Chapter 13 - Zachary Zatara

"Barbara!" The magician yells as he zeta's in.

 His black hair is slicked to the side and his brown eyes are bright with wonder, and his suit is buttoned up to his neck. Nightwing wanders into the room as Zachary heads over to hug me.

"You two know each other?" Nightwing inquires.

"Yeah." I nod. Nightwing shoots me an annoyed look.

Zach leans against one of the desks are stares at the two of us. "Are you guys an item or what?"

I bite my lip and glance over at Nightwing. He nods his head. I turn back to Zachary who is nodding his head. "I see..." He murmurs knowingly. 

"What brings you here,  Zach?" I inquire.

He smirks and takes a seat on my desk. "My cousin is coming over to Gotham for a few days. She's a traveling illusionist, you know. Since my leave of absence from the GCPD; I was hoping that you could show her around. You can even bring lover boy with you. Deal?"

I roll my eyes. "Why can't you stay and show her around? I'm glad to, but that doesn't excuse you ducking away from your responsibilities."

Zachary rolls his eyes. "I have better things to do. She knows I dated you and won't question you touring her around."

I can hear Nightwing awkwardly shifting which causes my face to heat up. "Alright, when will I meet her?" I ask.

"Tomorrow at the Starbucks across from your apartment." Zach turns towards Nightwing and asks, "She is considering stopping off to talk to the kids at Young Justice so can you make sure she has a bed to sleep in, Nightwing?"

"Sure, whatever," Nightwing grumbles.

"Alright! Thanks! Bye Ginger, talk to you soon?"

Zachary backs up into the zeta and sends me a farewell wink before evaporating into the glowing light. I whip my mask off and run a hand through my hair. I catch Nightwing staring at me. I sigh and put my mask back on. "I should go patrol."

-----------------

It's hard to wake up. I rub my eyes and let out a small growl. I pound my alarm clock and cuss at it to shut up. I wander over to my closet and toss on a t-shirt, high-waisted jean shorts, and a flannel. I also place on my glasses since I'm too tired for contacts. I dab on some makeup and barrel out the door; already five minutes late.

I j-walk without a care and sprint into the store. I glance around before finding a tall, black haired beauty with killer blue eyes. She's seated at a table sipping an iced tea. I take the time to notice her perfect posture and adorable outfit; a cropped white tank top paired with black and white floral shorts. Her ebony hair flows to her waist, matching her dark eyes. I make my way over to her, careful not to trip or embarrass myself.

"Hey! Zatanna, right? I'm Barbara. You look so much like your cousin."

Zatanna smiles and pushes a green tea frappuccino in front of me; my signature drink. I raise my eyebrow, about to ask how she knew when: "World renowned magician, remember? It's nice to meet you, Barbra. I'll be honest, Zachary didn't tell me much about what you looked like other than you are 'smoking hot'. "

I nervously laugh and readjust my glasses. "That's Zach for you. Do you have anything in the city that you want to see?"

Zatanna leans forward a bit. "You know Wayne's right?"

I nod. "I worked in Wayne Enterprises during college and I'm dating-"

"Can you take me to Wayne Enterprises? I'm friends with Bruce Wayne." Zatanna boasts. 

I bite my lip. "Bruce isn't to keen on unsuspecting visits. Stuff like old friends showing up throws off his schedule. He's a very easily distracted man. I can call him and see if he's free." I suggest.

Zatanna claps enthusiastically before taking a swig of her tea. I sigh and dial Bruce.

"Are you alright?" He asks worriedly. 

"I'm fine. Do you know a Miss Zatanna Zatara?"

I can hear Bruce contemplating how to respond. "I knew her father. He helped teach me many things when I was younger. Why do you ask?"

"I'm giving her a tour of the city and she is requesting to come see you."

He groans slightly. "Tell her I'll get some lunch with her. Bring her to the Italian restaurant near Wayne Enterprises. Dick is working with Lucius today so you can go visit him while I catch up with her."

"Alright. Bye, Bruce."

Zatanna smirks. "What did he say?"

"He's going to have lunch with you. I guess I'll show you around after lunch-"

"There's no need. Bruce will take me."

I bite my lip. "He's a busy man, Zatanna..."

"I know that! Bruce and I have always had a very special bond. Fun fact, he took my virginity."

I spit out some of my frappuccino. I hurriedly wipe it up with a napkin. "Why would you tell me that?"

She shrugs and tosses her empty cup into the garbage.

"Come on, Barbara. You got to get me to my lunch date."

I reluctantly follow after her. Zatanna seems to know where she is going. I'm like dead weight that she is dragging behind her.  I give Bruce a small wave as Zatanna heads over to embrace him.

 I double back to Wayne Enterprises. The receptionist allows me into the elevator. I head to the bottom floor and towards the metal shop. Sparks are flying and I can spot Dick hunched over a table. He spots me after a minute of watching him work.

"Barbara! Why are you here?"

"Bruce and Zatanna are having lunch. Are they an item or something?"

Dick drops his helmet. He grabs a rag and wipes the glistening sweat off of his body. "She's much nicer as Zatanna the superhero than Zatanna the illusionist. It's a facade to throw people off. "

"How have people not figured out that they are the same person?"

"Ignorance." Dick chuckles.

I sigh. "Can I come with you to help out with Young Justice? I'm interested in meeting the real Zatanna."

Dick nods. "You can come whenever you want. She'll probably figure out your identity, though. She's very close with Bruce and therefore knows me and now she knows you. She's very intelligent."

I roll my eyes and punch his arm lightly. "If she's so smart, how about you go date her then?"

Dick's eyes widen with surprise.

"Gosh, I'm kidding!"