Chapter 4 - Wayne Enterprise's Gala

"What?"

"I need to go- well, you need to get off of here too! " He exclaimed. "I'll go help Batman find him. Just stay in your home and I'll stop by later!"

Quickly, he brings me back to my apartment, but it all seems like a blur. Tears form in my eyes as I think about my Dad. How could he be gone? Nightwing disappeared into the night and I drowned myself in ice cream and sleep....

I wake up the next morning with this tacky feeling on my cheeks. I cried myself to sleep. I get dressed into something clean: my Nike shorts with a Pom T-shirt from junior high.

I make myself a coffee on the way out, slipping on some Adidas flip flops. My hair is in a tight bun on the top of my head with a few curly strands hanging low. Just as I begin my walk into the community garage; I get a text from Dick.

"Sorry to hear about your Dad. I'll come pick you up."

Dad.... His name triggered something within me and I began to cry again. All I ever felt like doing seemed to be crying, but it was the only thing I could do.

Dick's Ferrari zipped into the parking structure a few minutes later. Hurriedly, I wiped the tears from my cheeks and let a small smile out.

"I know you have a lot of pain right now. But I wanted to ask in person, would you like to go with me to the Wayne Enterprise Gala... you know, as my date?"

I could imagine nothing worse than going to a party, but I couldn't resist going as his date. And who knows, maybe it would get my mind off of my Dad.

"Sure."

Dick picks me up at six, and together we drive over to Wayne Enterprises. Bright lights light up the sky, circling its dark abyss. Loud, lethargic music pounds outside, echoing the quartet playing within the office building's brilliant lobby.

"I didn't think you could get prettier." Dick murmured into my ear.

Something about the tone of his voice made my cheeks flush. Dick had flirted with me before, but always jokingly. Now, it seemed serious.

"You look good too," I commented before I could take it back.

Dick noticed my awkwardness and let out a low laugh. It was like he could read my mind.

Dick rolls into the valet's corner and we hop out. Dick offers me his hand and I accept. His palms are warm and envelope my own.

"Barbara!" A cheerful voice calls.

Before me stands my red-headed brotherin, Wally West.

"Why are you here?" I inquired joyfully as I ran to give him an inviting hug.

Wally hugs back and responds, "I happened to be in town and to have an invite so I came! I don't know why I got an invite but I did. Maybe since Iris works for that huge newspaper!"

Wally and I pull apart. Dick stands back with an angry look plastered on his face. Is he jealous?

"Wally, is it? I'm Dick Grayson." Dick extends his hand to Wally and they shake.

Wally responded, "Bruce Wayne's son?"

"He's more of my ward." Dick clarifies. 

"Man! That is so cool!"

I glance at Dick whose face is contorted.  "I'm going to go find my father. I'll let you two catch up." He announced hesitantly.

I give him a sweet smile as he begins to wander through the crowds.

"So..." Wally states, scratching his head of red hair.

"How are you?"

"Good! I was actually meaning to talk to you."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah," He twiddles his fingers."Do you want to go get a drink?" He inquires nervously.

"Sure!"

 We eventually find a very well-dressed man carrying champagne. Wally grabs two, handing one of the flutes to me. I take a sip. The bubble sends a rush through my spine. I'm not acute to drinking alcohol, but this champagne tastes amazing!

Mr. Wayne steps up onto the top of the stairwell which looks over the party.  As usual, he looks dapper with his slicked back hair. A handful of models wait from where he once stood. 

Wally grabs my hand and drags me closer towards the stairs. My heart pounds as he grabs my hand. I don't want him to grab my hand, it doesn't feel as natural as when Dick does it. I notice him, Dick, standing a few feet away with a glass of full champagne in his hand. I release Wally's hand and wipe my hands on my dress. Wally glances down as I wipe my palms and a sense of misjudgment crosses his face.

Bruce's booming voice shouts, "Thank you all for joining us tonight! As you know-"

Bruce is interrupted by a loud beeping noise. He glances down at his watch.

"Oh, please excuse me. Business matters. I'll have my son, Dick Grayson finish us off. Thank you for coming!" A few people chuckle as Bruce saunters up to his office.

Dick wanders up the stairs, angry by Bruce calling him his son. and begins giving details about the fundraiser. At some part of the speech our eyes lock and he begins to smile. I smile back. Wally reaches for my hand but I act like I'm taking a step forward to better hear Dick's speech. I think Dick notices because his smile turns into the biggest, goofiest grin.