Happiness That's All Rolled Up In You...

A few weeks passed. Aponi got rid of the splint. Her leg was all healed up now. Peter, Davy, Mike, and Micky were in the process of buying some land. It was a large spread of land. The land had a lot of grass and streams. It was perfect for grazing cattle.
Aponi had, on a few occasions, asked Peter to help her get back to her tribe, but he had always told her that he was busy. She was a little grateful that he hadn't brought her to her home yet. She knew that if she went back she'd never see him again.
Peter bought her another dress. This one without a hat. It was a simple light pink dress with buttons to the waist. The skirt was a slightly darker color. He also bought her a large bag of beads. Aponi was grateful for something to do. She could make necklaces with the beads, and that gave her something to do while she stayed in the hotel room during the long hours of the day.
Every now again Aponi would go out and walk around. No one noticed her when she had her parasol over her head. One day she almost got the nerve to visit Peter at the saloon, but when she stood at the doors she lost her nerve and decided not to enter. She stood at the doors for a few minutes. She paced back and forth in front of the saloon. Suddenly the door swung open and a man knocked her over.
"Oh, I'm sorry," The man said helping her up.
"Oh, it's alright," Aponi said brushing her dress off. She looked up at him. She recognized him as the man that had been eating with Johnny and Colorado awhile back.
He smiled at Aponi. "My name's Link Wray, miss," He said.
Aponi opened her mouth to tell him who she was, but closed it. Should she tell him her real name or should she tell him the white name she had made up?
"You're Indian, aren't you?" Link asked.
Aponi stared for a moment at how abrupt his question was. "Yes, I am," She said slowly.
Link nodded his head. Aponi noticed his features looked Shawnee. "You are too..." She said quietly.
He nodded. Aponi stared in amazement. "Oh, my name's Aponi," She said quickly.
Link smiled and nodded. "It is very nice to meet you," He said. "Were you going in the...?"
"Oh, no, well, I was, but I don't think I will," Aponi said quickly stumbling over her words.
Link laughed slightly. "Why aren't you going in now?" He asked.
Aponi's brow furrowed. "I do not belong in there..." She said. "Not right now at least."
Link's lips parted for a moment as if he was about to say something. He shook his head. He cocked his head slightly.
"I suppose that makes no sense," Aponi said.
Link shook his head. "No, it makes a lot of sense to me," He said.
Aponi smiled a little. She was grateful that he wasn't asking to her to explain. Even she wasn't sure why she didn't feel right in the saloon.
"Well, it was nice meeting you," Link said. "I have to be going."
"Goodbye," Aponi said.
Link walked off. Aponi watched after him for a few moments. She was trying to decide how she felt about someone knowing what she was. She sighed and headed back towards the hotel.
In the saloon Peter was playing the piano. The saloon was lit up with a happy feeling. Colorado was sitting near a window rolling a cigarette. He was alone at his table. Before Link had been sitting with him, but Link had decided to leave so Colorado was left alone. Calphurnia walked to him. He looked up at her.
"Can I sit with you?" She asked.
"Yes, ma'am," Colorado said.
Calphurnia took the seat beside him. "Are you not drinking anything?" She asked.
"I don't like to drink alone," Colorado said blinking his blue eyes slowly. Calphurnia noticed how his lips slightly pouted when he did that. It looked almost like an involuntary action. As if he had to make a look that told her to come nearer.
Calphurnia kept her distance. Men that knew they were attractive were extremely dangerous in her business. "Should I bring something for us to drink?" Calphurnia asked. She leaned forward a bit.
Colorado smiled. "Unfortunately, I am waiting for someone else. Someone a lot less attractive than you," He said.
"I wouldn't say a lot less," Dean Martin said as he walked up and sat down with Colorado. "I'll have you know I am very popular with women."
Dean smiled at Calphurnia. Calphurnia tilted her head. "I can see why," She said smiling at him playfully.
"Can you get me and Colorado a couple of beers?" Dean asked.
Calphurnia nodded and walked off to the bar. She got a couple of beers and walked back to the table Colorado and Dean were sitting. She handed the two men their beers. Dean smiled and placed a dollar piece into Calphurnia's hand.
"Me and Colorado are gonna talk privately for a little while," Dean said.
Calphurnia nodded and walked off to sit with Peter at the piano. She let out a sigh. Peter looked over at her.
"What's wrong?" He asked.
"Do you think I'm losing my charm?" Calphurnia asked. "I seem to be blown off more and more lately."
Peter shook his head. "I wouldn't say so," He said. "Micky's still always happy to see you."
Calphurnia sighed again. "Gosh, Micky..." She said quietly. She looked out the window. "How does he actually feel about me?"
Peter was staring down at the piano keys. "I'm not really good at judging these things, but I think he's in love with you," He said.
Calphurnia rested her face in her hands. "God, he's a fool," She said.
Peter looked over at her in surprise. "What do you mean?" He asked.
"I'm not good for a man... I'm just not," Calphurnia said.
Peter stopped playing the piano. "Why not?" He asked.
Calphurnia laughed a small, sad laugh. "Dancing girls don't make good wives, Peter," She said.
Peter placed his hand on her shoulder. "I don't think Micky cares that you're a dancing girl or anything like that," He said. "He really does seem to love you."
Calphurnia looked up at Peter. She smiled slightly. "That's why he's a fool," she said, "and that's why I love him."

(Wut? Wut? Did I just do that? So, readers, how do you feel about this little budding romance? Should it happen? What should Mike do? What about Peter and Aponi? I'm finally getting to the romantic stuff. Took me long enough. Let's celebrate! This has one hundred views! That's an achievement! Thank you to everyone who has read and voted for this story!!!
Love is like a window pane. The sun shines in, but it stops the rain... ~ Adde Away!)