Chapter 16 - The Killing Joke

"How was talking to Zachary, by the way?" I inquired.

"He's an arrogant jerk." Bruce huffs,"He apologized and promised not to do it again. Can you go check on Wally West today? I want to make sure he plans on keeping quiet."

"Sure. I'll stop by right now since I have today off. I'll stop by Wayne Enterprises after to discuss Raymond Palmer with you."

"Alright. Have a good day, Barbara."

I smile and wish him the best of luck. I zeta into a telephone booth and catch a cab to Star City PD. I flash my police badge and duck through officers to find the garage. Wally works as a mechanic on police cars and absolutely loves it. Anyways, Wally is crouched down underneath a car in a bright blue jump suit.

"Wally?"

"Barbara!" Wally cries and he slides out from underneath the car and runs toward me to greet me with a hug. I swipe the oil off his jumpsuit before complying. 

"What are you doing here?" He inquires.

"My mentor wanted me to come make sure you're all right. It also gave me a good excuse to come talk to a friend so I obliged."

"Are you alright? I'm fine, I mean, I think it's great I get to know!"

"I'm fine. With Dick away, it has been kind of hard, but I know he's in a better place." I respond.

Wally chuckles. "You make it sound like he's dead. Well, I'm good, everything's good, but I'm actually on a time-crunch right now-"

"I'll call before I drop by next time then, busy man. Text me if you ever need any help over here."

_____

I stop by my house for the first time in a while. The idea of being alone has been so uninviting this past week since Dick has left. I had some work I needed to pick up before returning to the Batcave. I grab the manila folder from my kitchen island and turn around to exit. I raise an eyebrow as I notice that the door is left ajar. Maniacal laughter echoes throughout the room.

"Barbara Gordon! At last, we meet again. I wanted to stop by and see how you're doing. Do you want to hear a joke?" Behind me stands the Joker. His green hair slicked back with gel, and his white face paint crumbling from hardships. In his hand was a prop-gun, colored a metallic gold. 

"Get out of my apartment!" I growl. 

"Awww, why so serious? Are you ready? There were two guys in a lunatic asylum and one night, they decide they don't like living in an asylum any more. They decide they're going to escape! So, like, they get up onto the roof and there, just across this narrow gap, they see the rooftops of the town, stretching away in the moonlight... stretching away to freedom. Now, the first guy, he jumps right across with no problem. But his friend, his friend daredn't make the leap. Y'see... Y'see, he's afraid of falling. 

So then, the first guy has an idea... He says 'Hey! I have my flashlight with me! I'll shine it across the gap between the buildings. You can walk along the beam and join me!'

B-BUt the second guy just shake his head. He suh-says... He says 'Wh-What do you think I am? Crazy? You'd turn it off when I was half way across!"

The Joker bursts out in fits of giggles. His face falls solemn. " Why aren't you laughing?" He sneers.

I bite my lip and take a step backwards.

"You cops are no fun!" He grumbles. 

With his gun aimed at me, he murmurs, "One bad day can cause anyone to go insane. What do you think will become of your father when he finds his daughter dead in her apartment?"

My eyes widen and I lurch to the side as the gun goes off. My back erupts into unfathomable pain. I close my eyes and stop my breathing. The Joker's laughter rings in my ears as he skips out of my room. The instance he leaves I begin heavy breathing. I hear my phone ringing on the kitchen island. I grab the leg of a stool and swing it at the table. My legs feel numb and I have to drag myself over to catch my phone before it lands in a pool of blood. I click the answer button and shove it to my head.

A chipper voice calls, "Barbara Gordon! It's Ray-"

 I'm able to respond two words.

"Call 911."

END OF BOOK 1.