XX - Atkins

XX - Atkins

"I'm not sure Rory..." Nikki mumbles from the other side and I frown. I grab my cell phone and switch it to my left ear as I stack the randomly spread papers around my desk neatly.

"Why are you not sure?"

"It's pretty obvious that you fancy Louis."

"I do, but he doesn't, and I know better than to let some guy control my happiness."

"Don't make this about feminism!" She scolds, "it's not about that. You're being unfair."

"And how exactly am I doing that?" I ask, leaving the papers and focussing on the phone conversation with my friend.

"You're being unfair to yourself because you're not giving yourself what you truly want," I roll my eyes at my friend's cheesy words, "And you're being unfair to Zayn because as long as you like Louis, you can't give your hundred percent to Zayn!"

"I love Zayn, Nikki. I've loved him for four years!" I yell, "He's the first person I've ever loved that way!"

"You loved him Rory! I know you did. But you're over him now!"

"I'll always love him Nikki, maybe not how I used to, but... It's Zayn!"

"You're being ridiculous Rory! I know you love him, we all do, but it's not the the of love you have in relationships." She huffs, "And do you remember how you guys broke up?" I do not need to be reminded of this right now, "He dumped you over a text message!" She yells making me wince, "He just said that you guys were over and he was going to Australia, the fucktard even changed his number so you couldn't contact him!"

"Nikki don't-"

"I can't believe you're still defending him!" She yells again, "Stop worshipping him, for fuck's sake Rory!"

"Stop yelling at me! You know what? Just because you got someone to fuck you more than once, doesn't mean you're a relationship expert."

There's silence in both sides, the only sound being our heavy breaths from the incessant yelling.

I messed up... I messed up big time.

"I'm sorry Ni-"

"Fuck you!" I wince at her harsh tone, "here I am, trying to help you out but all you can do is be a complete bitch to me."

"I wasn't thinking, Nikki please! I was really angry..." I mumble repeatedly apologising to my friend, "You know how I get when I'm pissed. Please Nikki, I didn't mean to-"

She huffs cutting me off. "Alright, it's okay. It's just... I want you to know what you're doing."

"I just want to see where this goes, this thing with Zayn."

"Okay, go ahead then. Just don't lead him on or anything cruel like that."

"I won't." I promise, "it's just that I already told him how I feel and he's made it clear that my feelings are unrequited, and I don't want to be that girl who gets crushed for some guy."

"Good." I sigh, "I'm sorry for yelling at you. It's just... Ugh! Liam has been giving me a cold shoulder since I told him about me and Harry and it's all taking a toll on me."

"Wait a second, why is he still pissed at you?"

"Dunno, keeps saying I should've told him sooner and that he doesn't like Harry."

"Sheesh, the guy's getting cranky."

"Tell me about it."

Both of us giggle, "Okay, I gotta go now." I tell her seeing my colleague enter the office.