“Because I was waiting for you.” He said like it was completely obvious to me. “So hurry and get ready.”

“What makes you think I would go anywhere with you?” I questioned.

Everett stood directly behind me, I could just feel him. “Because right now, you don‘t know what to do with yourself.” He was right, I guess. “And well, Luke isn‘t here,” I felt myself freeze. “but I am.” He said it as if it was funny.

It all happened so fast. I just felt my hand stinging. “Oh my god.” My burning hand went straight to cover my mouth. “I‘m sorry.”

My hand flew up connecting to his cheek like an instinct. He stood there staring at me, his eyes slightly wide. “Uh, ouch.”

“I‘m so sorry.” I forced out through my laughter. His facial expression was killing me, he looked like a little puppy with a sad face getting disciplined.

“There was no need to slap, I was just joking.” he pouted slightly.

“Oh stop.” I pinched one of his cheeks. “I have to go get ready if you still want me to go.” I turned, ready to go up the stairs.

He gentled grabbed my right wrist turning me around again. “How about a real sorry first?” He asked still rubbing his stinging cheek.

I chuckled. “It was a reaction. I really am sorry.”

Smirking, he was satisfied. “Better.” I slid my wrist out of his grip. “Now, hurry then madam.” he pointed to the stairs.

“I‘ll be on my way sir.” I nodded my head.

I knew something was coming, so on reflex when I took my first few step at the same time I sidestepped. And yep, was I right.

“Someone‘s getting smart.” he threw back his head laughing.

“No more swats to this ass.” I wagged my finger back and forth while making my way up the stairs. “Unless you want another slap to your face.” I joked.

~

I settled for a pale brown floral dress which ended mid thighs, a skinny black belt around my waist, and I have no idea why, but I put on my black high heels. I prayed a little that I didn’t trip anywhere, fall down the stairs, or break my ankles. If anything I was prone to hurting myself in heels.

Sighing, not because of the heels, but because this damn house was way too big. Not even exaggerating I bet it’s close to a mile to the front door.

A mile later, totally not even kidding. Bad choice to wear heels. Everett was already ready, settling for tan khaki shorts, and a burgundy v-neck t-shirt. So simple, yet he looked so devilishly good.

“Looks like you‘re ready to go.” He fished for his keys in his pocket. “And I‘m not.” He checked his other pocket then his back.

“We can take my car?” I offered.

“As long as I get to drive.” he sighed, obviously frustrated sort of. Or maybe he was nervous, but why would he be? I’m going with frustrated.

I face palmed. “We actually can‘t take my car.”

He looked up at me puzzled. ”Why not?”

“I came with Luke.” I sighed.

I could tell he was trying to hold in his laugh. “Nice, Michelle.” he joked, gently flicking my forehead.

“Sorry.” I sheepishly laughed rubbing the back of my neck.

“So..” He scratched the back of his head. “Want to help me find my keys?” he turned his attention to me with one of his eyebrows raised.