Overview of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy

Hypertropic Cardiomyopathy is a primary disease in the heart (myocardium) in which a portion of the myocardium is hypertrophied (Thickened) without any obvious cause, creating functional impaitment of the cardiac muscle. It's a leading cause of sudden cardiac deathin young athletes. The occurance of HCM is a significant cause of sudden unexpected cardiac death in any age group and as a cause of disabling cardiac symptoms. Younger people are likely to have a more severe form of HCM.

Facts on Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy:

1) Affects muscles in the heart

2) Myocytes (Cardiac Contractile Cells) in the heart increase in size which results of thickening of the heart muscle

3) Most commonly due to a mutation in one of 9 sarcomeric genes that results in a mutated protein in the sarcomere

4) Affects approximately 30,000 children in the U.S. if all forms are considered.

5) HCM can also cause the heart to become stiff, thereby making it difficult for the heart to relax and refill with fresh blood between beats

BEN BREEDLOVE (HCM VICTIM):

Ben was a voice to Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy victims. Ben was very athletic even though it's best that if you have HCM not to get involved with sports. He first shared his story on his YouTube channel. The video titled This Is My Story. The video is broken up into two parts and throughout the videos he shares his experiences from HCM and his near death experiences. The last time he cheated death, he found himself inbetween heaven and life. He discribed himself in a white room with a giant desk. He discribed himself as wearing a white suit and there with him was his favorite rapper, Kid Cudi who was wearing a similar suit. The music that was briefly in the backgroud of the white room was Mr. Rager by Kid Cudi. He remembered hearing the lyrics When will the fantasy end, when will the heaven begin.

Ben didn't know why he didn't die that time. He was okay with dying knowing he was going to a good place. Just one week after the experience that happened on December 11th, 2011 he decided to make a video using just flashcards to tell his story after being inspired by Kieran Miles to make a video with just flashcards. The video was posted up on YouTube on December 18, 2011, only one week after his last near death experience. Part one of the video getting over 8,000,000 views, his voice was heard all over the world.

But, sadly he passed away one week after posting the video on December 25, 2011, when he fainted in his yard, playing with his new GoPro camera with his brother, Jake, that he got for Christmas. His family was just hanging out inside when all of a sudden Jake runs in saying that somethings wrong with Ben.

He was rushed to the hospital where he died from Cardiac Arrest later that evening.

After he passed away, that was when his family came across his videos. They where so surprised that he did this and showed their family and friends the video. Ben is remembered as an outgoing kid who only got 18 years but should've gotten more.

His sister, Ally, in 2013 introduced the release of her book called When Will The Heaven Begin: The Ben Breedlove Story. The book explains the details of his life to when he was first diagnosed to when he died. The book goes through the years and all the adventures he's gone on. It explains the time when they put in the pacemaker and the morning of the Christmas. Explaining the aftermath of his death. The book is proven a reminder of how special Ben was and how he insired millions of people.

This book is dedicated in loving memory of Ben Breedlove. Above this overview is part one of Ben's story from his YouTube channel. Part two will be on chapter two. So let's all applaud to Ben on his courage and faith.

I suggest you all read the book, When Will The Heaven Begin: The Ben Breedlove Story by Ally Breedlove. The book I would give five stars to. When I first heard about Ben was a couple months after his death when my sister came up to me and told me to watch his video. She later announced what she read in the comments that he died a few months earlier and since then I have looked up to him and really listened to the words he wrote on the flashcards. Because of his video I see him as a friend. Someone to inspire me. Someone I can look up to when I'm down.

So, I strongly suggest you guys read the book.

"Do you believe in angels or God? I do."
-Ben Breedlove

CALEB LOGAN BRAYTAYLEY (UNDIANOSED HCM VICTIM):

Caleb Logan was a 13-year-old YouTube star who was apart of the YouTube family, Braytayley. He unexpectically passed away early in October 2015. It has just been revealed recently (Nov. 10th, 2015) that he was undianosed with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. He was a happy kid. He seemed perfectly healthy and didn't show any signs of having Hypertropic Cardiomyopathy. If you watch their first video after Caleb died, it shows him and his family on trips and him playing Baseball about five days before his death. The heart condition went undetected in his yearly checkups. The doctors said there was nothing they could've done differently because he showed no symptoms. His little sisters both recently had their hearts checked out. Their hearts, thankfully, look the way they should. We all keep the family in our prayers as they are dealing with his passing. They continue to make videos but they will always think about Caleb as they make them. This is their description in their recent videos since his death: We have decided to continue making videos for now. We will continue to grieve and miss Caleb everyday but we will not show it in the videos often. We have decided to honor him and continue this channel as it was intended, to be a celebration of life. Thank you to all the people that have supported us in this difficult time.  

When I first heard Caleb died from an undianosed disease, I got to wondering, life is a gift and can be taken from us at any moment. When I see their videos when Caleb was still here I think that this young boy and his family didn't know they had a limited amount of time with eachother. This makes me think that this can happen to anyone. So, I suggest getting regular checkups. If your family has a history with a disease then talk to a doctor. Try to get your heart checked out at least once a year just to be safe. This saddens me that life is a wonderful gift and even the people who seem the healthiest can be taken from us at any moment.

Please keep the family in your prayers and support them through this difficult time. Subscribe to them and show your support. YouTube name is Braytayley. Other Social Medias go by the same name. 

R.I.P Caleb Logan. You will never be forgotten. We all love you.