Chapter 8 - The Pregnancy Test

I sauntered into Wayne Enterprises the next day with a spiffy new gray pencil skirt and a matching blazer. My heels clicked against the marble floor. 

"Excuse me, ma'am, do you have some ID?" The security guard inquired. 

"Hi! I'm a friend of Bruce Wayne's. Can you tell him that Barbra Gordon is hear to see him?" I chirped.

The receptionist nodded her head and ducked into the elevator. She came back a few moments later and I could tell she was anxious about having to lie about his whereabouts.

"He's a bit preoccupied with work."

I cleared my throat and let the fake tears flow. "This is really important! Please, I took a pregnancy test and-"

"Oh, um... Go ahead." She nervously prompted. 

I thanked her and headed for the elevator. I kept my sad face on as I know she was watching me from her desk. The moment I stepped into Bruce's office on the top floor I turned the acting off. Bruce glanced up from the ground and gave me a smile.

"Barbara!"

I didn't respond. I crossed my arms and stared at him. I only looked at him from the chin down. It definitely was him.

"Why didn't you let me come up?" I asked.

"To be honest, I figured you came up here to ask me on a date and I just wanted to say, I'm not interested." He gave me a charismatic smile.

I bit my lip. "I came here to ask when you were going to start trusting me."

Bruce's face drops for one moment but in what seems like an instant he's back to smiling.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

I took a step towards him. "I think you know what I'm talking about, Bat-"

Before I could finish, Bruce sprinted across the room and covered my mouth with his hand. "Be quiet. There are no cameras in here, but you shouldn't get used to saying that whenever you feel like it."

I scolded under his grip but remained silent.

"How do you know?" He whispered

I grabbed his hand and slowly moved it away from my face. "Last night, when I was driving Dick towards the bell tower-"

"Is he alright?"

"You haven't seen him?" I responded, shocked.

Bruce shook his head and I ran a hand through my hair. "I should go get him." I murmured. 

"I'll come too. Where did you park it?"

"The alley next to the bell-tower."

Bruce nodded and we stepped into the elevator. As I stared at the outline of his jaw, I wondered how I never saw it before.

I remembered, "Your receptionist thinks I'm pregnant with your baby-"

Bruce winked and interlocked our hands as we rushed out of the elevator.

"No matter how many times I tell you, you don't listen. Your roommate gave you fake ones to scare you, now come on. I 'll take you back to your place" He instructed.

The receptionist overheard as planned and gasped with disappointment. I could tell she was shooting to join Bruce in his bedroom some day. Bruce's hand raveled around my waist as he pushed me towards the garage. As soon as we entered the garage, he retook his arm. We hopped into my car. Bruce gunned it and I rolled down the window, placing a police siren on top. Bruce raised an eyebrow and I grinned.

"I come prepared."

We rolled into the alley a few minutes later. I rushed to the batmobile and  Bruce and I cracked it open. Together, we pulled Dick out. He was mumbling to himself and when his eyes eventually fluttered open, he was in the back of my car. I kneeled next to him as Bruce hopped in the driver's seat and began our ride to Wayne Manor. Dick hadn't bled through his bandages which is good. I peeled off his mask and stared at him. Without his mask but with his suit on, it was like my two worlds were converging. When he noticed his surroundings he stared back at me.

"Barbara-"

"Hold on." Bruce commanded as we barreled into the woods.

Dick grabbed my waist and pulled me towards him. I glanced out the front window to find us barreling into a waterfall. I flinched as we slid through the water and onto a track. I looked around in disbelief as we pull up to a large pad. The car spun as we exit and I helped Dick limp over to the medical table.

"I'll go get Alfred." Bruce stated, casually walking up a mysterious set of stairs.

I stared as he vanished and was only drawn back to reality as Dick squeezed my hand.

"How long have you known?" He murmured

"When I was driving you to the alley-"

"You're Batgirl." His voice was quiet with disbelief.

I bit my lip and nodded, describing how I saw Bruce's address and pieced it together. He didn't have time to respond as Alfred, their elderly butler comes prancing down the steps. I left so that Alfred can focus on his clean-up.

The Butler announced, "Master Bruce is waiting for you upstairs."

I nodded and headed up the mysterious stair case. I pushed open the door to find myself walking out of a clock. I had to duck to protect my head. Bruce was sitting at a mahogany desk, furiously writing on a notebook. He glanced up as I enter.

"Barbara." He greeted me.

I gave him a small smile before sitting down. I crossed my legs and waited for him to say something. Bruce cautiously watched me before beginning, "Once we find your father, you are done. I know you might have though things changed, but I will not have you risking your life. Your father would agree with me if he was hear right now."

My happiness disintegrates into a scowl as I leaped out of the chair. "You have no idea what my father would say! And the reason he isn't here right now is because you failed to protect him!" I clenched my fists together.

"My father would want me to do this." I spat, crossing my arms and sprinting down to the batcave. I changed into my suit and grabbed some of his supplies. I stuffed a few more grapples into my belt and some batarangs.

"Where are you going?" Dick inquired as I pass by his cot.

"Out." I bit my lip.

"Bruce can be strict sometimes. He just doesn't want you to throw your life away." Dick warned.

"I'm not."