Sweet Young Thing

Peter's horse was galloping as fast as it could go. Peter knew he was pushing his horse much too hard, but Waya had a huge head start on him and Peter had to catch up. He couldn't let Aponi get away from him. Peter saw Waya, and he shouted to get his attention. Aponi looked back and pulled at Waya's shirt to have him slow his horse down.
Peter slowed his horse down when he was next to Waya's horse. Peter rode his horse so close that Aponi could reach him. He wrapped his arms around her and kissed her. Her arms automatically went around his neck and her fingers curled up in his hair. Aponi moved away from him for just a moment.
"I'm going with you," Peter said.
Aponi opened her mouth to say something, but Peter kissed her before she had the chance. She seemed to melt in his arms. Her fingers gripped his hair. Waya said something in an annoyed voice and Aponi pulled away from Peter.
"You can't come with us," She said.
"Why not?" Peter asked.
"They'll never accept you," Aponi said. "You are a white man."
Peter stared at her. "I don't want to lose you," He said.
Aponi shook her head slowly. "I can't stay with you, and you can't come with me..." She said slowly.
"I will follow you," Peter said. "I'll follow you wherever you go. I'm not gonna lose you..."
Aponi felt her eyes start to tear up. "You don't get it... We just can't stay together," She said. "We're from two different worlds."
Peter touched her face gently. "I'm not going to accept that," He said.
Waya said something again. It was said in a softer kinder tone. Aponi said something back to him. Her voice cracked as she spoke. Waya spoke gently to Aponi. Each word was soft as if they had come to an understanding.
"What did he say?" Peter asked.
Aponi bit her lip. "He said that he'll ask the elders if you can stay for a year," She said slowly.
"So I can go with you?" Peter asked.
Aponi nodded. She wrapped her arms around Waya's waist again then Waya began to ride his horse towards the tribe and Peter followed closely. After riding for about an hour they reached a clump of makeshift buildings. Most of the buildings were made of wood stacked up in a round cone shape.
Waya dismounted his horse. He said something to Aponi then turned to Peter.
"Stay here," Waya said simply before walking off.
Aponi was quiet. Peter sat in the saddle. His legs were starting to get sore. A little girl walked up to his horse and stared at Peter. She shouted something at Peter. Aponi laughed.
"What'd she say?" Peter asked.
"She said your hair is a weird color," Aponi replied smiling.
Peter smiled at the little girl, and the little girl smiled back. The little girl said something else then ran off. Peter smiled at Aponi. "She was adorable," Peter said.
Aponi nodded her head. "That was Bena," She said. "She's going to get her mother."
"Why?" Peter asked.
"She wants to show her mother your hair," Aponi said.
"My hair?" Peter said touching it.
"We do not have any blonde people in this tribe," Aponi said smiling. "This is the first time she has ever seen someone with blonde hair."
"I never thought my hair would be such a attraction," Peter said smiling.
Aponi smiled back at him. Three old men and Waya walked towards Peter and Aponi. They were speaking together quickly. Peter was completely confused on what they were saying. They walked to Aponi and spoke to her. She replied in their language. They seemed to have come to an agreement. Aponi turned to Peter. "The Elders have decided that you can stay with the tribe for a year, but if you do not learn our language and our ways by that time you will have to leave," Aponi said.
Peter nodded his head. "I can do that," He said.
"What about your friends in town?" Aponi asked.
"I'll figure out a way to send them a message," Peter said. "I'm staying here."
Aponi looked down at her hands. Bena returned dragging a taller woman. The woman stared at Peter. She turned to Waya and said something. Waya said something back. Aponi dismounted and picked up Bena and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. Bena laughed.
Peter dismounted. The woman walked over to him and touched his hair. Aponi said something to her and the woman said something back. The woman continued to mess with Peter's hair. She turned back to Aponi and said something else.
Aponi walked to Peter. "She said you have nice hair," Aponi said.
Peter smiled at the woman. She pinched Peter's cheek and fluffed up his hair again. Waya waved his hand at her and said something. She glared at him and took Bena from Aponi's arms and walked off.
Waya looked at Peter. "You will learn our language for Aponi," Waya said slowly. Peter could tell Waya didn't speak English very well. "If not, I have Aponi."
Peter turned to Aponi. "What does he mean by that?" Peter asked.
Aponi looked at the ground. She crossed her arms. "If you do not learn our language and our ways then I will have to..." Aponi started to say, but she didn't finish.
"You're gonna have to marry him?" Peter asked loudly.
Aponi shrugged. "It's up to you because I have done everything I can," She said. "Just learn our language, I will help you."
Peter's brow furrowed. Aponi got closer to him and hugged him. "I know you can learn," She said.
Peter smiled and kissed her on the cheek. "I can do anything for you," He said.

(Okay, something I forgot to mention last chapter, Waya is a name that means wolf in Cherokee. Technically Cherokee Indian weren't in California, but you gotta understand I know very little about American Indians, and for some reason I can't find anything on the Native Americans from California. I only know about the Native Americans of Texas. Bena is a name that means pheasant in a Native American language, don't know which. This once again shows my lack of knowledge about Native Americans. I'm sorry I suck at getting information like that, but I don't know what websites to use. I sneakily snuck in random song lyrics cuz I can do that. Um... One last song and this story will be over.
Well, the story is very close to the end... ~ Adde Away!)