Breakdown Sandwich: Chapter Thirty-Nine

Start from the beginning

"So, you admit it."

"What?"

"You killed that woman."

"Is that what you think?"

They stood opposed saying nothing. Not one vehicle passed. Sparse traffic was normal this time of year but Tonya would have felt safer with witnesses. At last she said: "I'm trying to understand why you need me in Toronto."

"For your protection. If you go back to campus, you'll get infected."

"How do you know I'm not already?"

"You didn't eat the sandwich."

"Sure I did."

"At the farm house."

"Why did you attack that woman?"

"I have enemies."

"You brought me into that lady's house and killed her while I was sitting in her living room!"

"Clearly not, if you were watching me."

"What if I do trust you had your reasons, and I agree to go with you?" Tonya watched her Aunt's face, but there was no reaction. "Use your magic to fix the tire and we can leave. It's freezing out here and I need to pee."

"You're not hungry anymore?"

"We ate lunch at 4:30."

"I'll call the Auto Club."

Tire rubber was a natural substance made from trees, thought Tonya. "Can't you cure it with a charm?"

Her Aunt shook her head.

"I thought healing was your specialty."

"I'm not a miracle worker."

Apparently she couldn't influence people over the phone either. Tonya overhead her Aunt reluctantly agree to an Auto Club membership before they would send a tow truck.

Her Aunt lay back on the hood of the car, staring up at the sky. The cold clear day was transforming into a frigid, starry night. Tonya joined her, partly to make sure the sick old lady didn't fall asleep.

"I'm really sorry about this," Tonya said for the fifth time. They were still lying side-by-side, talking about the rising moon, when the bright lights of a yellow sports car crested the road behind them. The hard top was down and the stereo blasted Edgar Winter's Frankenstein, theme song of the Digital Ninjas.

Tonya leaped to her feet. "Ducky!"

The Mazda blurred by so fast Zain had to screech the brakes, then reverse back. He squeaked it to a stop beside Tonya and her Aunt.

Ducky opened his door wide. "Get in!"

"I can't," said Tonya. "My Aunt's sick and alone out here."

Ducky stepped close and whispered in her ear: "You said she kidnapped you. Leave her and let's go."

"What if the tow truck takes another hour? It's getting dark. We're in the middle of nowhere."

Ducky shrugged. "I don't understand you."

"What if the tow truck driver got lost?"

Behind Ducky, Zain revved the engine. "Let's go!"

Tonya went back to her Aunt and touched her shoulder. "Wake up." She was slow to rouse, but didn't seem confused, so at least the old lady didn't have hypothermia. "I'm leaving with Zain and Ducky. Come with us," she told her Aunt.

"What?" Ducky's eyebrows reached for the stars, his jaw dropped, and his hands shot out in the starfish pose.

"I can't leave until the tow truck arrives," said Aunt Helene. "Why don't you kids wait with me? I love to meet my niece's friends."

Ducky crossed his arms. "We can't stay."

Tonya couldn't tell if Aunt Helene used her powers of persuasion but Zain got out of the car and whispered something in his friend's ear.

Ducky's arms relaxed and his head dropped to his chest. He strode to Aunt Helene and offered her his hand. "It's good to finally meet you." Ducky helped Aunt Helene off the car hood and said: "Can you believe that moon?

 ********

This is the draft version of Feeding Frenzy. Want to read the entire finished version right now? Read it for free on Ream. https://reamstories.com/maaja

Or visit https://www.maajawentz.com/ for more novels and stories.

Thanks for reading!

Maaja