Come With Me, Leave Yesterday Behind...

A smile drifted to Peter's face. He draped his arm over Calphurnia's shoulder, and he squeezed her arm softly. "That's so sweet!" He exclaimed.
Calphurnia shushed him. She glanced around nervously. "I can't let anyone know," She hissed. "If men knew then I'd be out of the job. This is all I can do."
Peter's brow furrowed. Calphurnia shrugged. "Oh, what's the point? Micky wouldn't marry me," She said. "He knows what type of girl I am."
"Hey, maybe he doesn't care," Peter said.
"Everyone cares about that sort of thing. I sold my chances for marriage when I took this job," Calphurnia said.
Peter frowned. He didn't know what to say. Maybe Calphurnia was right. He never heard of a dancing girl getting married before.
Calphurnia stood up and started walking around the tables. Peter watched her for about a minute. Her hands would linger on cowboys' shoulders for just a little too long. She would let her lips get just a little too close to the cowboys' faces. She would let the cowboys' hands rest on her lower back for just a little too long.
A song Peter had heard a long time ago crept into his head. He played the notes he remembered, but the words alluded him. Micky walked into the saloon. He walked by Calphurnia and gave her a large happy grin. Micky sat next to Peter. "What are you playing?" He asked.
Peter shrugged. "I can't remember the words to it or the name..." He said.
"It sounds familiar to me too," Micky said.
Micky and Peter sat together trying to figure out the words to a song they both vaguely remembered. Calphurnia was serving people drinks and flirting for tips. The day was normal.
•••
Davy and Mike had gone back to panning for gold. They were finding a good amount of gold. They needed the money a lot now since they were staying in the hotel, and they, plus Micky and Peter, were going to buy land.
Mike had his hat in his hand. He wiped his forehead with the back on his other hand. He was sweating pretty bad. Davy was in the shade.
"Davy, it's your turn!" Mike called.
Davy sat up and headed towards the stream. He took the pan from Mike and dipped it in the stream. Mike walked to the shade. He fanned himself trying to cool down his sweaty body.
As Davy sloshed the dirt out of the pan a thin layer of small golden nuggets appeared at the bottom. Davy poured them into a bag that was just about half filled. He sighed and splashed his face with water. He dipped the pan back in the water and began to pan for more gold.
"How much money do you think is in this bag?" Davy asked.
"Maybe a few hundred dollars," Mike said wiping his forehead.
"Do you think we'll ever have enough money to stop doing this?" Davy asked.
"Maybe, I don't know," Mike said. "I guess we probably should do something less backbreaking for our money."
"Hey, I had a kinda funny thought," Davy said. "What if we became an entertainment band?"
"That is a funny thought," Mike said rolling his eyes.
"Seriously though," Davy said, "people love bands. People love to dance."
"You reckon we'll have a jubilee everywhere we go," Mike said sarcastically.
"Mike..." Davy groaned. "Don't you like playing your guitar?"
"Not enough to perform in front of other people," Mike said. "It's just a thing to do. I wouldn't be able to do it as a living."
"Why not?" Davy asked.
"You don't get paid much for playing a guitar," Mike said.
Davy shrugged. "Well, I guess you're right," He said still panning.
"I know I'm right," Mike said putting his wool hat over his eyes.
Davy sat there with his hands in the water. It was cool compared to the air around him. Davy had an idea. He slipped off his boots and pants and shirt until he was just in his undergarments. He stepped into the stream and continued to pan.
After about an hour Mike woke up. He sat up realizing it was probably about his turn to pan. He was greeted by Davy in his bright red underclothes. Mike's eyebrows raised. "What are you doing?" He asked.
"Cooling off," Davy said. He smiled at Mike sheepishly. "The water's nice."
Mike shook his head slowly. "What if a girl walked by?" He asked.
"Has any girls walked by since we started panning here?" Davy retorted.
"No, but..." Mike started.
"But nothing. I'm a lot more comfortable panning like this than fully clothed and crouching next to the water," Davy said.
Mike started mumbling stuff under his breath. "If you're so comfortable you can keep panning," He said laying back again.
Davy heard Mike mutter something about how it was improper for a man to only only wear a union suit anywhere besides his own home. Davy rolled his eyes and continued to pan. He was at it for another hour before he heard hoof beats in the distance. He didn't pay them any mind at first. They sounded far away, but they seemed to get closer and closer. Then they were right on top of Davy and Mike.
Davy ducked under the water. Mike sat up.
"Hi down there!"
It was June. Davy turned about as red as his union suit. June glanced at him for a second and busted out laughing. "Oh calm down, I've got brothers," She said.
Mike stared at her. "What are you doing here?" He asked.
"This is my pa's land," June said smiling slightly at him.
Mike frowned. "Oh, we're sorry, we didn't know," He said quickly.
"Hey, it's fine," June said slipping off her horse. "I like ya so I won't say anything, and I'll even let you keep all that gold, under one condition..."
Mike stared at her. "What's the condition?" He asked slowly.
"You agree to take me out," June said smiling at him.
Mike bit his lip slightly. He was trying to think. Davy was still hiding himself under the water with only his head above the surface.
"Alright," Mike said slowly. There was a lot of gold there and it was technically June's and her father's.
June smiled. "Good, I'll meet you in front of the saloon tonight at eight," She said.
June turned to Davy. "How impolite am I? What's your name?" She asked.
"Davy Jones."
"Nice to meet ya," June said. "I'm June Finch."
"It's very nice to meet you, miss," Davy said.
June laughed. "Ya know, you can come out of the water," She said between giggles. "You're liable to catch a cold under there."
Davy stood up. He was dripping wet. June couldn't stop laughing.
"I warned you," Mike said simply.
Davy shot Mike a dirty look. June was leaning on her horse as she laughed. Davy stepped out of the stream and collapsed into the grass. June sat down beside Mike. She was still a heap of giggles.
Mike noticed June had a pretty smile. Finally she stopped laughing to catch her breath. Mike rolled to face her.
"So, why are you being so nice to us?" He asked.
June looked at him for a moment or two. She was weighing her answer carefully.
"Well, I grew up with brothers, ten of them, and you're one of the few men I've met that doesn't look like any of them," June said.
Mike laughed. "I guess that's something," He said.
June smiled at him. "Should I wear a dress?" She asked.
"When?"
"On our date."
Mike was quiet for a little while. "Yeah, why not," He said.
June smiled at him again. She did have a very pretty smile.

(Union suits are those old fashion underclothing that cover most of your body. If you've ever watched a western you'd have probably seen one. They're the typical undergarments of a cowboy, usually of a bright red color. I really do suck at love stories. So far everyone's got somebody laid out for them 'cept Davy. They're isn't even any conflict with the love and stuff. I just falls evenly into place... I'm gonna have to spice this up...
Hehe, what will I do? ~ Adde Away!)