Ch. 17 ~Wanted

5 days later

Lizzy's POV

FINALLY! I can ride!

I ran into the barn, and grabbed Crackers. I quickly got her ready to ride, and right as I was about to mount, a big champagne colored Mercedes, and a sheriff's car pulled through the gates of Legend Ranch. Then, the driver in the Mercedes slammed on his horn, and scared Crackers, and she reared up. I pulled on the reigns from the ground, praying she would place all 4 feet on the ground. Then she did, and I relaxed.

Big. Mistake.

Crackers bolted forward, and the reigns slipped right through my hands, searing my palms. She was zooming towards the open gates! "Crackers! Whoah girl!" I cried, and the sheriff got out of his car, and stood right in her way so she couldn't get through the gates.

"Settle now," I heard him say. Crackers skidded to a halt, and her sides we're puffing. I walked over to her and the sheriff, my face crimson.

"Thank you, sir," I said quietly and took the reigns back from him.

"No problem. Mr. Bentley shouldn't have honked his horn when you were right there," the sherif said sympathetically. "Are Mr. and Mrs. Jackson here?" he asked.

"Yes, they are in the barn office," I said, and pointed to the barn.

"Thank you," then he walked over to Mr. Bentley.

But then Mr. Bentley walked up to me.

"What were you doin' with your horse right in the middle of the driveway?" he boomed at me.

"That part is safe for riders to be on," I said. "I did nothing wrong. You shouldn't have blared your horn at us. You scared the living day lights out of Crackers!" I said, then led Crackers back to where we were, and climbed on her. We headed for the trail, and I was glad to be away from Mr. Bentley. I didn't even know who he was!

***

Nobody in particular's POV

Mr. Bentley stormed into the barn office, with the sheriff trailing behind him. The two took a seat, and then Mr. Bentley thrust a flier in Aunt Steph and Uncle Pat's face, then he began to speak.

"My horse has been stolen, but not by a person. A mustang stole him! I saw it with my own two eyes! I tried to go after my mare, but the two horses were long gone. Now, with the sheriff's permission, I'm offering a reward to whomever finds my mare and brings her home, along with that stallion! I'm offering $10,000, so I would appreciate it if you spread the word around," Mr. Bentley said.

"Slow down, what 'stallion'? There aren't mustangs around here," Uncle Pat said.

"Well, actually, we have found proof that there are. We have found evidence from where Periwinkle-Mr. Buck's mare-got 'stolen' by a mustang, and your fence that is broken shows that a horse from outside of it kicked it down. Also, Mr. Bentley caught a short clip of the mustang with his mare for my office," the sheriff said.

Aunt Steph and Uncle Pat just sat there, astonished.

"Well," Aunt Steph started. "Unfortunately, we are not going to participate in a big search for your mare, Mr. Bentley. There is too much work to be done around here, so I'm very sorry. But, we will post your flier on our board," she finished.

"Thank you for your time and consideration," Mr. Bentley said, then he and the sheriff strolled out of the office, and to their cars. The sheriff drove out of the gates, while Mr. Bentley roared the engine, and spun his Mercedes in a circle, and zoomed out of the gates.

***

Lizzy's POV

When Crackers and I came back from our trail ride, Mr. Bentley and the sheriff were gone. Phew!

I led Crackers inside, then untracked her and groomed her. I let her out in her stall paddock, and then strolled down the isle, when something caught my eye. I looked over at the cork board, and there was a WANTED poster. I looked closer at it.

WANTED
A BLACK ARABIAN MARE HAS BEEN STOLEN BY WANTED MUSTANG

GOES BY THE NAME OF EBONY

ALSO, A BUCKSKIN MUSTANG STALLION THAT HAS STOLEN MY MARE, HAS BEEN SEEN, AND HE IS WANTED, TOO

REWARD FOR BOTH: $10,000

WHEN FOUND, CONTACT RICK BENTLEY

CELL: (503)-123-3210

My heart stopped when I read this. I know they're talking about Rumor. I started towards the barn office, but then I stopped myself. I can't tell Aunt Steph or Uncle Pat! I promised Rumor that he would stay a secret, but I also promised him that I would keep him safe. The only way he is safe now is if he is never seen again, but he keeps stealing mares, so somebody's bound to see him! Mr. Bentley did.

Think Lizzy think! What can I do so he is never seen again. Hmm, well, if he wasn't in this area, nobody could find him. Maybe I can somehow make him flee to another area! Yeah, that's a good idea, except for one question:

How?

A/N: hey guys sorry this is short but I'm deciding to be nice and update during my vacation time! So be thankful. Lol. Anyway, please comment and vote just do it please. Thanks!! Random question: what's your favorite subject in school? I love art and language arts, did I already ask this question? Sorry I'm getting really confused. Ok bye guys!!