Almost Friendship

The thunder rattled the beach box. I could see great streaks of lightning illuminating the sky. Most of the tourists that were left grabbed their belongings and ran towards their cars. The bang reminded me so much of my past and I cringed away from the noise.

“You still hungry?” Jake smiled mischievously. I had almost forgotten about how hungry I was, but it was all coming back. So I nodded. Quietly, he slipped out of the beach box and gestured for me to follow him. I shook my head; no way was I risking myself for Jake’s plan. But Jake stubbornly grabbed my hand and whispered to me.

“There’s no one out here, they’ve all gone home,” I looked around, still suspicious but he was right. There wasn’t a person on the beach, well except for Jake.

I cautiously stepped out onto the sand and followed Jake. He was picking up the tourist’s fish and chip containers that they had left behind. Of course they were soaking but it was still edible. We both found little bits of left behind meals. It must’ve been a strange sight for the seagulls, two teenagers picking up their food in the middle of a wild thunderstorm.

“I’m going in, now,” I announced. I knew that I had spent too long in the open, it wasn’t safe. I ran into the beach box with Jake following me.

I put the food down and I grabbed a towel and wrapped it around myself. Never had I experienced such cold rain and such a rough thunderstorm.

Eating such a soggy dinner used skills that I didn’t even know I had. Sharp reflexes to catch the chips that split in half, using my tongue to check if the fish had sand on it and using arm muscle to rip the hardened potato cakes apart. There seemed to be an air of tension throughout the meal, but for once, I wasn’t the one creating it. There was something up with Jake and I was going to find out.

“Jake, are you enjoying this soggy meal?” I asked with a smile.

“What? Oh, yeah,” he answered, somewhat distracted. Then I noticed that he was holding his phone almost protectively.

“Have you got any interesting text messages?” I asked him. This time I was finding out about his private life, not the other way around.

“Um, no,” Jake said almost too quickly.

“I know something’s up, Jake. What’s the matter?” I said practically taunting him.

“Nothing, nothing’s wrong,” he said desperately.

“Come on, you can tell me,”

“There’s nothing to tell,” he said harshly. I wasn’t going to give up. Nowadays secrets were more valuable than money and this one was going to be priceless.

“Jake, I can tell that something’s on your mind,” He looked at me with a pained expression on his face, it reminded me of a wounded animal. His cold, dark eyes stared at me.

“Just drop it,” he growled. His sudden change of expression made me sure that there was something beneath the surface. Surely his secret wasn't as big as mine.