Chapter 11- Party Crasher

My heart is beating a million times a minute and I suddenly become aware that I am dangling over the ledge. Dick's hands remain on my waist and steady me as the wind rocks me back and forth. "Barbara?" Dick whispers.

I open my mouth to respond but I get rudely interrupted. The doors to the balcony crack slightly as a huge chunk of ice latches onto them. The door is frozen over. Dick lifts me off the railing and next to the door. We peer through. I notice a large man with a glass around his face pacing around the precinct. 

Mr. Freeze.

Dick pulls a grapple out of his pocket and shoots it towards the sky. He grabs me and together we sail up. Once we reach the roof, I reach into my purse and pull out of my suit. Dick does the same. He throws off his shirt, giving me a moment to stare at him.

Dick notices and chuckles. "Can we be for professional for tonight, Babs?"

I roll my eyes. "I'm always professional. Don't watch me while I change, Grayson."

He turns around and finishes changing. I slide my dress down and throw my suit on over. Even though Bruce doesn't let me go out into the field, I still like to bring my suit everywhere I go. 

"Ready?" Nightwing inquires. 

"Ready." 

I leap off of the roof and grapple down to the ground. 

"You go in stealth. I'll go in from the front. Batman will probably already be in there." Nightwing speaks into my earpiece.

I nod and rush towards one of the windows that leads to the copy room. I scale the wall and tug myself through the window. I press my ear against the door, knowing that the copy room branches off from the main lobby. Footsteps are pacing up and down the corridor. Gunshots ring throughout the building and I know that Nightwing has now been spotted. I slip out of the room and slink against the door. I get a quick glimpse of the hostages tied up around the copy room. They're all kneeling on the ground. Some of them have watches and jewelry in their hands while the others are sobbing. Bruce has a gun placed against his head and Tim sits next to him. Bruce's eyes meet mine for the split second that I race towards the air duct. I wait until another series of gunshots go off before throwing open the shaft. I close it up and weld it shut. Hurriedly, I crawl around the lobby and to the vent right above Bruce and Tim. He's rambling on to his men before turning to Bruce.

"Mr. Wayne." Mr. Freeze commands.

Bruce gulps and Tim lets out a small whimper. Nightwing is slumped against the far wall. His eyes are open and they flutter up and down a few times. He's really bruised up. I pull out some knock-out gas. I place an oxygen mask on my head. I kick open the grate. Mr. Freeze turns around but he's too late. The knock-out gas fills the room within seconds. During the pandemonium, I race through the ducts to a vent close to Nightwing. I drop down and grab his oxygen mask out of his utility belt and shove it in his mouth.

"Let's go!" I whisper into his ear before slapping his cheek.

He groans as I pull him up. Together, we slink around the perimeter of the room. Batman meets us with a sleeping Robin in his arms. I shove Robin into an air duct before slipping an oxygen mask over his face. I slap his cheeks gently and weld the duct on. 

"What a nice trick. That won't stop me from killing all of these people, though." Mr. Freeze's voice metallic voice rings through the room. Nightwing grabs my hand and pulls me the opposite direction that Batman is going. 

Nightwing pulls out his Batarang and hands it to me. Doing the same but keeping it for himself, we through them towards the voice. We hear a vibrant ding, and a small yell. Batman switches on the fans and the gas is whisked into the ceiling. Batman heads over to Mr. Freeze and places some tape over the crack. The villain wheezes for breath as Batman takes Mr. Freeze's guns and removes his head from the suit.

Robin slips out of the air ducts. "I called the police." He alerts us.

I give the boy a smile and we get to work tying up all of the goons. The police arrive after a while. With most of them being at the gala, the rest are spread out throughout town. Nightwing and I take the elevator up to the roof and grab out clothes to change. We return downstairs to find Batman breaking the ice on the balcony door. Dick and I smile, knowing that he is creating an alibi for us. 

Tim gets changed and Bruce does as well. They return and the two of them slump down next to some of the other members. Dick and I sit on the stairs and begin talking. With everything done, and our adrenaline dwindling. We both crash. 

"So- about what I said on the balcony-" He stutters.
I bite my lip and wait for him to continue.

"I really meant it. You mean a lot to me, Barbra. We technically don't work together anymore... Basically, what I'm asking... Wow, this is overwhelming..."

"Wow, you actually used the word overwhelming! I'm impressed, Grayson. You've been boycotting that word since you were a kid."

Dick chuckles. "If I said I found this all whelming, you would be insulted."

I shrug and he laughs again. Dick grips my hand and intertwines our fingers. I stare at our fingers for a while before Dick uses his other hand to raise my chin. My heart beat picks up as he stares at me. The way he looks at me... It's as if I am the only girl in the entire world. 

"I love you too."