Chapter Forty.

Hey Little Outsiders!

I am really sorry that I couldn't update for the past two weeks, but I have a perfectly valid reason as to why I couldn't update.

My little brother had chicken pox, and guess who hasn't had that when she was a kid? Yeah, me. So I was covered in blisters and I wasn't in any mood to write which lead me to not being able to update.

I've only just gotten better, so I hereby give you Chapter Forty!

Chapter Forty.

I was waken by a shove on my shoulder.

Okay, maybe not a shove, but a nudge.

"Yeah?" I croaked, blinking my eyes rapidly before rubbing away the sleep from my eyes. I looked up to a woman wearing all white. A Nurse. "Is Uriah awake?" Instantly, I felt like someone had just given me all of their energy. Or that I had eaten bucket loads of sugar.

"No, nothing yet. But I came to tell you that you are welcome to go in the room." She looked back to Uriah's door which was slightly open.

"Oh, thank you." My heart panged that Uriah isn't awake yet.

How come I'm up and walking around (baring in mind that I am pregnant) and Uriah was one of the healthiest boys I knew yet he is on his death bed? How does that work out? We were standing right next to each other, and next to the bomb!

The Nurse left, leaving me to my thoughts.

Go on, get up and see Uriah! I snapped at myself.

I got up and rushed over to the door, pausing and preparing myself if I could bare to see Uriah in his comatose state. Am I ready?

Well, I kind of have to be. I'm going to see Uriah at some point. Whether it's alone or it is with Tris and Christina.

Screw Eric and Four.

I slammed the door open, accidentally taking my anger out on it. Oops.

The room is what I expected it to be: the four walls were white, the floor was clean and crisp like a new piece of paper and there lay was Uriah on the plain white metal bed.

I shivered as cool air wrapped around me. And the fact I hated hospitals. Don't they give you the creeps, even when thinking about them?

Uriah had a bandage wrapped around his head, which was clean from any blood, dirt and rubble from the bombing.

Uriah's body lurching forward flashed through my mind.

I bit my lip, looking around and pulling up a plastic chair to one side of the bed. I took a hold of Uriah's hand. It was warm, yet it felt ice cold by my touch. Gripping it in a manner, I leaned on his bed with both of my hands holding his, brought near to my face.

"I'm sorry." I said, my voice thick as I remember Uriah's smile which stabbed like a knife. "If I had known, you wouldn't even be in this mess."

My words echoed in the room. The room was bare, lacking of furniture which made me want to bring more chairs in. There was only Uriah's bed, this chair and the machines attached to Uriah.

Way to make patients feel at home. Not.

I kissed his hand, my lips were cracked and rough against Uriah's smooth skin. I could still smell that smoky smell from fire and that dirt smell which was bringing me back to something I cannot change.

Only if I knew.

A flicker of movement made the blood pound in my ears.

"Uriah?" I patted his hand lightly, hoping that I would see that flicker of movement that I thought it was."Can you hear me?" The hand that I was hold tensed, as if he could hear me. I smiled. The fingers moved with mine, and I was too busy staring at his hand that I didn't even not his eyes opening.

"Cassie, where am I?" Uriah spoke, croaking as if he hasn't spoke in years.

"You're in the hospital department of the airport." I let out a chuckle."Do you remember what happened?" I cocked my head slightly to one side.

Uriah screwed up his face, shaking his head. "All I remember is talking to you, then nothing. what happened?"

I almost growled, does he really need to know what happened?

"You're hesitant in telling me. Tell me." Uriah begged, pushing himself up into a sitting position.

I bit my lip. "Well, when we were talking, the wall behind us blew up as someone placed a bomb there, amongst other places. Nita wanted to get the death serum to gain power. Now she's in a cast and in prison."

I don't know why I haven't told him about Eric and Four. I think it would put too much stress on him. He doesn't need it.

"And why do I have the feeling that there's something else, Cassie?"

Even though I haven't and don't know Uriah that well, we barely even spoke to each other, but he spoke as if we have been buddies since day one of initiation. 

"Don't worry about it." And he shouldn't worry about it. He doesn't deserve it.

"You didn't answer my question."

I narrowed my eyes playfully. "There's no need to be a Candor."

Uriah smirked. "We aren't in Factions any more. So I don't need to be a Candor."

I smirked. "Seriously, you don't need to worry about it." Silence welcomed us for a few minutes. "Let me go get someone."

I stood up and when I left the room, I ran.

And man, it felt good to be running from nothing.

***

I opened the door gently, tiptoeing towards the bed I knew she sleeps in.

"Tris...." I whispered, my excitement getting the best of me and I shoved Tris, almost shoving her off her bed.

Tris groaned, pushing herself up to a sitting position. "What... Cass?"

"Shh...Get up." I walked to Christina's bed. "Christina, get up." I almost shoved her off of her bed too.

"What's wrong?" Christina groaned as Tris came up behind me and placed a hand on my shoulder.

Even though they probably couldn't see it as it was a bit too dark, I smiled.

"Guess who's awake."