in the restroom."I blurted out as I reached him.
"What?"he jerked up in shock,his pepsi toppling over."You gotta be fucking kidding me,where?!"he looked around wildly.
"In the restroom.I fought it Ky.I actually fought and won...."
"Where is it?"he cut me fast.
"He disappeared when Jyl walked in."
"Wait here."Ky commanded before dashing out of the cafeteria."Stay put"he yelled over his shoulder.
People stared.
"Where are you going?"I yelled back.
People started whispering.
I sat back down and started eating Ky's abandoned fries and pizza.
A small smile came on my face at the thought that I had actually killed a demon.
Slayed.
Ky came back and sat down with a sigh."There were three more lingering outside the school.Chia got them before they could come in."he told me."I just informed Sab, now things will mess up more at the council."he said angrily.
"Hmm."
"What's so funny?"he demanded.
"I slayed it man."I said in an impressed voice.
"He left Kat.He didn't die."Ky confirmed.
My grin faded.
"Thanks for the boost."I grumbled.
"Hey,that's my food."he accused pulling his tray away from under my hands.
"You mean your leftovers?"I asked sarcastically.
"What.ever.This isn't good at all man, demons at your school now!"he said frustrated."Those dead m.fuckers can't keep it shut for a while."
I didn't reply.My thoughts wandered.
After school, we headed to my place.
"How was the paper?"Dan asked as he emerged from the house with a soccor ball in his arms.
"Fine."I grunted without giving him a second glance.
"Hi Dan."Ky said apologetically as Dan looked slightly hurt.
I noticed nothing,my mind too distracted and occupied.We went up to my room and talked all evening,trying to solve the broken puzzle.
Ky got up to leave around eight.
"Have dinner with us?"I asked him.
He shook his head."Next time.I have to go to the guesthouse now."
"Okay.Wait."I fished in my school bag and handed him his dagger."Thanks for that."
He paused thinking."You can keep it."he said at last.
"For real?"I asked.
"Yeah guess you need it more than I do."
"And your Goddess?Sabrina said she won't allow me to use weapons."
"What she won't know won't hurt her"Ky grinned.
I smiled my thanks.
He left after five minutes and I headed down for dinner.
****
"Winter break?"I snorted."You call this winter?!"My voice dripped with scorn.
"Trust me,the arabs find this cold actually."Ky said.
"You arabs need major help."I said shaking my head.Students glared at me.Shit.
"You could've said that a bit slower." Ky said pointedly.
We were standing in the cafeteria with a smoothie each,waiting for Sabrina to pick us up.Ky's car had gone for service.
"I'm feeling hot actually."I said frowning.
"You don't want the break?You wanna come back to school tomorrow?Fine."Ky shrugged.
I laughed, enjoying being able to criticize these perfect and richass arabs for once.
Our school had announced a fifteen days winter holiday right after the first term examination.
"It's such a relief that no school for two weeks."I admitted.
I looked around and saw Jyl walking toward us dressed her usual catwalking stuff.
"I still can't believe how you actually talk to her."I grumbled.
Ky grinned and shrugged."I told you she isn't that bad."
She and Ky had come into friendly terms lately.I had seen them talking alot nowadays.I had a feeling Ky was attracted to her and it made me feel slightly irritated.I wasn't jealous,ptftt, but I didn't like the idea of my current best friend warming up to my enemy.
"Hi Ky."she said, smiling charmingly as she approached us.
I rolled my eyes.
She looked at me with a smirk."Afcourse it's you.It's you all the time"she said,smoothing her jean-short skirt.
I gave her my sweetest,deadliest smile."Yes it's me all the time.But it's you lately all the time."
"Wait,what?"Ky said in confusion.
Jyl grinned like a cheshire cat."Do I smell jealousy?"
"Pft.You are welcome to this no-brains."I said airily.
"No brains?"Ky said,still confused,then he realized I was talking about him.His eyes widened.
"Says the girl who has no one to stick with."Jyl said with delight.
I felt angry but tried my best to keep my calm.Maybe Ky could sense my anger because he quickly stepped up between us.
"Ladies, my honored ladies let's keep it cool."he said hastily.
"I'll go wait for Sabrina."I told him flatly before walking away."When you are done satisfying desperation..."I looked Jyl up and down."..join us."
I marched away,satisfied that I got the last word.As I turned around the corner,I caught them deep in conversation now.I frowned in irritation.
Sabrina pulled up five minutes later.
"Happy winter break."she said"Where's Ky?"
I shrugged and got in the passenger seat."Busy sweet-talking that bimbo."
She looked at me before sighing and pulling her phone out.
She gave him a missed call.A minute later he appeared at the parking lot.
"Here comes Romeo."I said sarcastically.
"How many times have I told you not to talk to her."Sabrina hissed at him.
"C'mon,she is clean."Ky argued as he hopped in.
"You know what I mean."Sabrina said sternly,shooting him a look.
I looked between them."Okay,this is where I don't know what you mean."I said glancing at Sabrina.
"Sabrina has issues with her like you do."Ky told me quickly.
"I don't have issues with her.She has issues with me."I shot at him.
"Doesn't look like though,I mean she doesn't have issues if you talk to me,but you do."Ky elaborated.
"She wasn't your friend in the first place,she has no reason to have issues."
"Shut-up about your issues."Sabrina said cutting us both.
"He started it.."
"She started with the issues..."
"I said quiet."Sabrina snapped.We both shut up.
"Let's hang out at that café you took me two weeks ago."I suggested to Sabrina, ignoring Ky.
"Sure,if your mom doesn't start calling you every minute."Sabrina said.
"She won't."
"Okay let's roll."Ky said smirking at me.I ignored him again.
It was late evening when we arrived home.
"Wait.who's car is that?"I said, puzzled,as we pulled up beside the garage.
There was a sleek black Mercedes parked outside my house.
"Wait a minute...."Sabrina said frowning.
"Is that who you think that is?"Ky glanced at her in alarm.
"What is it?"I asked panicking slightly now."I didn't know I would see the day when cars started freaking me out."
"Let's go in."Sabrina said firmly"Relax.It's just a car."she told me.
"Exactly."I exclaimed.
We trooped inside anxiously.
I could hear noises of talking and laughter from the drawing room.
"My mom has guests.It's nothing new"I told my friends shrugging,as I climbed up the stairs.
"You guys don't wanna come up?"I asked looking back at them.
They were exchanging wide-eyed glances.
"Seriously what is it?"I asked climbing back downstairs.
My mother appeared in the hallway,abruptly.She looked flushed as if she had laughed alot.
"Hello honey,I didn't hear you come in."She greeted me.
"Mom who's here?"I asked cautiously.
"Come and see for yourself."she said smiling at me."Oh hello you two."she added spotting my friends who were giving each other pointed looks.
"Hi ma'am."Ky said quickly returning her smile.
"Come on in you both as well,come follow me."she ushered us toward the drawing room.
"Kat,wait...."Ky hissed at me.
My mom looked at him and he shook his head and smiled politely.
I glanced at him anxiously before stepping inside our drawing room right after my mother.
Then I froze.
"Hello Katalyn."Zee said from the sofa and smiled at me in greeting.
Horror crossed my features.Ky and Sabrina looked equally shocked.
"Honey,your arts teacher decided to give you a surprise."my mother declared.
I choked on my own saliva.
Arts teacher?
I glanced at Sabrina in alarm.
"I pray you are doing well Miss Brent?"Zee said in the same polite tone.My eyes narrowed.
"What.the fuck...ow"I began but Ky elbowed me hard,cutting me off.
"Play along."He whispered.
I rubbed my side,not tearing my eyes of the witch who sat in my drawing room with that stupid smile and sweet-talked with my mother.
"So like I was telling your mother Miss Brent,the schedule of our winter field trip."Zee said not taking her eyes of me.
"Winter f..field trip?"I stammered.Something was so wrong.My insides were bursting to scream at her,but the message in her cold eyes was:
If you mess up,it will be worse, which my blinded mother failed to notice.
"Yes honey,Miss Selma says that you left early today so you didn't know about the field trip your school planned."my mother explained.
Whatever crap Zee fed her she bought it.
I clenched my fists.Sabrina and Ky were still gawking at Zee,nonplussed.
"So she was sweet enough to come home personally and deliver the forms."my mother continued,looking fondly at the witch.I glanced at some papers lying on the table.
"I don't think I want to go to any field trip."I said slowly glaring at the witch who smiled.
"Honey,your teacher knows what's best for you,we were just discussing how much you need to socialize in this foreign society."mom said as-a-matter-of-factly.
I just couldn't believe my ears.That witch had fully convinced my mother,in whatever she planned to do.
"Yes sweetheart I realized how you didn't connect with the other students and I totally understand why,so I thought it would be important for you to come with us." Zee said in her false voice,smiling acidly at me."Plus in honor of our new student we would very much like to take you on our expenses."
I stared back at her,not knowing what to say.
"I think it's best for you and your family."she said,her eyes burning holes in mine.My family.I heard the direct threat in her sentence.
She turned to my mother."I heard about your husband and I'm so very sorry about it."she said sniffing.
I still stared,speechless with horror.Fear hit my heart like a shard of ice.
Fury lit in me like lightening.
"What...is..she.."I whispered between rising breaths.
"Relax.I won't let her get away with whatever she plans to."Sabrina said icily.
Zee talked some more with my mother,charming her up and drinking tea which my mom had served her before.
"Katalyn I expect you to get ready tomorrow.Our team will pick you up at nine sharp."Zee said giving me a knowing look.
I looked at my mother helplessly.She smiled at me excitedly and I looked at Sabrina and Ky next.
"The details are enclosed in the form.Mrs Brent I hope you have no problems?"Zee asked my mother,switching to her polite tone.
"No no,it's just that Kat is new in the place and I just want her fully assisted and supervised in your custody."my mom said.
"Don't worry.I will personally be with her there."Zee said shooting me a winning smile.
My heart dropped in despair.
"I'll take my leave.Thank you for the tea Mrs.Brent, it was lovely."Zee said graciously.
I watched the greetings between my mother and the witch before she exited from the drawing room.
I turned to my mother furiously.
"Wait,confront the bitch first."Ky hissed at me before hurrying outside the room.
"I need to talk to Miss Selma."I hurled at my mom before rushing after Ky.
We three clambered down the garage steps.
Zee was getting in the black Mercedes.
"Wait a minute you foul evil..."I began, spit flying from my mouth.
Zee turned to me with a cruel smile.
"What is the meaning of this?"Sabrina asked sharply.
"It's her highness's orders."Zee said maliciously."I'm only a messenger here."she looked at me disgustedly.
"Why don't I know about this?"Sabrina said before I could open my mouth.
"What does your Goddess want now?"I asked clenching my teeth.
"Tomorrow when we come to pick you up,you will find out."Zee said smiling."Poor dear...don't fret and one more thing."she leaned forward and whispered dramatically."The Goddess also said if you mess this up,you will pay dearly sweetheart.Perhaps your lovely mother this time?"her eyes twinkled evilly.
I felt like slapping the witch right across her white face.
"You fucking piece of...."
"Shuddup."she snapped cutting me off."You know what I'm capable of."
Sabrina put a protecting arm around me.Ky slammed a fist on her bumper.
I could only look helplessly,controlling my mounting anger as she rolled away.
"What the bloody hell was all that about?!Where will she take me?And how dare that ugly creature threaten me like that?"I shouted,kicking at the curb.
"Calm down Kat,I'll handle things." Sabrina put both her hands on my shoulder."I swear I won't let them lay a hand on your family.
"Yes.You have us dude.Do you think I'll watch that witch do whatever she feels like?"Ky said trying to cheer me up.
I took a deep breath."What should I do then?"I asked anxiously.
"I'll talk to the Goddess and find out what she is wants."Sabrina promised."Meanwhile don't say anything to your mother.Just play along for the field trip."
"You guys didn't know anything about this?"I asked incredulously,more to Sabrina.
She shifted her eyes."Things are messed up.Some things are not enclosed with the positivists anymore."she said gravely.
I heaved a deep sigh."Okay we will work something out.You guys go home and tell me ASAP if you find out anything."I ordered Sabrina.
She nodded and told me not to worry too much.They waved and left after a few minutes.
I walked back into the house not knowing what to do.