Ch. 23 ~The Wild One

Lizzy's POV

After dinner, I helped feed horses, and bring in horses. Crackers was already in her stall, so I just brought in Jackie and Peaches.

After my evening barn tasks, I went back inside to pack for our trip. We are leaving tomorrow morning, and I guess Aunt Steph and Uncle Pat have everything taken care of. I know that the stable hand-Kelly-is taking care of the horses and barn while we are gone.

I went up the stairs and into me and Gigi's room. Gigi was in there too-packing as well.

"Are you excited for the trip?" Gigi asked.

"Yes! Are you?" I asked her as I pulled a few shirts of of their hangers.

"Yeah, I'm excited to go see the mustangs. We got Jazz and Tiger Lily from the same BLM, so I'm excited to go back," Gigi said.

"Oh, I didn't know that," I said. "When did you get Jazz and Tiger Lily?" I asked.

"We got them when I was 7 and Brittany was 10," Gigi said.

"Cool, who did you ride before you guys got them?" I asked.

Gigi smiled. "I always rode Peaches, and Brittany would usually ride Rookie, but sometimes she would ride Storm," she informed me.

"I didn't know that," I said, and packed a few more clothing items with me. It was easy to pack since it was only going to be 4 days.

"Do you think you'll see your 'Rumor Horse'?" Gigi asked.

Everybody had found out about me and Rumor when the sheriff came one day to talk to me about Rumor and what would happen to him. He had asked me about it in front of the whole family, so now everybody knows. Usually, I would've just lied, but you can't lie to the sheriff, can you?

"I hope so," is all I said, then got up, and packed all of my toiletries.

***

When I was finished packing, it was pretty late, and I was getting tired. "Well, tomorrow's gonna be a big day, so I'm gonna go to bed," I told Gigi, and she said she was going to do the same.

We climbed into bed, and flicked the lamp off. I closed my eyes, and thought about what could happen, or couldn't happen, when we go to Nevada.

***

The next morning, it was complete chaos. Rachel couldn't find her phone charger, Alex forgot to pack something, etc. etc.

Lucky for me, I was totally ready.

I threw my bag into the family's car, and then snuck off to go say a final goodbye to Crackers.

I opened her stall, and closed it behind me. I gave her a pat, and started talking to her.

"Crackers, we are going on a trip to Nevada," I said, and she pricked her ears at me. "Sorry, girl, you can't come though," I said, and after I had said that, she pinned her ears back and swished her tail. I laughed. It's like she can understand exactly what I'm saying! "Don't worry though! I'll be back in 4 days. And then, we can practice for the rodeo like crazy," I promised her, and I guess she was satisfied with that answer.

"Lizzy! Come get into the car!" Brittany called from the stable entrance.

"Coming!" I called back, then reached in my pocket, and produced a carrot. "Here you go girl, but you didn't get it from me," I whispered to Crackers, and she pretty much inhaled it. I smiled, and gave her a quick hug while she munched on her treat. I exited her stall, and said, "Bye girl!", and then ran off to the car.

I piled in, with Aunt Steph, Rachel, Brittany, and Gigi. Alex and Uncle Pat were taking the truck and trailer, and we all couldn't fit in the truck, so this is our compromise.

"Are we all ready?" Aunt Steph asked us. We all nodded and said yes, and then, we were off. I put on my headphones, and turned on my music. I closed my eyes, preparing for the long car ride ahead of us....

***

After a long car ride, and a trip to McDonald's (shudders fearfully), we finally arrived at the house we are renting. Uncle Pat and Alex were already there, so we grabbed our bags and knocked on the front door. Alex opened it, and then we all ran around the house, yelling at the top of our lungs trying to claim which rooms we want. Lucky for us, in this house, there is enough rooms for everyone to have their own. It'll be nice to have a break from sharing-not that I don't like it.

My room was perfect! I nice closet, my own bathroom (score!), and best of all, a HUGE SQUISHY BED!!!!!!!!

I like huge squishy beds.

A lot.

I threw my bag on the floor, and jumped onto the bed, and landed on my back. Aaahhh. I closed my eyes, just for a minute, and I felt relaxed. But just as soon as I had felt relaxed, this is what I hear:

"LIZZY!!!!! C'mon! We're leaving to the BLM now! Let's go!"

I don't know who said it, but immediately, I got off of the bed, and ran down the winding staircase.

Just like before, we all piled into our cars, and were driving off. We weren't taking the trailer with us today; we are just looking at the horses.

Only a few short minutes later, we pulled through the gates, and into the long, dirt driveway of the BLM, and I saw corrals filled with mustangs! I immediately felt bad for the horses. It must be tough coming from the wild to be penned up with a bunch of other horses.

Aunt Steph parked the car, and we all hopped out of the car, and met Uncle Pat and Alex, who were talking with a young lady.

When we stopped next to them, the lady started speaking to us.

"Hi everyone! My name is Sandy, and welcome to the Bureau of Land Management. If you have any questions, just ask me, and I will be at your side in seconds," Sandy said with a megawatt smile. I smiled back, but I was sorta distracted. I was trying to look for Rumor, but so far, no sign of him.

"Do you happen to have any buckskin stallions?" I asked Sandy.

"Oh yes! We have plenty. Unfortunately, a few days ago, a buckskin stallion got out of his pen by jumping over the fence, and when he tried to jump the outer fence, someone threw a rope over his neck, and he fell and sprained part of his leg. He's currently at the nearest animal hospital, but the vets aren't sure if they will be able to help him. He's a wild one, too. It's a shame; he was so beautiful too," Sandy said with a frown.

My heart fell to my feet and shattered.

I know that the horse is Rumor.

He's only been here for a few days.

He's extremely agile and fit.

And he is for sure a wild one.

***

A/N: hey guys! I hope u like this chapter! Sorry the last one was so short 😁 oh well please comment and vote thanks guys ilysm bye!

Ps, I would have done a longer authors note, but it's late and I'm tired. Ok, bye!😘😍💖