Chapter 10 - To Barbra Gordon!

1 WEEK LATER

"How does it feel to finally be reunited with your Father?"

I've been seeing my father a ton for the last week since he was taken care of in the Batcave. He felt traumatized and I wanted him to be with people he trusted. Plus, there was no risk of him being taken away again. Now, today was the day that we were going to the press.

"I am overjoyed!" I announce with glee.

Flashing cameras fill my sight line as I do my best to smile and not squint. They slowly subdue, and I head along with my father down the street and towards the new police station. Dick greeted me on my way and walked inside with me. These past few days he had been extra attentive with me. He even invited me to come patrol with him in Bludhaven since Bruce won't let me out into the field, but I turned him down. Gotham is where my heart it.

Slowly, Dick and I enter the building. Dad is in a wheelchair surrounded by some of his buddies. I grin before glancing down at the food. My mouth literally begins to water. Dick chuckles and leaves me to go grab food. Since no one is eating yet, he knows how awkward I would be going up to get some.

I grab two champagne flutes off of a waiter and hand them to him as he rejoins me. He places the food at a nearby table. He lifts his drink up.

"To Barbra Gordon."
I blush and glance down at my drink.

"To Barbra Gordon!" Bruce calls as he saunters over with Tim who is carrying a box of apple juice.

My cheeks turn a crimson shade of red but I smile anyways. Bruce pushes Tim forward and he gives me a quick, awkward hug. I scruff Tim's hair and he laughs. We all drink and laugh and it's fun.

I excuse myself from the Waynes to speak with Dad. He's talking with Harvey, probably about a case. Dad's always talking about work with Harvey. They never have time to talk to two guys. Two, average Joe's who are tired of their work and just want some coffee and donuts and to relax.

"Hi Dad, Harvey." I give them each a sweet smile.

Harvey shakes my hand and gives me the nicest smile in the entire world.

"Today is a good day, Barbara," Dad states, grabbing my hand and squeezing it.

I nod my head and grab him and Harvey some champagne. I can tell they need it. Graciously, they accept. I hear the band beginning to play a slow song so I excuse myself to go find Dick.

Dick is standing off to the side, staring at me. His eyes are lively and playful as they meet my own. As I walk towards him, he walks towards me. We meet halfway and he lightly grabs my hand, moving to the middle of the room. Everyone is dancing so gracefully, while I have trouble not trampling Dick's feet. I glance over and spot Selina dancing with Bruce. I didn't know that they knew each other, or that she was even here. I loosen my grip of Dick, intrigued to know why she is here but he pulls me back. Closer this time.

"Where do you think you are going?" He jokes, moving his hand to the small of my back.

I laugh and move my arms around his neck. My eyes roll up his body and instead of answering we just stare at each other.

"You weren't traveling abroad this summer, were you?"

Dick bites his lip and shakes his head. "I moved to Bludhaven. I'm sorry I lied to you, Babs. That ruined our relationship. It was one of the hardest things I had to do."

"You never called me or texted and-"

"I know." I can tell by the way his eyebrows burrow and the sadness that darkens his eyes how truly sorry he is.

I still had no clue what we were. Since my Dad came back we never really had a chance to talk about what happened, and what it meant for our friendship. We never even talked about our kiss. In that moment, I was so frustrated with the confusion of him and dating and life. I just leaned up and kissed him.

And he didn't do anything.

He just stood there.

I pull away and watched his eyes. They shift to the floor instead of to me.

"Whatever." I murmur. 

I lumber over to the balcony as soon as the dance is done. I stand there alone. I thought kissing him would cement whatever we have, or had I guess.

"Babs." 

Behind me, stood Grayson.The white linen curtains billow behind him. He looks like an angel. His dark hair is ruffled and his tie is loose.

"Dick-"

Before I can speak anymore he rushes forward and places his lips on top of mine. They're warm and soft. His scent lingers as do his lips. He wants to know if he can kiss me again. I close the gap between us. His arms snake around me and my hands move to his chest. Dick backs me up until I'm pressed tightly against the railing.

"Don't drop me," I whisper quietly onto his lips.

He laughs and gently bites my lip before placing kisses up my cheek then down my neck. As he finds his way back to my mouth I slowly pull away.

"Why didn't you kiss me before?"

Dick sighs and places our foreheads together. "I realized in that moment that I'm in love with my best friend. "