Groundless

Prologue:

The guy was tall, a giant as a matter of fact, and such was clear to everyone as his head rose well over their's and even the hand rail he was holding onto in the train. In this instance, being some inches beyond 6 feet tall proved to be more of a curse than a blessing since he had to crane his neck in an uncomfortable position just so he wouldn't bang his head every time the cart shook. Not only his stature caught the attention of onlookers but specifically his dashing looks and debonair, sinewy physique.

It was obvious who were the women that frequented this R train. They knew his schedule, they dressed to impress him; Them with their low-cut designer blouses, short skirts, high hooker heels and etc.. Some ladies appeared to be playing hard to get while the others made no attempt to hide their blatant stares. The male passengers either stared at him in hatred and jealousy or amazement and wonder. In any case, none of them did catch the man's attention as they would have liked. If anything, his face was marred with annoyance and aggravation. A deep scowl bent his lips and his eyes, although showing the telltale signs of fatigue such as bags, held a fire in them as he stared out the window into the darkness.

Next stop on 59th street was when he swiftly exited onto the platform, to many of their disappointment. He walked out from underground and took a deep breath of fresh air as soon as he reached the surface. His hands slipped into his pants pockets and he walked around in search of the nearest Starbucks, which wasn't considered much of a hard task in New York-the city filled with go getters and adrenaline junkies. That was all they talked about here, New Yorkers thrived on the establishment.

As he turned the corner from Apple he spotted one that was thankfully not jam-packed. He opened the heavy door with ease and walked to the counter ordering a grande dark roast coffee. He paid the friendly cashier and walked over to the end of the counter to receive his drink. His long legs then proceeded to breeze him through the small group of customers that littered in; the rush, he spoke too soon. He was not pardoned from the occasional bump and "innocent" brush. Seriously, how innocent could it be when it was on his ass?

His aggravation increased tenfold. That's it, this was the limit. I hate New York!

A loud slam and a yelp resounded bringing him back to awareness. A tinge of shock quickly replaced his bad mood once he saw the small splatter of blood smudged on the glass door. The man had just slammed a door into a young girl's face. Ah shit!

The girl laid on the ground nearly unconscious but conscious enough to know that her small nose was gushing blood. She quietly whined and covered the pulsating area with her tiny hand. The girl slowly sat herself up, swaying in the process. She had no idea what happened. One minute she was walking out of FAO Schwarz toy store-that was sadly going to be closing down for good today-and crossing the street over to Starbucks and the next she was sprawled out on the ground in pain.

"Here hold this," someone hurriedly demanded.

"Miss, are you alright?" She heard a deep voice question.

Suddenly she felt herself being lifted up into the air and rested onto her feet. She squinted her eyes open and made out a huge figure standing in front of her. The sight peeled her eyes, actually, yanked them wide. Not only was the man humungous but handsome too.

When the guy kneeled down she realized she didn't even answer him. Apparently, some of her belongings had fell out of her messenger bag. Feeling like a hopeless wreck just blocking the door and bleeding out all over the ground, she bent over and tried to help but he gently pushed her hand away.

"I've got it, miss." He answered respectfully. After a minute he rose with her bag in hand and all of her possessions neatly placed back in it. She took note that he was a good foot and a few inches taller than her. She was already considered a mouse to people of normal height but compared to him she was no bigger than a flea!