‘What the hell was that?’ That dream felt so real, so vivid like. Or should I say nightmare? Yeah, I’ll go with nightmare.

I looked to my left to see the bed was neatly made. Where are they? Natalie was always with me, and I felt a little panic-y not knowing where she was. I threw off the sheets, and headed out the bedroom, not caring how I looked, i hurried down the halls, and down the stairs.

I heard the tv in the living room was on, and headed in that direction first. Everett was casually laying down on the couch watching who knows what.

“Where is she?”  Panic flowed through my voice. That came out louder than it should have. I shielded my face from the morning sun. Lord, it was way too bright right now, only because he had all the curtains open.

Startling him by accident he shot up dropping the remote in the process. “My god.” He gasped clutching his chest.

Using my quick wits, I finally managed to come back with a comeback that I felt was just great. “What?” I propped one of my hands on my hip. “Are you trying to say I don’t look beautiful in the morning?”

He stuttered, actually taking me seriously. “N-no.” he sighed softly. “Just give a guy a warning next time, I didn‘t even hear you coming.”

I felt like I had power for a few seconds. Go me. “Where’s Natalie?” I looked around the room quickly, finally coming to conclusion that she wasn’t here.

Sighing when he figured out I was joking around, he answered. “She’s out getting ice cream.” He relaxed back into the couch.

“Riley, and Miles?”

“With my parents too.” He shrugged.

“My mom?” I almost forgot about her.

“I think she‘s with them also.”

Thanks for the invite everyone.

I didn’t know what to do with myself at the point. I usually have Natalie with me all the time, it just felt kind of awkward without her.  I subconsciously started chewing on my thumb, while looking out the window blankly.

“Come over here.”

“Hmm?”

“You looked so..” He trailed off but started again. “Would stressed be the word?” He chuckled slightly.

“Sort of.” I folded my arms in front of me. “I just.. a lot has happened. To you, and me over the past few days. I’m just thinking if it was a mistake coming here.”

“It wasn-”

“Wasn’t. I know.” I stared back out the window at the ground doves, searching the grass for morning bugs to eat. “In a way, I’m extremely glad we came, and that Natalie gets to spend time with her grandparents. In another way..” I trailed off, hoping he would get my point.

He let out a big sigh, and leaned his head back on the back of the couch. “Sometimes things happen for a reason.”

“Sure.” I nodded. The doves maneuvered around the fresh grass. I wonder what they found so far?

I heard him shift. “Alright, go get ready.” He stood up and stretched, showing off some of his abdomen as his shirt lifted.

“For what?”  I shifted my gaze from the doves to him. My eyes trailed down to the part of his stomach that was showing. Shifting my gaze back to the doves when I noticed he saw me staring.

“We’re going for ice cream. I’ve been wanting some.” He laughed.

I laughed through my nose. “Why didn’t you just go with them for ice cream then?”