Chapter Thirty.

Chapter Thirty.

Yeah, I almost died a million times over.

"Don't move." Evelyn growled. She towered over Eric, and he was sat on his legs, face down, hands in his lap.

I have never seen him so weak. So helpless.

He looked up, staring hard straight into Evelyn's empty eyes. "I'm telling you the truth, Cassie needs me."

Evelyn threw her head back and cackled. Shivers shot down my spine. "You're just saying that so you can live. Do you really think I believe that some... Outsider, needs you? You are a Dauntless traitor." She spat. "Nobody needs you."

"She does."

Why aren't I stepping in? Stop the fight? Stop Eric from getting killed?

Evelyn moved her gun, and from my position, I can see she was aiming straight for his head.

I stepped out from my hiding place, and slid into the gap between Eric and Evelyn, my back pressed against Eric.

Evelyn pursed her lips, not knowing what to say. She called for guards, and they all surrounded us.

"Evelyn, what are you doing?" Four's voice reached my ears. He pushed his way through the crowd, and stopped dead when he saw me. "Cassie?" He glanced between me and his mother. Then his eyes on the gun.

"Looks like we have another traitor on our hands. And this one hurts a little too close to home." Evelyn told Four. "Protecting another Dauntless traitor just screams traitor."

Eric leaned close, his mouth by my ear as he took hold of both of my hands. I leaned against him.

Four slowly looked at me. "What are you doing?"

I snapped, "I am not a Dauntless traitor. Do you seriously think Jeanine would want me to work for her? She tested on me for Christ's sake."

"Your choice of protecting this monster is because?" Evelyn spoke clearly, she glanced besides her when she saw Tris besides her son.

I bit my lip, should I say it?

If I don't, we die; if we do, anything could happen: killed, imprisonment. Anything.

Eric squeezes my hand, and I turned my head slightly, looking down at our hands. I couldn't say it. I opened my mouth to form the words, but nothing came out.

After all, we've done so well in keeping the father a mystery. Even Jeanine didn't find out through the truth serum.

Eric hadn't breathed a word, neither did I. I did make a promise: I wasn't going to say anything unless Eric said anything.

A promise is a promise.

I let out a breath shakily. For the first time, everyone has seen my walls down. I was afraid. The only other person who has seen my fears was Eric. He didn't question why he was in one of my simulations.

Tris let out an oath. My eyes dart to hers. She didn't seem betrayed. But the look on her face told me she knew. She jerked her chin up slightly at me, assuring me she wasn't leaving anytime soon.

Evelyn, hearing Tris's oath, kept the gun train on Eric and I, but her attention on Tris.

"What is it?" Evelyn hissed.

Tris looked at me, and Eric must have nodded because Tris said: "Cassie is pregnant... With Eric."

Gasps shook the crowd. Why? They shouldn't be surprised, many people knew I was pregnant with Jeanine's schemes.