Instead of Waking Up to Find

Micky looked at Mike. They both looked startled at Mike's outburst. Mike looked surprised at himself. Why had he blown up like that? He wasn't even really interested in Calphurnia. She was just a very nice woman to talk to.
Davy shoved Micky's shoulder. "Are you serious?" He asked.
Micky composed himself. "Yes, I am," He said. "I'm gonna propose as soon as she gets off work."
Peter was smiling like a happy child. "Gee, I wish you all the luck in the world," He said.
Micky smiled. "Hey, Peter, would you be my best man?" He asked. "You're really the only reason I did this. If it hadn't been for you then I'd probably still be in there just flirting with her and never getting anywhere."
"If she says yes," Peter said nodding.
"She'll say yes, at least I really hope she will," Micky said. He was starting to ramble a little.
Mike had leaned back in his seat. Why was he so disturbed by this news? He looked unhappy, but Peter and Micky and Davy didn't seem to notice. They were speaking among themselves about how good it was for Micky to be getting married. Mike stood up and they didn't even seem to notice. He walked out of the restaurant and up the stairs and into his room in the hotel. He sat down on his bed then laid back. He needed to clear his head.
Downstairs Micky and Peter and Davy were talking. Micky had somehow managed to get them talking about something besides how he was going to propose to Calphurnia. Now he and Davy were trying to get Peter to admit to being in love with Aponi. He kept tactfully avoiding the question. He just didn't feel comfortable admitting he loved Aponi in front of Micky.
Sure, Peter liked Micky fine, but he still felt slightly nervous because of the fact that Aponi was an Indian. Peter also hadn't known Micky as long as he had known Davy and Mike. With Mike and Davy Peter could usually guess what their reactions would be, but every reaction Micky had seemed to surprise Peter. Micky was unpredictable. Random...
"Come on, we were just talking about it," Davy said. "You love her don't you?"
Peter looked down at the tablecloth. He suddenly noticed his food had been taken. He looked over at Micky, who was now munching on Peter's dinner.
"Give that back!" Peter exclaimed.
Micky smiled and passed Peter back his plate. "Sorry, I was hungry," He said.
Peter shot him an annoyed look then began to shovel his food into his mouth as fast as he could so that Micky wouldn't take it. Micky had a smile on his face. When Peter finished gobbling down his food he stood up and headed back towards the saloon. Micky followed him closely behind. Micky tapped Peter's shoulder.
Peter turned to look at Micky. "Do you love Aponi?" Micky asked.
Peter frowned. "Why are you asking?" Peter said slowly.
"I just want to know," Micky insisted.
Peter stared for a little longer. What would Micky do? "Yes..." Peter said slowly.
Micky smiled and patted Peter on the back. "That's nice," He said.
Peter nodded. All he said was that it was nice... Just nice...
Peter and Micky walked into the saloon. Micky smiled at Calphurnia. Peter went straight to the piano. He was in a better mood so the piano playing was happier. The saloon seemed to light up with Peter's piano playing. Vincent shuffled in a few minutes after Peter and Micky settled in the saloon. He looked in a relatively good mood. Something good must have happened.
Micky stood up and sat with the deputy and so did Calphurnia. "What has you in such a good mood?" Calphurnia asked.
Vincent smiled. "Darlene's visiting with my kids and Debbie," He said.
"How does Jackie feel about this?" Calphurnia asked.
"I haven't told her yet," Vincent said, "but I think she'll understand. They are my kids."
Calphurnia nodded.
"I'm happy about it. My kids... I don't get to see them enough," Vincent said. Vincent looked straight into Micky's eyes. "If you have kids don't ever let them out of your life for any amount of time. They're the best thing that can happen to a person."
Micky was slightly taken aback by Vincent's sincerity. Micky smiled. "I won't," He said.
Vincent smiled then turned to Calphurnia. "Well, get me a beer and a few glasses," He said. "Let's celebrate!"
Calphurnia smiled and went to get him the beer and the glasses. The bartender handed her a bottle of beer and three glasses. Calphurnia walked back towards Vincent and sat back down next to him.
Vincent took the beer and poured himself and Micky and Calphurnia drinks. Micky looked over at Calphurnia.
"Can I talk to you after you're out of work?" Micky asked her.
Calphurnia nodded taking a drink of the beer Vincent poured her. Calphurnia was avoiding eye contact with Micky. Vincent was glancing back and forth between them. Vincent knew something was going on between the two of them, but he wasn't sure why Calphurnia acting so distant towards Micky.
About ten minutes later Micky brought Peter a beer. Peter drank a little as he played the piano. "You know any good love songs?" Micky asked Peter.
"A few..." Peter said slowly. "How about Get Along Home, Cindy-Cindy?"
Micky smiled and nodded. "That's a good one," He said.
Peter began to play, and Micky started to sing. Peter would sing the chorus with Micky. Their singing drew a small crowd.

"I wish I was a apple hangin' in a tree
And everytime my sweetheart passed
She'd take a bite off me
She told me that she loved me
She called me sugar plum
She threw her arms around me
I thought my time had come

Get along home, Cindy-Cindy
I'll marry you sometime

I wish I had a needle
As fine as I could sew
I'd sew her in my pocket
And down the road I go
Cindy hugged and kissed me
She wrung her hands and cried
Swore I was the prettiest thing
That ever lived or died

Get along home, Cindy-Cindy
I'll marry you sometime..."

Calphurnia watched the two boys as they came to the end of the song. Peter was surprised at how differently Micky sang the lyrics than they had been during the night at the jail house. Vincent was watching the two of them with a smile on his face. Micky and Peter went through a bunch of different songs until it was closing time for the saloon. Vincent left after a few rounds of beer.
Peter and Micky walked out of the saloon. They waited outside the door for a few minutes before Calphurnia walked out alone. Peter left the two of them alone as he walked back to the hotel.
Micky took Calphurnia's arm and walked with her. "I wanna ask you something," He said quietly.
Calphurnia looked at him with an eyebrow raised. "What do you wanna ask me?"
"Have you ever thought of getting married?" Micky asked.
"Yeah," Calphurnia said. "Why?"
"Have you ever thought of marrying me?" Micky asked.
Calphurnia looked up at the sky. "The thought has crossed my mind," She said nervously.
"Marry me," Micky said stepping in front of her and taking her hands in his.
Calphurnia looked at the ground. She looked like she was about to cry. "Oh, Micky..." She said quietly.
Micky leaned forward and kissed her softly on the cheek. Calphurnia's hands were shaking. She was crying by this time. "Micky, why?" Calphurnia asked.
"Cuz, I love you," Micky said leaning forwards again and kissing her on the nose.

(Sorry for how late this part is, but Wattpad was updating, I think. I actually really dig this update. It's so nice and slick. Plus I can't finally make things align in the middle and that makes me soooooo happy! Poetry is gonna be so frickin' great! And for your amusement, a haiku I just wrote off the top of my head:

A river runs so
Softly through the trees, how I
Wish I was a stream.

Gosh this makes me happy! ~ Adde Away!)