Chapter 7

I lead Jared out the door. He said a quick goodbye to my Dad with a handshake and pecked me on the cheek. I raised a finger at him.

"Friendly." He said and walked out the door.

When I closed the door and headed to my room Dad ended up calling out to me to stop, "Tori, what's going on with you and him?" Dad said while laughing so I knew he wasn't upset or anything.

"He's weird like that." I laughed back.

"You guys should really get together."

I shook my head. "I can't."

"Why not?" My Dad asked, already knowing the answer.

"I don't want to hurt him."

Dad nodded. "I know were you're coming from." He tilted his head towards the living room. "Come on, I want to hear about your day."

I agreed to and sat on the couch. My legs crossed and Dad looking at me with one knee resting on the couch.

I told him every thing. Maybe making it obvious that I liked him.

"Wait," Dad stopped me. "You took him bra shopping?"

I nodded my head. "Yeah, Dad. We finished our pretzels and I needed to get some stuff and I allowed him to tag along."

"He must of hated that."

I shook my head. "No, he didn't hate it. He actually enjoyed spending time with me and helping me out."

Dad smirked. "I think somebody likes you."

I sighed, "Dad..." I placed my hands on my forehead.

Dad held his hands up in defeat. "Okay. Forget I mentioned it." Dad put his hands down and put an arm around me. "But I do know he cares for you and treats you with respect. Most guys aren't like that."

I looked up at him and smiled. "He is a really good friend."

Dad smiled back. "He sure is. I'm glad he came around."

I sighed. "Can you promise me something?" I tried to not let this one tear escape my eye for what I was about to tell him.

"What is it?"

I sighed again. "When I die, will you promise to look out for him?"

Dad pulled me into a hug. That stupid tear escaping my eye followed by it's friends. "I promise." He pulled away and looked me in the eyes. "Only if you promise to haunt me every once in awhile."

I choked out a laugh. "Oh, Dad. I love you."

Dad stroked my hair. "I love you too." He said and kissed the top of my head. "I'll look out for him."

I have spent many sleepless nights since I was announced the dying girl. Scared that if I closed my eyes I would never wake up. Even though the doctor said I had time and that when I get close to my date with death that I would know because I would become weaker.

Jared, Jared, Jared.

His name echoing through my head. Why can't I stop thinking about him. I pressed my hands against my head trying to get his name out but it didn't work. So I just let his name hang there in my thoughts.

For the hundredth time, I can't like him, especially love him. I'm already hurting my Dad. I don't want to do the same with the love of my life.

I decided to take some advil because all these thoughts were giving me a headache.

Again, life sucks.