Chapter 2

Ever since the news that I was going to die, I have been depressed. My Dad was upset but not depressed. He tried to talk to me but all I wanted to do was sit in my room and read. I pretty much read one book the entire time, The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. I don't know why but I felt connected to it. Even though I didn't have cancer I still knew were his words where coming from. I think we all die of something. Mine just happened to be Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. I hate that I was diagnosed with it. Usually it's genetic and I'm still trying to find out which relative I got it from. No one I know in my immediate family had it, so I figured it must of came from a relative that has passed on years ago.

About a week of staying in my room and reading the book a second time that week, my Dad came into my room without knocking and snatched the book out of my hands and put the bookmark on the page I was on before placing it at the end of my bed.

"Look," started Dad, "you need to make the most out of your life right now. You won't have many chances to do the things you want to do."

"Don't worry, Dad. I made a list."

He smiled. "Good girl." He walked over to my window and pulled back the blinds that I have kept closed the passed week. "And let some light in here."

"Dad, I like it dark."

"The dark is not going to make you feel any better." He stared out the window. "Huh."

I looked at him. "What, Dad?"

He continued staring. "Looks like some new neighbors are moving in down the street." He smiled and turned to me. "You better not rub that depressed attitude on them, Tori." He kissed my head and then headed out of my room, closing the door behind him.

After he left I just layed on my bed thinking and being all depressed. Depression is a side effect of dying. Most people don't realize that. They blame the drugs that we have to take or the disease in general.

After awhile of depression and complete boredom, I decided to call up Alison and Madeline. I didn't tell them on the phone that I was dying I just told them to come over.

They came straight to my bedroom when they arrived. Immediately jumping next to me.

"How you feeling?" Alison asked.

"Yeah, your Dad told us you had a doctor's appointment last week." Said Madeline.

I just shrugged. Only half listening to what they where saying.

"Something's wrong." Said Alison as she scooted closer to me. "What is it, Tori?"

I sucked my lips in trying to keep from crying but the tears filled my eyes fast and I immediately lost it.

"Oh my God, what is it? What's wrong?" Madeline tried to sooth me.

I wiped the tears away and looked at them, "I-I'm,"

"You can tell us." Alison said.

A tear dropped from my eye and down my cheek. "I-I'm d-dying." I finally got the word out of my mouth.

Both my friends brought a hand to their mouths and I could tell they where on the verge of crying too.

Madeline shook her head. "No you're not."

I nodded.

"It must be a mistake." Informed Alison.

I shook my head. "It's no mistake. The doctor ran test and my heart is just getting worst. He said if I keep taking the medication it will only allow me to live a year."

Now I could see the tears start to form in their eyes. They both tried to hold them back but after a moment they just lost it. They weren't crying out loud but they were sobbing quietly, wiping tears every so often.