Ch. 22 ~Family Vacation

Lizzy's POV

I urged Crackers into a fast canter. Today, I was practicing my barrel racing. I'm really excited, cause Aunt Steph and Uncle Pat are going to host a "schooling" rodeo. I'm going to enter me and Crackers in it for barrel racing. So that's why I need to practice.

I pointed her towards the first barrel. We reached it, and then we turned sharply and swiftly around it, and dashed off to the next barrel. We swerved around that one, and soon enough we turned around the third one. Then, we went full out to the finish line, and when we passed it, I was sure that that was one of our best rounds.

"Good girl Crackers! You were flying!" I praised Crackers. She shook her mane, and stomped her front hoof. "Aw, you want to go again, don't you girl," I said to Crackers, and she bobbed her head as if to say, "Of course!" I laughed. "You are so sweet, but unfortunately, I still have some chores in the house that I have to finish. Sorry girl," I said, and cooled her down.

When she was cool, I dismounted her, and led her to the barn. I replaced her bridle with her halter, and took off her saddle and saddle rug, and lugged it to the tack room. I came right back to Crackers, and curried her sweaty spots. Then I stuck her in her stall, and jogged back to the house.

Quickly, I cleaned my part of the room, and brought my dirty laundry to the laundry room. Next, I made my bed, and organized my desk. When I came to a picture of me and my parents that was on my desk, I looked at it for a minute. It was a pretty recent picture. We were skiing on our family vacation, and little did I know that in about 2 months, my life would change forever. Tears filled my eyes, and I set the framed picture down next to my lamp. I shook off my sadness, and thought about how great Crackers was today. That made me smile. Whenever I feel sad about my parents, I know I can always think of Crackers, and smile.

That's why I was so scared the day she was missing. If I didn't have Crackers in my life, I don't know what would make me happy during the times that were hardest for me.

Finally, I went through all of my clothes, and picked out all of the clothes that were either too small for me, or that I didn't want anymore. When I had a decent pile, I stuck them in a canvas grocery bag, and brought them downstairs. By then, it was time to wash up for dinner.

I ran to the bathroom and washed my hands. I fixed my hair, too. My blonde hair was originally in a braid, but somehow, parts of it had escaped the braid, and it looked like a rat's nest. I untangled parts of my hair with my fingers, then quickly put it up into a high ponytail.

I walked out of the bathroom, and saw Aunt Steph had all of the food on the table, except there were no napkins, place mats, or silverware. "Would you like me to set the table?" I asked her.

"Oh I knew I was forgetting something! Yes, that would be great, Lizzy," Aunt Steph said, and shook her head.

I grabbed all of the stuff needed, and placed it on the table. "Done," I said to myself.

"Dinner!" Aunt Steph yelled, and from every hallway and room, somebody walked out. 

Today, Rachel and Alex would be joining us. I'm not sure why, but it must be something important. Or maybe they're just visiting. I don't know.

Finally, everyone was here, sitting around the table. We asked God for a blessing, then dug into our food. I put a heap of salad on my plate. It was so good!

We all kind of chatted for a while, but then, Aunt Steph and Uncle Pat looked at each other, then started talking to all of us.

"We have an announcement," Aunt Steph said, and the whole table was quiet. She looked at Uncle Pat.

"We, are going on a family vacation!" Uncle Pat said, and everybody was wearing smiles. When he said that, it made me thing of the picture of me and my parents that was on my desk. My smile faltered for just a brief second, but then it was back on the next moment.

"Where are we going?" Brittany asked. 

"We are going to Nevada," Uncle Pat answered. "We are going to pick up a few mustangs from the BLM there that we are going to train for our mustang program, and we are going to rent a house and stay there for 4 days," he continued.

Wait, Nevada, the BLM! That's where Rumor is! Maybe we can adopt him, and then set him free when we come back!

Then Aunt Steph looked at me. She knew exactly what I was thinking. "We are NOT, going to adopt the buckskin horse that has been stealing mares here, Lizzy," she said, and I frowned. "Besides, he's been there for a few days, and he's very strong and beautiful, somebody's bound to have adopted him by now, too," she reminded me.

I had thought about that, but tried to push it out of my head. But now, there was no stopping the thought. 

But there is the possibility that he's still there. And that's enough for me to keep my hopes up.

***

A/N: hi guys! sorry that it's been sooooooo long since Ive updated! It's been hard for me to figure out what I want to happen for the rest of this book, but lucky for you all, I have figured it out :):):) *smiles evily* and I also wrote it down so I wont forget!:D I want to thank u all for 700+ views!!!!!! :-0 :-)) ok bye guys;)