Chapter 11

Brendon walks over to the table I'm sitting at with a smoothie in each hand. He sets one of them in front of me on the table and sits down in the chair across from me.

"So, when do you think we should tell your friends?" Brendon asks.

I sigh."I don't really know. They're all great friends and I think they'll be fine with it, but I'm just...scared."

"Spencer obviously knows already, right?"

"Yeah." I laugh quietly.

"Your friends are cool, you don't have to worry about them."

"But I know who I do have to worry about."

He looked confused until it clicked in his head. "Oh..."

"Who knows, maybe my dad isn't homophobic." I shrug. "He most likely is, but no one really knows what's going through his head anyways."

"About that...Do you wanna talk about it? You don't have to, it's just-"

"You say that a lot." I smile.

"What?"

"'You don't have to'"

"I just don't want people thinking I'm forcing them to do something."

"You're fine, don't worry about it." I smile.

***

"You wanna do homework over here?" Brendon asks when we reach his house.

"Sure."

He opens the door and shouts. "Hey mom, Ryan and I are gonna do homework in my room."

"How was work?"

"Same as usual. Ryan came with me, though."

"Sounds fun, you guys get started on homework. Once you're done, I've gotta talk to you Bren."

"Okay." Brendon says partially scared. We walk up the stairs into his room, which was cleaner than it was when I last saw it. His red notebook that was usually scattered somewhere was tucked away where it wasn't visible.

Brendon plops his backpack on the floor and crashes onto his bed exhaustedly.

"School is a pain in my ass." He says through a sigh.

"You're not the only one, trust me."

"Let's skip homework. Detention isn't that bad. We'll just talk to each other."

"That sounds great and all, but what about your job?"

"I've been looking for a way to get out of it anyways. I've missed multiple days already and they still haven't fired me. They probably won't with the lack of employees."

"Your parents will probably be pissed if you get fired."

"I'm already going to Hell once they find out I'm gay." He grins madly.

***

Brendon and I ended up sitting around and listening to music. Brendon would show me songs he liked and I would do he same with him.

"Oh shit, it's almost 9:00."

"Yeah, I should probably get going. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yeah, I'll walk out with you so it's not awkward." We both stand up and walk down the stairs. Brendon opens the front door for me.

"See you tomorrow." Brendon nods and shuts the door. I walk home in complete silence and darkness.

***

I walk to Spencer's in the morning and see Brendon pacing in his driveway as if he'd seen a ghost. Brendon sees me and speed walks over.

"My mom read my fucking notebook. She knows. She fucking knows."

"Oh my God. What did she say?"

"She just said she saw it and I was basically out-ed by my mom. She said she obviously thought it was wrong and that she's going to 'discuss what they're going to do with me with my father.'"

"That's fucked up. I'm sorry Bren."

"I'm going to be fucking homeless. They're going to kick me out and I'm going to get fired all in the same day."

I remember last night when we decided to skip homework and just go to detention after school. He was so sure of not getting fired then, but now that his mom has found out, everything is turning negative in his head.

"You're not going to get fired because you're going to work."

"I can't get in any more trouble."

"Then let me do your homework before class. It will be done before first period if you give it to me now."

He looked uneasy about me doing his work, but then opened his backpack and gave me his binder.

"I owe you, Ry. Thank you."

I smile and get to his work. We didn't really have that much homework, anyways.

Spencer walks over to us and immediately questions. "What's going on?"

"Ryan's helping me with my homework."

"Finally being the guy in the relationship." He mumbles quietly. My head raises from the work and I shoot Spencer the death glare.

I finished Brendon's homework just before the bell rang.

"Thank you so much, Ry. I owe you."

"How about another smoothie tomorrow?" I shrug.

"Good idea. Thank you again." He smiles and rushes off to class. Although he seemed more at ease, I could tell he was still worried about what was going on with his parents.

***

I was walking to the lunch area when suddenly I was pulled backward and around a corner. The bathroom door swings shut behind me and whoever was pulling me.

Then we stop and a blur launches forward

Oh.

I gain my composure and start to kiss back, grabbing Brendon's waist and eyes fluttering shut.

We stand there together, lips connected, in the boys bathroom.

Brendon pulls away and engulfs me in a hug, his head burying in my shoulder.

"Thank you."

"It was no big deal, Bren. You don't have to thank me."

"But, fuck. You're just so nice and you care and, ugh. Thank you." Heat creeps up my neck.

"Um, well, thank you." I don't know how to take compliments. I feel him let out a shaky laugh on my shoulder.

"This is probably weird, we've only known each other for a few days, and all. But I just feel, comfortable around you, you know?"

"Yeah, I get it. Listen, if you need any help, or you just want to talk, ju-"

"Shut up. Stop being perfect. I hate you." He muffles in my shoulder.

"Okay then..." I laugh.