Chapter 5 - Pamela Isley

"I need to go congratulate Dick," I announced to Wally.

Wally seemed pained by my words but nodded. "I might be going home early. Goodnight, Barbara."

I smile and gently squeeze his bicep. Decisively, he leaned forward and kissed my cheek. I blushed slightly by his actions but felt no butterflies as I did with Nightwing. Someone whose real name I didn't even know. Wally wandered away, leaving me alone until Dick arrived.

"Your speech was amazing!" I announced before flinging my arms around his neck.

Dick chuckled before returning the hug. "I'm glad you feel that way." I pulled away slightly so that I could see his glowing face. 

"I'm so proud of you-"

Before I can finish my, though, Dick closes the gap between us. His lips hit a mine and at first, I'm caught off guard. His lips are soft, and his hands reassure me as he traces circles on my waist. I slowly kiss him back, until I start thinking. Why am I kissing Dick? I might have a teensy crush on him, but the only person I've felt true feelings with is Nightwing. However crazy that sounds it's true.

Quickly, I rip away from him. He seems taken aback by my reaction.

"I'm sorry." I chirp.

"No, I shouldn't have-"

"No, I-"

A light dinging noise echoes from his wrist interrupts us. Worriedly, Dick checks the time on his watch before glancing back at me. "I have to go. I'm sorry." He murmurs before bolting out of the gala.

In my alone state, I end up wandering up towards the architecture floor. I take myself on a tour and end up going inside a room with a 3D printer. I glance at a nearby computer and sit myself down. I stare at the design page. I glance up at the side of the screen to find a missing sign. For my Dad.

"Batman and Nightwing say they want to help but they can't find him. I feel like nobody will."

I glance back at the design board and grin. "Except me. I will find Dad if my life depends on it."

I upload a picture of the bat-suit and reprogram it to fit my body. I change up the fabric and redesign the logo a bit so it's more vibrant. The belt is less heavy and everything else is skin-tight.

"Print," I whispered to myself as I press the final button.

I stuff the suit underneath my dress and hurriedly make my way down the stairs and out the door. Boo-yah! I'm coming for you Dad.

The next morning is a good one. I start by running five miles. Determination races through my blood as I set a new record for myself. 

After that, I grab a coffee from the work room and head to my new temporary desk.  The police department has moved two blocks from the dismantled one in a small office building.It's not as familiar as the old place, but it is growing on me.

At my desk, I notice a fellow redhead leaning against the door to the temporary office.

"Pamela Isley! My favorite botanist. What did you bring today?" I inquired.

"I brought a present." She hands me a potted plant filled with a beautiful plant. Its emerald leaves match the color of her sparkling eyes perfectly.

"I love it!... What is it?"

She chuckles and shifts, awkwardly gazing at me. "Ivy. It's not usually a plant you give to a person but it's one of my favorites and I thought you would like it!"