Part 28 - Farewell?

~Chilled's POV~

"Chilled, can you run out here real quick?" Gassy calls out to me just outside the small room with the copy machine occupying a majority of the small amount of space in the room. I glance over to him but turn away to finish the business here, handing the papers to the other police before retreating from the room and head over to Gassy. Even when we're right by each others' sides we both look in opposite directions and call out to the others who needed our help before turning towards each other. "Sark told me to hand you this. Do you have time to drop by the shop we were talking about?"

"I'm not sure. If not I'll ask somebody else to go, I'll get somebody to if you're too busy," I say and he nods and turns away from me as I return to the small room. The office is busy. This is... a bad thing, meaning there is a lot more crimes being done and formalities that need to be done. To be expected around this time of year, usually there are more crimes being done therefore more work to be done by us in front of the entire Nanners thing that has been going on. Thankfully there weren't any Nanners notes found today, so far at least but it's one less thing to worry about for now. If anything Sark may be considering on hiring more detectives and the chief is thinking about hiring more police because of the work. On top of supplying Nanners attacks we also have to have a decent security on the rest o free town, it's just all a huge mess right now. After finishing talking with most of the police in the room I hurry back to my office and glance over the schedule for today. I have too much work, I'll be finished with all of this around midnight at earliest, there's no way I can check out that shop before it closes. Ze and most of my friends are busy right now too, I'll have to ask Smarty who shouldn't have to do a detective's job. Sighing I pick up the phone to call him when he should already be on his way home. There's no use, we have to ask for help from the police sometimes anyways.

"Chilled? What's up?" Smarty answers the phone and leaves me to hesitate. I'm not really used to asking him to help with something involving work, if anything he usually asks favors from me most of the time. Glancing over at anything else that would distract me I find another folder full of work and find myself become annoyed at the presence of work.

"Hey do you think you can check out something for us?" I ask and immediately it becomes silent on the other side of the line. Curious at the sudden silence I glance in the direction of the phone but before I can ask about it he responds.

"Yeah, yeah just text me the location. It won't be too bad, I usually put aside work for my girlfriend anyways," he says and I pause, glancing down at my desk. Put aside work for his girlfriend? I've... never done such a thing. In all my years of being a detective I've never once even considered doing that in fear for my own job over the girl. When I think back on it, it was probably because of work that most of my relationships have ended in failure. Every girl just became tired with it, if I paid attention to Jess more and sacrificed more for her I doubt we would have ever broken up. "Every once in a while is fine. Alright, I'm going to drop by home first then can you text me?"

"Yeah, I'll text you it. I have to go now," I say and hang up just as another cop walks into my office with folders in his hands. If I ever asked Sark for a break would he have allowed it? Thinking about it Sark is kind and understanding, he even takes breaks every so often to spend time and little vacations with his family. The only other detective who doesn't take as many breaks is Gassy, but thankfully for him Renee is understanding and they seem fine. Ze has schoolwork on the side so he needs a break every once in a while while others take the occasional breaks. Meanwhile here I am completely ignoring my personal life at times just for the sake of making sure I'm on top with my job because otherwise I'm just an always late sucker who is bound to get fired soon. This shouldn't be important now anyways, I'm single right now and currently hopelessly in an one sided relationship with Adam, I shouldn't care about this sort of thing and past relationships.