And Make Me a Brand New Start...

Johnny was still playing the guitar when the dawn came again. The music had put everyone is a better mood. Peter and Davy had fallen asleep on the floor. Mike was sitting by Johnny in the seat Vincent had been in before he had gone to sleep. Johnny got bored and started to make silly noises on the guitar. Every now and again he'd pass the guitar to Mike, and Mike would play for a little while.
Johnny got bored and started to hum. Mike passed the guitar back, and Johnny started to play the tune he was humming. "You know this song?" Johnny asked.
Mike shook his head.
"I don't feel like singin' it to you, but I'll juss tell ya, if Gene was up he'd be singing along. He loves this song," Johnny said.
Mike shook his head. "You kinda talkta me like I'm a kid," He said.
Johnny shrugged. "You are, ain't ya?" He asked.
"I can't be that much younger than you," Mike said.
"Age really doesn't separate a kid from a man," Johnny said. "It's the 'mount of life he's lived."
"What's that supposed to mean?" Mike asked.
"See some people live more life than other people. Like Gene, he's seen a lot of life, and along with that a lot of heartache," Johnny said.
Mike shrugged his shoulders. "I think you're just makin' this stuff up," He said.
Johnny shook his head. "See, you just don't get what I'm sayin'," He said.
"Eh, give me that guitar," Mike said.
Johnny passed Mike the guitar. Mike began to play another tune.
"What's that one?" Johnny asked.
"I don't know," Mike said.
Johnny frowned. "You should get your guitar," He said. "I'm tired of having to share my guitar."
Mike rolled his eyes and passed Johnny his guitar back. The sun entered the jail windows. Peter woke up yawning.
"Good morning," Johnny said.
Peter rubbed his eyes. "Good morning," He said.
"We're gonna need coffee," Johnny said, "a lot of it..."
Peter yawned again. "Should I go get some?" He asked.
Johnny smiled at Peter. "Would you?" Johnny asked.
Peter scratched his head and nodded.
"Don't go out there!" Vincent exclaimed coming out of one of the cells. His hair was messed up.
Peter looked over at Vincent in surprise. Vincent limped over towards him. Vincent hit Peter over the head. Peter put his hand on where Vincent had hit him. It woke him up pretty well.
"If you go out there you're gonna get shot. You're a witness," Vincent said.
Peter looked down at the floor. "I'm sorry," He said.
Vincent shook his head. "You just gotta be careful," He said.
Peter was still looking at the floor. Vincent put his hand on Peter's shoulder. "Hey, I'm sorry I hit you," He said.
Peter nodded his head. He looked like he was about to cry. Vincent stared at Peter. He felt bad for hurting Peter.
"I'm sorry," Vincent said walking off a bit.
Peter nodded again. He still looked like he was going to cry. Vincent limped back towards him. "Hey Peter?" He asked.
Peter looked up at Vincent. "Are you alright?" Vincent asked.
Peter nodded, but he still looked like he was about to cry. Vincent ruffled his hair. "Come on, don't cry," Vincent said.
Johnny began to play the tune he had been playing while he was talking to Mike. Vincent looked over at Johnny.

"It's summertime and the living be's easy
Oh, summertime and the living be's oh-oh the living be's easy
Everyday, when your mommy get lonely, whoa-oh-oh,
Hush pretty baby, hush now, don't you cry-y-y-y
Whoa-oh, don't cry, don't you cry, don't cry, don't you cry..."

Peter smiled at Vincent. Vincent wasn't sure if Peter was all calm yet so he kept singing. Johnny was getting fancy with the guitar.

"Your momma's rich, and your daddy's good lookin',
Ah, your momma's rich, and you daddy be's, whoo-oo, had to be good lookin'
Everyday when your mommy gets lonely, whoa-oh-oh,
Well now, hush pretty baby, hush now, don't you cry...
Don't you cry, whoa-oh, don't you cry..."

Vincent sang the "don't you cry" part for awhile. Peter was smiling now.
"Where'd you learn that?" Peter asked.
Vincent bit his lip slightly. "My nurse maid sang it to me..." He said. "There was more, but it's been so long since I've actually heard the song."
Peter smiled. "I liked it," He said.
Vincent scratched his hair. "Yeah, I always did," He said. "Guess it always had a special meaning to me..."
Peter walked over to Johnny. "Can I see your guitar?" He asked.
Johnny nodded his head and passed his guitar to Peter. Johnny began to roll himself a cigarette. Micky knocked on the door of the jail; he had a coffee pot in his hands. Mike answered the door. Peter took Mike's seat and started to strum on the guitar.

"Love is understanding,
Don't you know that this is true.
Love is understanding,
It's in everything we do.

In this generation,
In this lovin' time,
In this generation,
We will make the world shine.

We were born to love one another
This is something we all need.
We were born to love one another
We must be what we're goin' to be
And what we have to be is free.

In this generation,
In this lovin' time,
In this generation,
We will make the world shine.

We were born to love one another
This is something we all need.
We were born to love one another
We must be what we're goin' to be
And what we have to be is free.

Love is undertanding, we gotta be free
Love is undertanding, we gotta be free..."

Peter finished singing to song quietly. Micky stood beside him. "I liked how that sounded," Micky said. "What's it called?"
Peter scratched his head. "I just wrote it," He said.
Micky stared. "Like on the spot?"
Peter nodded.
"Can I give it a name?" Micky asked.
Peter shrugged.
Micky smiled. "For Pete's Sake," He said.
Peter's brow furrowed. "What?"
"That's the name," Micky said proudly.
"For Pete's Sake?" Peter said slowly and uncertainly.
"I like it," Mike said.
Peter frowned. "I don't know," He said.
"I like it," Aponi said quietly from the corner.
Peter smiled at her. "For Pete's Sake it is!" Peter exclaimed.
Micky and Mike glanced at each other. Micky smirked. Mike looked slightly worried.

(Oh lord, more lyrics... Another author's note. I bet you're about to kill me. Summertime is a cover Gene Vincent did of the song in Porgy and Bess. He definitely put his own touch to it. Sam Cooke and Big Mama Thornton both did very good versions of this song too. Something I noticed just now, For Pete's Sake is almost in a blues format. Fun, the blues is great. Is that grammatically correct? I don't even know... Gosh, I'm bushed. I stayed up late last night watching a documentary.
Love is understanding ~ Adde Away!)