Chapter 15 - Star City

"What did Bruce want?"

"He yelled at me for about half an hour before I was able to tell him about Zachary. He's heading to the Watch Tower to confront Zachary now. He doesn't take the whole 'revealing secret identities' thing very seriously."

"What about Wally?"

Dick sighs and glances over at his friend. "We need to keep him here for a few days. I know he won't tell anyone, but this will take some getting used to. It's always been the five of us, now it's the six."

"This is insane!" Wally screams.

I roll my eyes. "I know, I know. Can you calm down for just a second?"

Wally flinches and returns to checking out all of the equipment of the Batcave. 

"Look, Babs." Dick starts. "I have to get back to Bludhaven. I want nothing more than to stay with you but I've been away too long-"

"I understand." I smile. "Plus, we're only one zeta tube away-"

"Barbara, I won't be visiting Gotham as much as you might think. Not only do I have to keep up my facade at Bludhaven, but running the Young Justice team, being their vigilante, working with the Teen Titans-"

I interrupt, "Oh." It felt like losing Dick all over again. 

"I love you, Babs. Nothing will change that." He murmurs. 

"I love you too, Dick."

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

"Dick went back to Bludhaven."

Bruce sighs and continues typing on the Batcomputer. "Can you come hack this?"

I smirk. "Is it too hard for the itty bitty baby?"

"Barbara..." Bruce growls. 

I chuckle and take my seat next to him at the table. I begin typing as I glance at him."What am I hacking?"

"The Gotham Police Department."

I raise an eyebrow. "I could just log in. I work there."

"It's classified documents."

"You don't think I'm high up enough to get classified documents?"

"No. Work."

I roll my eyes and continue hacking. I breach the firewall and pull up a list of all the documents in the system. 

"I'll take over for now. Will you go get Tim and suit up?" Bruce inquires.

"Sure. Good luck."

I walk up the steps and out through the bookshelf. I find Tim in the study finishing up his calculus homework in the library. I cross my arms and wait for him to notice me.

Alfred's voice booms through the PA system. "Miss Gordon, there is a visitor at the door for you."

I shove Tim into the Batcave and slowly close it. I creep out to the foyer where Alfred stands with a tall man with shaggy brunette hair.  He's dressed in a gray suit that fits his muscular build well.

"Barbara Gordon! It's a pleasure to meet you. My name's Raymond Palmer and I came here to speak with you. Do you mind leaving us to talk in private, Alfred?"

Alfred bows slightly and ducks out of the foyer and to the kitchen. I lead Ray to the formal living room and motion for him to sit down. He smiles and takes a step towards me.

"I came here to ask you about your programming skills."

"I think you have me mistaken. I'm a forensic psychologist."

"I know you programmed the Gotham library website and you updated a new firewall into the GCPD's data base. So, if you want to lie to me again you can try." Ray smirks, knowing he has defeated me.

I sigh. "Look, I'm not interested in any job offers."

Raymond smiles. "Your last job almost got you killed along with your father. My headquarters is in Star City but I've been considering opening up one here; in Gotham. Would you help me program my new systems? I've been recently hacked and I would not like it to happen again."

I bite my lip. "If you build a building here I'll program it for you."

Ray lets out a small squeal. "It has been fun doing business  with you."

Raymond drops a small card in my hand and saunters out of the door.  I glance down and input his number into my phone before jogging to the bookshelf.  I duck in and sprint down the stairs. Tim's motorcycle is gone and Bruce is hunched over the computer. 

"What did Raymond Palmer want?"

"He offered me a job for his new building. He's opening one in Gotham."

I grab my suit off of the mannequin and duck into the changing room.

"Deal with that tomorrow, now you can head out on patrol. Tim is watching the bank since I heard a tip that a robbery will be taking place shortly. Patrol around that area and be prepared to go in." Bruce states.

I head over to my motorbike and click on my communications system. "Are you coming out tonight?"

"I'm busy but I'll head out if the bank is robbed."

I rev my engine and zoom off in the night.