Witch manor

My alarm clock went off at seven AM making me jerk into consciousness.
I dressed grumpily for school, wishing I could skip it today but I didn't want any further trouble at home.
I came downstairs to find the house silent and deserted.The kitchen was empty and clean as if unused since last night.
My heart-beat quickened.
Where was everybody?Did something happen to my family?
"Shit..No way!"I dashed upstairs as panicked thoughts came in my mind.
I flung open the door to my parent's bedroom.
As much as I tried to feel indifferent, relief washed over me as I saw them fast asleep in bed.
Somebody stirred and I quietly backed away.
Wait.Why were they still asleep?
"Hey mother it's seven already."I whisper yelled taking a few steps inside.
"Mom!"I urged.
My mom sat bolt upright.
"What happened?"She asked groggily.
"It's seven already."I hissed at her.
She pulled her hands away from her eyes and looked at me."It's the weekend Kat."
"Oh."I said,getting embarrassed.
She laughed sleepily."In love with outside, aren't you."
I rolled my eyes."Not really.I'm going to crash now."I shut the door quietly and went back upstairs,feeling silly.
The next time I woke up it was past two and someone was banging on my door.
"Go away."I groaned,burying my head under the duvet.
"Kat,mommy is calling you downstairs."Alisa's voice came, followed by rapping on my door.
"Tell.Her.I'm.Tired."I called out tiredly.
"She says you better come for lunch or she will raid your door."Alisa said in a delighted voice.
I grimaced.What was the family's problem?
"I'll be down in ten minutes."I said yawning loudly.
Why was I so tired?
I dressed in the first pair of clothes I found in my tumbling heap.I texted Sabrina and asked for latest updates.She didn't reply and I guessed she was practicing for the duel tonight.
My phone rang as I stepped out of my room.It was Ky.I hesitated slightly before picking it up.
"What's up?"I asked nonchalantly.
"Everything okay with you?"he asked.
"Yeah.So far,all good"I said shrugging"why?"
"The negativists are being really forceful."he said in a low voice.
"Like how?"
"They keep demanding where we are hiding the human."
"Oh."I said."Well,it's better than being harassed by hunters"
"Hmm."he replied thoughtfully
"What does that mean?"I asked.
"What does what mean?"he said.
"You said "hmm", what do you mean by that?"I repeated.
"Wallahi I just want you to be safe bint,"he said, sounding grave.
"Okay cool?"I said warily.
"I'll just hang up alright?"he asked.
"Yeah...cool..."I murmured in confusion"You can...I mean bye."
"Yep bye."
"Oh and good luck for tonight."I added but he had ended the call already.
Weird.I thought.
I headed downstairs and quietly helped myself to a large can of chocolate milk and a piece of cold pita bread from the fridge.
The family was in the living room gathered around the LCD.
I headed to the backyard and took out my dagger,after satisfied that I was well concealed behind the trees.
I did some practice,aiming and throwing until my arm ached, but in the end I managed one perfect throw.
The arabian sun blazed over my head and sweat pored down my face.
How did arabs survive in this heat.
I thought for the hundredth time.
But then, they seldom were seen outside,exposed to this heat.Like right now the compound was deserted and the curtains to every house were drawn tightly.
As I swung my dagger around,a familiar feeling of being watched cut in my random thoughts.I remembered having this feeling before too.I stuffed the dagger in my trousers and looked around cautiously.The street was empty as ever.Something shone across the street and I started,before realizing it was a glint of sunlight on a tinted glass window.
I looked around until my eyes fell on a shadow looming out from under a tree at the corner of the street.
I stared and debated whether to go and check around the street or not.
It's just the tree's shadow.
But it was a different shadow disappearing around the turn of the street.There were other trees as well,none of them had a strange shadow sticking out beneath them.
An image of the tall figures of the forest night flashed in my mind.I felt exposed and fright grasped me.
I turned and ran around my house to the garage door.Once inside I bolted the door and peeked out of the window;the shadow was gone.
I gasped.
"I saw something."I blurted out,the moment Sabrina picked my call up after ten rings.
"Where?"
I explained everything.
"Are you sure you just saw a shadow?"She said,a little irritated.
"Yep but shadows don't just exist themselves.Things have shadows."I reasoned.
"Hang on a moment."
She switched to another call.
After two minutes she said"All clear around your area,Chia says it was her lurking around a few minutes ago maybe you saw her?"
"Maybe."I said."Tell her not to scare me like that."
"She didn't intend that.She just can't be seen by anybody."Sabrina defended.
"I just think I'm being..."
"Look,can we talk later?I have to practice babe."Sabrina cut in.
"Yeah sure."
She hung up.I sighed.
I headed back upstairs after grabbing an apple from the kitchen counter.
"Excuse me?"my mother's sharp voice came from behind me.
I groaned inwards.
"I told Alisa to call you downstairs for lunch and you went outside? Again!"
She thundered.
"I ate something before that and I wasn't outside, I was just in the backyard."I snapped at her.
"Don't smartmouth me young lady." my mother snapped right back.
"Look."I hissed shakily."Leave.Me.Alone.How obvious can I be?"
My mother regarded me with hawk-like eyes."Are you serious Katalyn Brent?"She said in a low voice."What in the world is gone wrong with you?You stay reserved when you are home and the rest of the time you are outside with strangers."her voice raised."You think you are old enough you can do anything you please?"she shouted, flying in a rage.
So you can come home again and humiliate us to death. Her voice echoed in my ears.
Stay here and rot with your friend.Stay here and rot with....
Her voice echoed in my ears.I clamped my ears to block the painful memories.The little girl screamed loudly in my head.
"NO DADDY DON'T LEAVE ME HERE......"
Laughter followed the voice.Then a cloaked black figure.Red,red eyes.Over the voice in my head I could hear her real voice yelling at me in a distance.
"Stop please stop please stop."I half- screamed and half-begged.
"WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU KATALYN BRENT?"My mother bellowed.
I stared at her face.
"Everything is wrong."I said quietly"Why don't you put me in an asylum again mother.Maybe I'm going crazy again."
My mother stared at me in pure horror.
"What do you mean?"she cried out.
"Put me in a mental institute mother, like you did when I was six."I said loudly and clearly.
Please be shocked.Please say it's a lie.
"Please"I pleaded."Tell me it's not true.Please."
My heart raced.She was staring with the same expression.
"I'm....."but she was lost for words.
Anger replaced fright and I looked at her with wide eyes."I humiliated you to death right?I was locked up for two years right?I begged and cried.I freaking killed myself mother.Because of YOU."I shouted.
"Kat..I..."she shook her head as tears formed in her eyes.
"I was freaking six mom.SIX YEARS OLD.I freaking hated it in there...."my voice broke.
"Honey please..."
"How could you?"I whispered bitterly."How could you do that..."my voice cracked and broke again.
My mom looked at me in terror."Kat please let me explain..."
"I know everything now.There is nothing to explain."I snapped shakily.
"What is going on?"Dad walked in the kitchen placing his coffee mug on the table.He looked between us,then his expression changed into alarm"Hey what happened?"
I didn't tear my eyes off my mother.
My mother looked at my dad with desperate eyes.
"You think I can stay a minute around you without thinking what you did?"I hissed angrily."Thanks for adding to the ten thousand problems I already have"I said in my best sarcastic voice and stormed out of the kitchen,pushing past my dad, before emotions took the best of me.He called out after me in a perplexed voice but I ignored him.
A painful lump had formed in my throat.
I paced my room with furious strides, my hands curled into fists and my head aching to combust.
How could I have not known all those years?Why didn't they mention it in all these passing years?And why did I have to find it now?
Loud rapping on my door made me tear out of my thoughts.
"Honey I need to talk to you."my father's voice came through the door.I shut my eyes tightly.
"I can't talk right now.Please go away!"I shot back.
"You are my daughter Kat and we need to talk it out."
"I said go away.I am not in the mood."
I heard him exhale."Ok but I want you to know that your mother and I never meant that to happen, and if you feel like talking we are right here."his voice was thick with concern.
I massaged my temple with trembling fingers,without answering.
I heard footsteps retrieve and I sighed angrily.I slammed a fist in my bed post.Why was all this happening to me?
My phone rang and I snatched it up.
It was Sabrina.
"Yeah?"
"Kat.The duel got cancelled today."
"Why?"
"I don't know exactly but there are so many inhumans in the city.I have a feeling hunters are behind this."she said in a worried voice.
"Behind what?"I asked distractedly.
"You don't get it?The duel's off and the place is loaded with Lamia, Alva and witches.Hunters can be around too.It's not safe for you."
"Oh."I said.
She sighed."You still don't get it."
"I do."I told her bitterly."I just learned to accept the fact that trouble likes me."
"Are you okay?"she asked.
I laughed humorlessly."If you mean besides the fact that my present is filled with inhuman creatures striving for my blood because I-have-no-idea why and my past suddenly became screwed up and my future...well, not sure if I even have one, yes all is okay Sabrina."
She exhaled loudly."I'm coming to pick you up."
"Whatever."I muttered under my breath.
"Stay there.I'll be there in a jiffy."she warned me.
I stayed in my room waiting impatiently and pondering over the information Sabrina gave me.
My window banged and I looked up in fright.
"It's only us."Sabrina's voice came through.
I crossed the room and flung open my window.
"Don't blame me if some neighbor saw you.I won't bail you out from jail"
I told her sourly as I helped her step over the window-sill.
Ky stepped in after her grinning.
"Not in the best of moods are we?"
I grimaced at him.
"Don't worry I won't need bail.I'll blast my way out."Sabrina said.
"Whatever."
"You okay?"she asked me quietly.
I nodded."Surviving.I just confronted my folks.Can't believe it's actually true..."my voice broke slightly but I concealed it with a cough.
I turned away,pretending to check my phone.I could feel the silent communication going between them.
Sabrina put a hand on my shoulder.
"I'm sorry but you can't let the past mess you up right now.Especially with the current situation."Her big beautiful eyes flashed with concern.
I nodded and smiled weakly."Let's just put it in my messed-up storage for laters?"
She nodded hesitantly.Ky averted his eyes.I felt like slapping them but I kept my cool.
"So the duel cancelled?"
"Yes that's exactly what I want to tell you.You are not safe tonight."
"What can happen at the extreme?"I raised my eyebrows.
"I don't know.Anything can happen."
"So what should I do?"I asked in slight panic.
"You can't stay here.We came to pick you up."Ky interrupted us.
"And I will be fine there?"I demanded.
"You will be around the witches Kat.That's the safest."Sabrina confirmed.
"Okay let's go."Ky said."The earlier the better."
"I'm not exactly the best with my family right now but I would certainly not like them to be harmed."
"No need for the parables.Like always, the witch is stationed here."Sabrina promised.
I nodded."I'll meet you down in five minutes."
"Cool, asrié ya bint."Ky told me.
"Yeah okay."I replied, understanding that he meant "hurry up".
They disappeared down my window and I grabbed my backpack,throwing random stuff in it.I pocketed my dagger and phone.
I hesitated slightly before unlocking my door and heading downstairs.
I was hoping to avoid my family but my parents were still in the kitchen talking in hushed voices.
My appearance made them look up in alarm.
"W..where are you going?"my mother asked in shock.
"Friend's"I said shortly, avoiding her eyes.
"Kat this is not helping anyone.Please just listen to us honey."
"I will talk when I feel like it."I said looking directly in her eyes."I need some space.I can't..do this anymore."I tried to explain.
She nodded,the pain visible in her eyes.
"I'm so sorry honey."
I nodded."I know,but it's not helping now.My friend is waiting."
"Kat I honestly don't like you going out with strangers.I don't trust your new friends."Dad cut in.
"Trust me they are the last creation on earth to hurt me."I said quietly.
I walked to the door rapidly and stepped out.
Sabrina and Ky stood leaning on the car.Sabrina motioned at me to be quick.
I shut the door and ran down the steps.The door opened behind me. I groaned and quickly got in the car.I ignored my parents standing on the porch watching, with tensed looks on their faces.
"Kat I'm sorry."my mom called out once again.
"Drive."I ordered through my teeth.
Sabrina shrugged and stepped on the gas.We drove in silence.
"That was..."Ky said after a few minutes.
"What?"I shot at him.
"We are going to the guesthouse." Sabrina interrupted us giving Ky a dark look.
"What guesthouse?"I asked.
"Where we are currently residing." She said,giving me a funny look.
"No I mean you don't live in U.A.E right?"
"Yes.I already told you once that I live in Jordan."
"You have parents too?"I asked slowly.
"What? No."she started laughing.
I rolled my eyes."What, did you just fall off the sky?"I said harshly.
She subsided,but didn't answer.
Ky glanced at me."Her parents were killed."
"Ky."Sabrina said warningly.
I stared at her in shock.
"I'm sorry."I whispered.
"It's history.I couldn't care less."she said airily,but I noticed her grip at the steering wheel was tight.
Her phone rang and she busied herself with the call.
Ky looked at me closely."You okay?"he asked.
"Yeah.Why?"
"I'm sorry about your parents."he said quietly.
I nodded without looking at him."It's cool."
He touched my arm."Really."
"I know."I mumbled.I wanted him to take his hand off my arm.He had no right to invade my personal space.
He squeezed my arm before removing it.
Sabrina was still talking.I was glad she didn't notice.I turned on the music and leaned my head on the seat shutting my eyes.
Where are you?
I whispered in my head.
What did you do to me?
I drifted in faraway thoughts.
Austin Mahone blasted through the speakers and pierced in my mind.
"What about love?what about promises?what about us till the end?♬" "♬You take it all and leave me nothing.♬"
My throat constricted.
I'm going crazy.
"Hey?"A voice pierced my thoughts.
My eyes snapped open.
Sabrina and Ky were peering in my face curiously.
"What?"I asked irritatedly.
"We are here."Sabrina said.
"We thought you fainted."Ky smirked.
I noticed the car was stopped outside tall secured gates.
I looked up at a huge manor standing in front of us, marble glistening in the soft glow of the moonlight.There were pine trees climbing to the sky, surrounded by a high wall that went round the area.
I gaped in awe.
"Done staring?"
I shut my mouth.
Presently the gates automatically droned open and a road unfolded.Sabrina drove her car inside and the doors shut behind us.The driveway lead to a parking area.I stared at the endless gardens miling around us.
She parked her car at a spot marked with red.A few luxurious cars were parked in various spots in the parking area.Silence hung the air.There were crystal lamps hanging within every ten yards,throwing eerie orange light, illuminating dancing shadows.I tried not to shiver in the chilly air.
I stepped on the ground trying to appear undisturbed.
Without a word Sabrina and Ky started walking across the parking area toward the front.We climbed a huge marble staircase approaching white double doors, lamps on either side of it.
Sabrina raised her hand and knocked thrice,loud and clear.
I swallowed my discomfort,half- wishing I was at home.
"Stay close."Ky told me quietly and I nodded.
The doors swung open,revealing an immense and beautifully poshed hallway.
"Welcome to my residence."
A tall girl wearing a silver fox-hide stole and a black short dress appeared in front of us.Her bubblegum pink hair fell to her waist and her face glowed white.I met her eyes and gulped as her big,golden irisis roved my length.
"Look what the cat finally dragged in."
She said in a syrupy voice.
Sabrina said something in arabic,her tone icy.
The girl rolled her golden eye balls and I tried not to shudder.She gave me a creepy smile."Make yourself at home human.We are delighted to have you with us."
She gave a tinkling laugh which was like a cold stab to my heart.
I shuddered again.
"Should I show her a room?"the witch asked,her eyes leering at me.
"I'll do that Zinnia."Sabrina said coldly.
Without a word she grabbed my hand and marched me down the hall toward a fleeting staircase.
I struggled out of her grip.
"What?"
"I can walk."I told her firmly.
She nodded and let go.
We finally stepped in a amply furnished room.
"Do you want to refresh or something?"Sabrina asked.
I shook my head.
"Okay put your stuff and come down.We have a meeting in five minutes."
I threw my things on the bed.
"Done.Let's go?"
"Alright.This is your room for now.Nobody can enter without your permission.The security charm is there."Sabrina explained.
"Cool."I couldn't help saying.
I followed the two further upstairs.
Sabrina knocked on polished, oakwood double-doors.A moment later she entered.We followed her inside.I tried not to gasp as all heads turned to stare at me.