Let's Dance On

Mike stood in front of Micky's general store. The rain had flooded the road so Mike had to walk on the wooden sidewalks. He only had to go through the road once and he did that in a sprint to make sure his shoes didn't soak completely through.
The rain was starting to let up. Mike walked into the general store. Micky was behind the counter in a stained white apron. Mike walked towards the counter. "You have any clocks?" Mike asked.
Micky frowned at Mike. "A clock?" Micky asked. "What for?"
"I figured I'll need one to put on my fireplace when I build it," Mike said smiling slightly.
Micky's face broke out into a large smile. "You got the land?" He asked.
"Not yet, but we'll have it soon," Mike said.
Micky smiled wider. "Gosh, I gotta go tell Calphurnia!" He exclaimed.
Mike nodded. "I wanted to tell you yesterday, but you came in with all that marriage stuff," He said.
"How much are we gonna pay?" Micky asked.
"A thousand dollars," Mike said.
Micky was bubbling with happiness. "This'll be great!" He started to ramble. "I'll be able to... I'll be able to do some much!"
Mike smiled slightly. Micky took off his apron. He slipped out from behind the counter. "I'm gonna buy you a drink," Micky said. "I'll close up here. It isn't like anyone is coming in anyway. It's all rainy and nobody wants to walk through all that."
Mike smiled again. "That sounds like a perfectly wonderful idea," He said in a fake pompous accent.
Micky busted out laughing. "You sound weird trying to talk like a Yankee," He said.
Mike rolled his eyes. "Let's just go and get that drink," He said.
"Wait a moment! I've got something," Micky said suddenly rushing behind the counter to get something. He pulled an umbrella out.
"What's that for?" Mike asked staring.
"It's an umbrella," Micky said. "I order a whole bunch of them from Paris cuz I though people would want them. Seems like only ladies want them."
"What's it for?" Mike insisted.
"Shields you from the rain and sun," Micky said walking back towards the door. Mike stared at the umbrella. It looked really strange; it looked rubber unlike a parasol.
Micky stepped out the door. "You coming?"
"Yeah," Mike said following Micky out the door.
Micky opened the umbrella then stepped out into the rain. Mike watched with his brow furrowed. It looked like the umbrella was shielding Micky from most of the rain. Mike ran so he was under the umbrella too. It was really a small umbrella so they were close together, which made Mike a little uncomfortable, but Micky didn't seem to care in the slightest. They walked towards the saloon.
When Mike and Micky entered they were greeted by the happiest music they had ever heard come out of that saloon. Peter was sitting at the piano with Aponi beside him. Aponi was wearing her blue dress. She looked very happy. Calphurnia saw Micky walk in. She walked him and Mike to a table and sat down with them.
"What would you two want?" She asked.
"Two beers!" Micky exclaimed.
Calphurnia walked off to get Mike and Micky their beers. Mike frowned as he watched Peter play. Mike made sure to keep his voice down so that Peter couldn't hear him.
"Does it make you uncomfortable that Peter is always with that squaw?" Mike asked Micky.
Micky shrugged. "Not really, but I haven't really noticed," He said.
Calphurnia was back with their drinks. "Say, Cal, do you think it's strange that Peter's with a redskin?" Micky asked.
Calphurnia stared at Micky. "A redskin?" She asked.
"The girl at the piano," Micky said.
Calphurnia looked over. She looked back at Micky. "She is an Indian," Calphurnia said surprised. "Does Peter know?"
Mike nodded his head. Calphurnia looked back at Micky in surprise. "And he doesn't care?"
Micky shrugged. "I think he really likes her," He said.
Calphurnia looked back over at Aponi for a moment then turned back. "I'd hardly say it's respectable, but Peter is a little... um... strange," Calphurnia said.
Micky and Mike nodded in agreement. "Oh, Cal, you know that land I was talking about?" Micky said.
Calphurnia nodded.
"We'll have it very soon," Micky said smiling.
Mike was staring into his beer. He was thinking. Calphurnia was a dancing girl; she wasn't a respectable girl to marry. Aponi was an Indian; she wasn't respectable for a white man to court. What was a respectable girl? June, a rich, young lady that was all too ready to point out who wasn't respectable. Mike was starting to feel slightly guilty as he realized how narrow minded he must seem.
"Hey, Mike," Micky said nudging Mike in the side.
Mike looked up. He hadn't heard a word that Micky and Calphurnia said. "Yeah."
"Do you want another beer?" Micky asked.
Mike hadn't even realized he had drank all his beer. "Oh... Um... No."
Micky nodded and went back to talking to Calphurnia. Mike turned to Micky.
"Hey, I have to go," Mike said. "Thanks for the beer."
"Oh, you're welcome," Micky said. "Bye."
Mike walked out of the saloon to escape the music. It had stopped raining, but the streets were still muddy and flooded. Mike walked to the sheriff's office. He knocked on the door. Vincent answered it.
"Can I talk with you?" Mike asked.
Vincent opened the door wider for Mike to come in. Mike stepped inside. The sheriff wasn't in. Vincent noticed Mike looking at the empty desk.
"He's transporting a prisoner to the marshal in Dodge," Vincent said. "Colorado went with him."
Mike nodded his head. Mike sat down on one of the old wooden chairs and Vincent sat beside him.
"What's on your mind?" Vincent asked.
"Have you ever suddenly realized how prejudiced you are?" Mike asked.
Vincent frowned slightly. "Can't say that I have," he said, "but I bet I can understand what you're sayin'."
Mike turned to Vincent and started to tell him about how he felt annoyed with the fact that Micky was marrying Calphurnia and that he thought it was weird that Peter was so attached to Aponi. He tried to explain the weird things he kept thinking. He started to pour out everything he was thinking. And Vincent listened because he knew that it was frustrating Mike because he wasn't happy for his friends. Vincent listened because he knew what it was like to be guilty about something that he couldn't control.

(I think I am gonna just post these when ever I finish them because I can't keep a schedule. I'm just really bad at schedules and I'm sorta a procrastinator. Sorry I'm such a failure...
Well, let's see how everything turns out... ~ Adde Away!)